1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] The Terms of D-Mo's Offer Sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 3, 2016.

1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

I agree with you.

For the Nets, they are $9m below the salary cap floor, so paying DMo this year is effectively free money.

Their level of talent is so low, their salary cap from must be retained players so low, that effectively DMo is free money again next year. Eg, all they need to do is let Scola go next year, and DMo becomes $3m extra. Makes sense for the Nets. Not as much for the Rockets.

Jatman20 likes this.
  2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yeah, I have trouble trusting Prokhorov. He was collecting all the Eastern European
    Block players. I remember when Andre Kirilenko signed for well below market price.
    Other teams filed complaints that the Russian billionaire may have an under the table
    money-deal benefiting Kirilenko. Nothing developed; but it's suspicious to me on how
    they had a falling out. Kirilenko acted like he was short changed. Fast forward to today.
    $5 million is an expensive get out of jail card (x about 15-20 games); but what
    if D-Mo gets $5 mil from the Nets....waived......signs with the Cavs or Warriors as a
    free agent at that point for something like $4-5 mil. D-Mo in essence could get $9-10
    million this year (if the contract is just for the remaining of this season) and be a free
    agent this summer. With a good playoff run with an elite team could bring D-Mo
    $15-20 (or more) mil with guarantees (yrs). Prokhorov receive an under the table
    kick-back from D-Mo (maybe 1.5 mil). Just a conspiracy theory. I'm sure the Nets
    want D-Mo just for them. (If waived I think it goes to highest secret bid like Boozer
    got from the Lakers).

#122 Jatman20, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sure, they could do that. It's no different from doing it as two separate transactions. But the team would need enough cap room for the S&T'd player. More likely (especially if they have D-Mo), they'd try to move out enough salary in a S&T deal to utilize salary-matching rules (i.e., 150% + $100k).

heypartner likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Cool thanks. I wasn't sure if you could specify an execution order for the multiple transactions within a simultaneous trade, such that the first one frees up cap room for the subsequent one. Needed clarity on whether all transactions had to work using the caproom number prior to the trade.

like this example
    • Team A has $10m in caproom
    • Free Agent X wants $20m
    • Team B signs X for $20m and SnTs him to A for Player Y making $10m
    • A does two transactions.
      1) Y for cash from B (frees up $10m)
      2) B for a pick (using $20m in the new caproom total)
    @BimaThug

#124 heypartner, Dec 4, 2016
  5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

It's been reported that the Nov 23rd deadline was important to the Rockets. Supposedly
    the last day the Rockets could sign D-Mo and still be eligible to be traded this season.
    So a SnT is still in play Bima? I just found it convenient of the timing by the Nets after
    that deadline to present this offer sheet. The NBA has so many funny rules on transactions.
    Nene has to wait until Dec 15th to be traded while Bobby Brown has to wait until Dec 23rd
    I believe. Bobby because when he signed on with Houston (a player has to wait
    3 months after when Brown signed). It's so hard to keep up with them all.

#125 Jatman20, Dec 4, 2016
  6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Why would this need to be two separate transactions if the same two teams are involved? Why not just trade Player X in exchange for the pick (and, if the other team wants it, cash)? The end result must be that Team A can be no more than $100k over the cap when the trade(s) is complete.

On the other hand, let's say Team A had NO cap room. It could instead trade Players Y and Z making a combined $15 million, either to Team B or to a third team as part of a three-team trade, and utilize salary-matching rules in order to exceed the cap to bring in the S&T'd Player X with a $20 million salary. Meanwhile, Team A preserves its salary cap exceptions (MLE, BAE) to use elsewhere.

If the Rockets match on D-Mo, I see this as a more likely sign-and-trade scenario . . . albeit ANY sort of sign-and-trade deal involving another team's star player would be unlikely to happen in any event.

7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

D-Mo cannot be signed-and-traded. Players cannot be signed-and-traded once the regular season begins. Even if they could, D-Mo has already signed the offer sheet. D-Mo and the Nets would both need to agree to tear up the offer sheet before a sign-and-trade deal could happen. But again, no sign-and-trade deals allowed during the season.

craguin and Bobbythegreat like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

X for a pick requires more caproom. Do you mean X for Player Y?

Looks like I didn't state it clearly:
    • Player X signs for $20m.
    • Team A only has $10m in caproom
    • Team A has Player Y making $10m

So, you're saying just SnT X for Y, and the league just counts your caproom at the end of the trade...in this case perfectly at $0.

thx for being patient with me. Sometimes I overly complicate my questions to you.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yes, I meant to include Player Y.

Teams that are under the salary cap do NOT need to comply with salary-matching rules if they constrain what they can do. They can pick the more favorable rules in trades, as long as the result of the trade does not put them more than $100,000 above the cap.

heypartner likes this.
  10. txn

txn Member

Eric Gordon ;)

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's already on the team.

12. txn

txn Member

I agree with what you said about Cap room. My point is adding D-Mo won't make that much of impact like Patrick Beverley does to this team. Do you think adding D-Mo will give you a 5+ winning games? If not, you don't call that an upgrade. So why don't we just keep the current flow going and eyeing a potential roster upgrade in the summer? Without D-Mo, we probably a 55-57 win team. With him, we still a 55-57 range team.

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Ok thanks. Clears that up.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't think it is worth matching.
    I don't see he'd be ahead of Nene/ Harrell in the rotation by default, would be good insurance in case of injury I guess? But would be a 1 year rental unless options taken up - and options mean he can't be traded next summer, so locking up a lot of caproom for a guy who maybe can't play NBA level anymore?

He was atrocious last season. Worse than JSmoove.

Jatman20 likes this.
  15. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I tend to agree with you DrNuegebauer. Everyone is fixated on D-Mo's 14/15 season.
    *He shot a good portion of that season at around 40% from 3. It dropped to 37% by yrs end.
    *12 Pts a game.
    *6 rebounds a game.

*D-Mo had less than 6.2 Pts a game, less than 3.6 rebounds a game every other year, less than 29% (3P%).
    *D-Mo averaged 28.7 mins a game in 14/15 season. Less than 15.4 mins every other year. D-Mo
    probably won't get minutes to match the 14/15 season. He might get more like 20 minutes.
    So people may see about 7.5 Pts a game and 4-5 rebounds [This year....maybe].

But it looks like the Rockets are leaning towards signing D-Mo. I was hoping for a trade
    for Nerlens/Stauskas or Willie Carley-Stein/Rudy Gay.....maybe Nene can be moved when
    eligible. Neither the Kings nor Philly will want a big man in return. Each team has way
    too many on their rosters. Set Nene free to earn his new contract this summer and get
    something in return. D-Mo does have some positives that he can bring to the Rockets.
    Familiarity with most of the teammates, city & post ups being a few. I will welcome him
    back if it comes down to matching. I hope Morey can still deal to address some of the
    flaws this team still has. Replacements for Brewer/KJ. Coaches don't trust KJ and I
    don't trust Brewer.

#135 Jatman20, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

From what I can see of the contract, it's a horrible one for DMO and BJ as it puts all the risk on them with "outs" every year that the contract is in effect. If it was gonna be a deal like this, then if I was DMO I'd really rather just have the 2 year guaranteed at 7M per year, because then if your health checks out you can sign a proper contract 2 years from now. OTH, if your back fails you at least you get 14M to leave the rest of your life in peace.

Now, if DMO is forced to medically retire within the 4 years he's not gonna get a dime whether it's from the Rox or from the Nets. OTH, if his health checks out he's locked to 8-9M per year for the next 4 years even if he blows up and starts putting up 20 pts and 11 rebs every night. It's like high risk low reward on Dmo's part, like one post said it's like Morey wrote the tersm of the contract himself.

As for matching or not I hope the Rox do match because this is already great value for DMO, and great value contracts are need if you want to build a championship team. Even if DMO has no trade clauses or whatever, the Rox can trade other personnel if they really need capspace to sign a star.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Rox just paid 20M for Ryan Anderson who gives the team 12 pts and 6 rebs a game on average, it's a no brainer to pay half that amount for DMo. DMo can play C or PF, he can actually play alongside Anderson for the ultimate spacing 5 with Gordon Harden and Ariza, every guy on the floor will be able to shoot 3s.

18. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Really appreciate the write-up man, great job.

19. basketballholic

We shouldn't overlook the obvious here as well. DMo could still be used as a trade pawn as long as the Nets have cap space. The Nets want DMo. And unless he gets injured they are more than willing to pay him for the second season. They had been in discussions with the Rockets concerning sign-and-trades up until the season began and have continued to have discussions about trades with us since then.

The Nets are rebuilding. They want quality young players and they want first round draft picks. But they have no reason to tank because they don't own a high first round draft pick for the next two seasons. And we have a good reason to help them improve their product today.

There could be a situation develop where we make a trade with them and we release DMo to them after matching this offer sometime later in the season. If waived the Nets would be one of the few and first teams with the oppportunity to claim him.

Just to take it a step further, we could match this offer, release DMo, after Jan. 10, then if he clears waivers, the Nets could sign him to a fresh deal that guarantees only the first year and makes the next 3 years non-guaranteed or possibly a much lower guarantee for the second season or many other variations.

There is a certain synergy between the Nets, Rockets, Celtics, and Kings that bears watching over the next few days, weeks, months until the DeMarcus situation reaches a resolution. If we don't match here.....look for Brewer to possibly become a Net at some point in the future.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yes Roslolian, I understand where you are coming from. To strengthen your case even more. D-Mo
    hasn't had the type of shooters that the Rockets currently have. Like Hardens numbers increasing
    with spread the court shooters....so can D-Mo's. One of the reasons D-Mo shot 44% from 3 in the
    5-game series vs the Warriors. The Warriors went into the series thinking clog the lane so Harden
    has traffic to contend with and stay close to Ariza/Bev on the perimeter (because D-Mo shot poorly
    from 3 during the season). The Warriors also left Brewer open as well begging them to shoot, much
    like they did with Andre Roberson of the Thunder. Yes D-Mo plays C/PF and so does Nene.
    Nene is averaging 17-18 minutes a game. D-Mo doesn't come back without somebody losing
    minutes on the court (Harrell and Nene). Again it took Capela all preseason and about 3 weeks
    in November to build his tolerance from 18 minutes to about 24 minutes a game now. Capela
    is younger, and fit (thinner), and not coming off a back surgery than D-Mo. So if that's an indication
    D-Mo may need every bit of this time until Jan 10th. Fact of the matter is if the Rockets match
    they need to have the mindset that it for the duration of the remainder of this season. It's
    not fair to D-Mo to judge D-Mo on this month of trying to get in D'Antoni system/scheme shape
    and then cut him Jan10th. I use to think that the Cavs had no chance vs the Warriors last season
    because they didn't have a lineup to match the lineup if death. But then they reduced Mozgov
    minutes and played more K Love at the 5 with Frye or LeBron at the 4. Cavs then won the
    championship. It helped that Bogut got hurt and the Cavs went 3-1 during/after said injury. The
    Cavs made a concerted effort to attack the rim with Bogut out. Festus and Draymond were
    exposed as not being so intimidating as they were with a Bogut playing his 20 minutes. The Cavs
    also lost probably their top shot blocker as a means to increase pace. So Tristan played 5 more.
    I like this discussion.....let me write more. Be patient.
    -cont-