1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[UNOFFICIAL] The Terms of D-Mo's Offer Sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 3, 2016.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Even if D-Mo's cap hit is the lowest possible under the offer sheet and if the Rockets waive Wiltjer and decline KJ's team option, the most cap room they'd be able to create without trades or stretching salary is about $7 million or so. Meanwhile, the projected max starting salaries for next summer are expected to be about $24 million (for 0-6 year vets), $28.8 million (for 7-9 year vets) or $33.5 million (for 10+ year vets). That's a LOT of salary they'd have to trade out or stretch. Even if they move Ariza AND Brewer, they'd still be shy of having max room. They'd basically need to trade Ryan Anderson into another team's cap room for little or no salary in return. That, or moving Gordon and Brewer. Something major like that. Unlikely they'd be able to pull something like that off.

JuanValdez and glenadyll like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I read it on one of the many "Should the Rockets match" articles around the web, I think maybe CBS sports, or some such, found it here on CFans if you want to dig some.

Oooh, great question, does this actually count as a 2 year guarantee, could the league reject the offer sheet, or do they have to go through the league office before someone signs?

DD

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

If the Rockets decide not to match in order to save cap space for next season, they might as well just put out a press release saying they are not trying to win this year, wait until next.

Cap space has never scored a point or grabbed a rebound. At some point you have to try to win NOW.

heypartner likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is no different that any NBA contract for any player. If you are waived, and clear waivers, you become a UFA, and your contract is terminated.

Any salary not guaranteed at time of waiving comes off the books.

This was all part of Morey's original offer with a 2nd year non-guaranteed. Stop complicating it. The only difference is the waive deadline.

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No, I do not believe the two-year minimum offer sheet length requires guaranteed years. Just that it neither the first nor the second year can be an OPTION year. (DD, this offer sheet shouldn't get rejected by the league office.)

craguin and Jayzers_100 like this.
  6. heypartner

DMo can't be traded this season, because the Nov 24th deadline past for trading signed free agents, not because of the Offer Sheet. So, the "Tricky Devil" part for this year is holding out until after Nov 24th.

Matching doesn't mean he can't be traded for a year. Just means he has veto power, and cannot be traded to the Nets for any reason. That's all standard rules of Matching, not "Tricky Devil" negotiating.

As for cap space, we can also clear cap space by waiving DMo March 1st if he busts. That's 3 months of time to determine. If he does well and we keep him, *and* a Star free agent agrees to sign this Summer, we can still clear cap space by trading him to a team he accepts, and Morey will have a lot of interest from other teams if DMo returns to 2015 levels and does well in the playoffs. As BimaThug said, that is a value-contract if DMo succeeds, which many teams will want.

Matching doesn't necessarily mean DMo will veto all trades.

Of course, if someone like Blake Griffin wants to come to the Rockets, teams might be able to "block" us by not trading with us. But GSW had no problems clearing Bogut off the books to accommodate Durant. So, moving a value-contract for a young DMo playing a 2015 levels should be achievable.

Also, very interesting about Waiving after March 1st and stretching the cap hit across three years. That seems to clear a lot, too.

7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Gotta agree with DD on this one, heyp. Having to waive someone in the middle of the regular season as opposed to after the end of the entire NBA season is a big difference.

mikol13 and craguin like this.
  8. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

This is a good post. Basically if tge Rockets match DMo and he becomes part of the rotation, then if they were to want flexibility going into yhe offseason they would have to renounce DMo by March 1 ahead of the playoff run, which makes no sense for matching if they did not want DMo guaranteed for next year (which is their original contract), and you probably don't want to work someone into the rotation only to dismiss him before the playoff run, for $5m and also at the expense of developing Harrell/Dekker with minutes.

A very clever deal by Sean Marks. Morey has met his match.

I feel Morey may not match. DMo is a great asset to have, but he is not the difference between 1st/2nd round and championships. We probably still need a two-way star and we already have two injury-prong high-priced players under contract.

butterball likes this.
  9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Man, I need to use full stops and sentence structures.

10. craguin

craguin Member

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Absolutely. That point isn't this year.

The idea that DMo takes this team over the top is laughable.

I understand the $ amount and non guarantees are making people say match, match!

But it's the nontrade ability this year and this summers cap hit that make me say no.

As Bima mentioned above, it really screws your cap so your forced to move something like Ariza for space. Which is the last thing you want to do with ariza. You either keep him as super role player or move him for assets not space.

I know a Gordon Hayward is unlikely but I'd much rather be able to back up a truck load of cash at his doorstep with fingers crossed than take a flier on DMo.

As for taking a flier to "see" ... well it's hard to imagine he'll integrate immediately and hard to imagine we'll have a super clear view March 1st and which team and coach in their right mind wants to add a player in December, try and integrate them in, then drop them months later?

I'm cool if DM matches because I know he'd only be doing so 99% knowing he'd be able to make max room somehow this summer. Is that realistic though? Probably not...

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, and they also had a deal on the table with Utah including Bogut three years ago when they tried to sign Dwight with Iguodala.

13. heypartner

I agree. That was my last sentence. I was talking technicalities of waiving. He seems confused on that in that paragraph.

Yes June 30th is better than March 1st, because you might get a better feel for free agent movements post playoffs, pre moratorium, and he might get injured. But you still can't have FA commitments in your pocket, like July 7th for Year 3 and 4, which are vastly superior.

Do you think Morey had a chance of getting better than June 30th for Year 2?

To me, for bust protection, March 1st is plenty of time. I see marginal value in June 30th over March 1st, regarding bust protection.

Very interested in your take on other the increased value of June 30th, especially examples.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think this will end up being the reason Morey does not match. This actually makes it a lot worse from a flexibility standpoint.

We shall see though, I guess.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, no, my point was that you totally lose him as a tradeable asset something that Morey loves, and usually needs to help match contracts.

This is a big deal - DMo has managed to negotiate some measure of control at least for a year -ish.

And if he is contributing you don't want to waive him, thus guaranteeing next year's money - very tricky.

The thing is that DMo is a two way player - something that we do not have much of, and particulalry as a big on D, he would instantly be one of the best defensive bigs.

DD

butterball likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see how that's a valid reason. Sure it's somewhere between difficult and impossible to clear cap space for a max guy....but if you really wanted that, why throw 33 million a year at Gordon and Anderson while still having another 15 million wrapped up in Brewer and Ariza?

Once the Rockets threw around money giving Harden a raise along with Gordon and Anderson big contracts, the idea of an additional max contract were pretty much over. On top of that, it's just this year and one more before a big bag of cash is going to have to be thrown at Capela, how far into the luxury is the team planning on going?

Realistically the team is pretty close to what it's going to be.

17. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

For someone so unwilling to play for the Rockets he sure does not want to be traded by them. The numbers while in D-Mos favor slightly, he seems really concerned about staying on the team he signs with. IMO he may have been the main trade bait to Sacramento, knew it and he did not want to go there. If you traded him and Brewer to Sacramento for Rudy Gay I honestly think both teams say yes and that's a net win for the Rockets.

butterball and basketballholic like this.
  18. heypartner

Could you slow down a second. (Yes, your OP numbers are complicated. :) )

When you say "DMo's cap hit at the lowest possible", do you mean this number in the OP

So by waiving DMo at March 1st, what does your $7m in quote above become -- $15m, right?

What I'm trying to do is get your salary cap projection numbers for the scenario of Not-Matching and/or Waiving by March 1st.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Man why the **** are you people still talking about Rudy Gay?

Lmao. Please stop it.

Rudy Gay will never ever be a Rocket. We dodged a bullet 10 years ago. It's not happening.

butterball and heypartner like this.
  20. txn

txn Member

Even you add a player like D-Mo, you still not gonna win it all NOW, but you hurt your chance to improve later at the other hand. Rockets is not just a D-Mo short to win the champion.