1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Make it worse because you aren't contending next year and he won't be here the year after.

1234567 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty hard sell given that the team has a fairly high ceiling if players come back from injury. You'd be punting at least a few seasons in order to tear things down for the sake of tearing things down. You'd basically be setting up the Texans to break the record for most points given up that they set this season.

Their goal will be to win as many games as possible because they'll want to keep their jobs, you can't do that by giving up before the off-season even fully begins.

raining threes likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Holding onto a mediocre veteran at $7 million who is part of a bad position group is just pointless to me. You can sign some mediocre veterans for less and hope one of them has a bounce back year that you can capitalize on.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's the best you have and considerably better than you could get for that kind of money. if you start out of "mediocre" and add some good to it, you get better than mediocre, if you start with absolutely nothing.....well you end up with mediocre if you are lucky. You can do a LOT worse than having Kjax as your #2 CB and if you can manage to make him your #3 CB then you are doing damn well.

Dump KJax and you'll need at least 3 CB's, keep him and you only need 2 assuming Kevin Johnson is a complete bust....which could very well be the case.

Honestly best case scenario has JJO signing to stay on the cheap (though it would need to be fairly cheap to make it worth it), Kjax playing out his deal and potentially moving to safety after picking up a few CB's. That's the best way to field a secondary that would do a better job next season.

I'd like to see the Texans make a run at DJ Hayden and/or Prince Amukamara. Hayden might want to come home, and might do so for a decent price, Amukamara would be expensive, but if you can make the secondary no longer a total weakness, the defense completely changes. IMO fixing the secondary is even more important than fixing the O line. We've seen Watson be able to operate behind the worst O line in the NFL and he did alright.

5. showa13

showa13 Member

Having a pass rush will help the secondary get better as they don’t have to cover for as long. I think with health in the front they get better, but I absolutely agree that the secondary is more important to fix than the OLine. They were putrid last year, as long as it’s kind of average Deshaun’s feet can keep him safe. I’d invest the draft on the OLine.

No Worries likes this.
  6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

In only 7 games in DW4 rookie season he threw 19 TD’s and was the sure fire rookie of the year.

He went into Seattle and New England unafraid and had them by their throats. With any kind of disciplined defense, we win those games.

I know it’s a small sample size, but DW4 looks like the real deal. He alone will cover up many of the holes addressed.

I don’t think this team is as far away with Watson at QB. Sure up the O line and do anything you can to improve the secondary, and honestly I think we’re really close.

MadMax and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Mercilus should rebound well from his pec injury. No way Mercilus isn’t here next season

craigharmann likes this.
  8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

After the Seattle game, I felt the texans were closer to a super bowl than they had ever been in their franchise history.
    They aren't far off with a healthy Watson, watt and mercilus. Shore up the line and secondary and you have a shot.

htownrox1 likes this.
  9. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You certainly need an o-line upgrade, but I'd prefer to shore up the secondary this year. With Watson, the o-line can be a little worse with his ability to move out of the pocket. We should be able to free a good chunk of cap space, so hope the Rick replacement is competent.

10. Texanstradamus

Cutting mercilus !? Are u crazy lol clowney and mercilus would be the 1 2 punch if watt gets hurt again you guys just want to cut everyone lol

red5rocket likes this.
  11. Texanstradamus

2nd best player on defense he will be back dude just had 12 sacks 2 seasons ago

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

After 17 years, we have our franchise quarterback. I don't feel comfortable depending on his feet and 3rd round picks to keep him safe. The line should be priority #1 and then priority #2 in FA. Based on what we know, if both Mancz and Davenport are starting next season then our off-season will have been a partial failure.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

You are probably right. Well probably have enough cap room that he wouldn't matter. But if his $5mil helps sign a franchise OL or DB.............

14. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we want Watson running much after two acl tears.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I would look to poach someone from the Green Bay front office now that they are reassigning their GM

But I would give them ultimate authority over the roster and coaching staff

16. raining threes

Agreed,

I would move KJax to S and draft a CB in the 3rd, plus add a vet in FA.

Gotta fix the secondary.

If the new GM can find an above avg OT in FA and Davenport can play an avg LT, then adding a couple of rookie OG's that preferably can develop into OT's in the future then maybe the future wont be as bleak as it appears at first glance.

17. raining threes

So you dont want a GM who has experience working in a successful system and has history with the HC?

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

We need a coaching staff that will turn those good games vs NE and Seattle into wins.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I want no one that has a history with the HC because I want a GM that will fire his ass if eh remains part of the problem as he's been the past 4 years.

My criteria would be someone that will do at least as good of a job as Rick Smith did (it absolutely can get a lot worse) and someone willing to fire BOB if he remains worthless. If we can get both of those things out of the new GM, then I'll consider it a win.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I would say Green Bay has had some success.

If you're limiting to history with HC, then you are limiting this to Gaine who was here when we made terrible moves or Caserio who is unlikely to be available.