1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] The Terms of D-Mo's Offer Sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 3, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cap room is not all that great when all teams have it, and many more will have it as the cap is going up 8-10m more next year.

DD

glenadyll likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Bust protection is about the same . Flexibility is not as you've and others have pointed out .

That's why I like to think of this as almost like a 2 year guaranteed deal .

The chances Dmo gets hurt after a month or two of playing is vastly smaller than the chances his back doesn't hold up for 5+ months .

Realistically if Dmo hasn't gotten hurt on March 1st you want to exercise the option because of the future value of his contract .

However if it's all about getting stars; guaranteeing that second year definitely diminishes flexibility + increases the chance that contract is for an injured player that you cannot trade without consent until December .

I hope he matches becuase I don't think our chance of getting a big FA are great . I think that if we do land one then we can trade to free space ( though it might cost us depth and picks) and finally I think Dmo can be a great addition/ needed insurance this year .

Our performance so far indicates that we might just be an interesting team in the playoffs and adding size with skill is usually a good bet.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This a 2-Year Guaranteed NO-Trade Contract, locked into the Rockets cap, as others have said, taking out the jargon

The ONLY way to get out the 2-Year guarantee is to waive D-Mo by March 1st. By then he would have pocketed about $9 mil for half a season. (D-Mo would have gotten around $7 mil from 1st Rockets offer so actually its not much money difference) But now it gets LOCKED into the cap as immovable "dead" money.

D-Mo's camp makes it look like they gave the Rockets an "out", but not really. Unless Rockets just WANT D-Mo for THIS year and are CONTENT with cap situation, as-in, D-Mo is basically the Rockets "big addition" for the year and roster is set, I don't see Rockets matching this.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you think potential cap room is more important than depth, fair enough.....what do you propose the Rockets do with your hypothetical 16 mil worth of cap space? What amazing player are you going to get for that in this market that would help the team so much?

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can someone list all the potential max stars that Morey will be interested to chase this off season?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And make sure to exclude all PF's given that they've already dumped 20 mil a year into that position for the foreseeable future.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not necessary. What if the Rockets do want to see if DMo can play? What if they simply do want to lose him before they have a chance to test him out? It's the simplest explanation.

The only risk is Les's $8.5M.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

But in the end what do we lose if we keep him only for this season? Cause if this doesn't cost us anything, why not match anyway (aside for the the fact the Les must throw out some money)?

I mean, you match and see what he can do in the next two/three months, meanwhile let's say we have the chance to make a big trade (let's say Anderson for Millsap, or a trade for Boogie...) and D.Mo plays well, you do the trade and just keep D.Mo for the next season. If we don't have any trade lined up and/or D.Mo sucks, at the deadline you just decline his 2017/18 contract...am i missing something?

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Hayward, Millsap, Griffin, Paul, Lowry...maybe Holiday?
    and obviously Durant lul

EDIT: you said "max stars" so, forget Holiday, i just read your post too fast lol

Easy and RasaqBoi like this.
  10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Ibaka too.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Millsap is a PF, so no go
    Griffin is a PF, so no go
    Paul isn't going anywhere

Basically the list is Hayward and Lowry......and Lowry already turned the Rockets down in FA once fairly recently and will be heading to the highest bidder wanting a full on max contract

Also, this ignores the fact that even if they clear cap space for a max FA which would be pretty tricky even without DMo, they still have Capela to throw a bag of cash at the very next off-season and I highly doubt Les wants to go that deep into the luxury.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

True, but i don't see us having interest in him, he's going to command a lot of money if not a max, and he's not as good as he was on defense, probably older than what we know...i'd pass with no esitation tbh.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can trade DMo. Why not? Veto just means you need his consent. Hell, he may even want to be traded.

If he doesn't return to 2015 levels by March 1st ... cut him.
    If he returns to 2015 levels or exceeds them, he becomes the most sought after contract we have ... it's a great "value contract".

You just have to find a good situation for DMo where he accepts the trade. Sure, it's harder that he has veto power, but surely doable. I don't know much of anything about who could clear DMo's salary off our books, but just for the sake of a talking about teams he'd jump at, I'm sure he wouldn't veto a trade to Boston, for instance, a glamour contender with a starting PF role up for grabs, and a great coach who runs a passing system ideally suited for him.

14. valorita

valorita Member

We can always create cap space vis trades, especially when lots of teams have it.
    If a premier player wants to come, it is not that hard to coordinate.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

But you'd be in on Millsap?

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well i think he's willing to do it if it's worth it (Howard, Bosh, Parsons, Harden etc should've been in luxury i think...?), but anyway, wasn't Lowry ok in coming here but we just made him wait too long and he signed with Toronto? I kinda remember it this way...

Also, there're some rumors talking about the Spurs going all in on CP3, and if he'll sign there i can see Blake leaving too, and i don't see a lot of better places for him than us so, i wouldn't turn this scenario down.

Millsap is probably one of the very few (2 or 3?) all stars with a decent chance to change team during the season, and you have to think we may have some interest in him.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, you keep listing PF's and unless you think they can trade away Anderson, that's simply not going to happen.....and if you are planning on getting rid of Anderson, it shouldn't matter if DMo is on the roster or not.

As to Lowry, do you really want to give him a max 4 year deal with him over 30?

Anyway, I just think that a free agency pipe dream is not the best way to go.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There no reason to say PFs are a no go. Anderson does not have Veto Power. You're just saying this to sour ppl on Ryno, it seems.

Anderson plays 14 minutes while Griffin rests, and he plays 10 minutes of double PF. Ryno is a perfect match for playing with Griffin and stretching the floor for him in a 1-2-3-4-4 lineup.

Griffin is PERFECT for MDA and Harden

Now, can we clear cap space for him? ... I betcha basketballholic could. :D

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you think ti's realistic to drop something like 50 mil a year into the PF spot? I'm not saying that I wouldn't want to have him or whatever, I just can't see the team going that route. If they are going after a max guy I would think it would have to be some kind of guard or SF. Maybe a center if they plan on moving on from Capela (which I wouldn't like)

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Millsap is a way better offensive player than Ibaka, and as today, i don't even think Ibaka is a better defender than him...i mean, Millsap is the best pf in the East, two way player...the only thing which scares me a bit is his age (and btw there's a good chance he's still young than Ibaka), but it's also true that he didn't come in the nba that early, and he didn't play a lot of minutes overall in his career so, i actually think his game should age pretty well.

Deuce likes this.