1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Remember that time when we traded a 6th round pick to Denver for a backup guy named Chris Myers to be our starting center? Pepperidge farm remembers.

Fullcourt and houstonstime like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He couldn't have been any good since he was a backup.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Funny, I was just telling my oldest son about the good ol' days of the Houston Gamblers, Kelly, Mouse Davis, etc. Went on eBay and bought a Gamblers replica helmet for nostalgia. The USFL screwed itself when they tried to compete as a fall league, shouldn't stayed spring.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  4. raining threes

You guys are great at finding outliers.

Let me raise you Chris Clark.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Chris Clark was scrap heap......took a flier. No one expected much.

6. donkeypunch

Sir, there is a $2 dollar raising minimum at this table. You need to up the amount.

houstonstime and red5rocket like this.
  7. raining threes

Same with Myers.

Traded a 7th for Clark

Traded a 6th for Myers

8. donkeypunch

Lol. Somebody name all those GMs out there in the NFL that have hit on every single draft pick and every single free agent they signed. There are so many out there. They just slip me at the moment.

houstonstime likes this.
  9. raining threes

We are off topic

Lets move on

Hopefully these guys are avg and Davenport can hold down the LT position and this is a moot point.

10. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

11. conquistador#11

all right compadres, i'm ready for training camp. .

mikol13 and panamamyers like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Fullcourt likes this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

No mention of how the offensive line looks. That's not good.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I will start by saying I am a homer. I prefer to see it as educated optimism as I do follow the team and league pretty closely. I think it was someone on the radio that said (and I agree with) that when acquiring a player, look at the players former fans. For instance, if Jags fans had come to this forum after taking Bouye who simply was an injury fill in for Kevin Johnson on the outside, they would have seen we were upset we didnt keep him. Likewise, looking at the Saints fans and analysts, they were all VERY disappointed he was gone.

In the end, if you told me we could have a better Oline than last year, not a good one even, but better, as well as all our injured starters (there were 4-5 big ones on defense and 3-4 on offense) were coming back. With what we were doing during that stretch of 6-7 games. Then yes I am pretty optimistic about this season. Homer or not, even the analysts can't wait to see what this team can do. And until the season even starts, what is the point in complaining other than to complain and be negative?

Last offseason, Bobby was pretty firm that Watson was not ready, while it was a bit negative, Watson ended up surprising him. It's offseason, why waste time being negative? Just come in week 4 and say I told you so.

raining threes likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

His first one did; I posted it yesterday I think

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Yep, I saw that.....not enough info on how their pass blocking, run blocking, etc. was.

There should be one every time he goes out there of how they are. I want to know if they are doing great, good, decent, shitty, whatever....

They are critical to our offense no matter how dynamic Deshaun and Hopkins are.

17. raining threes

Fair enough

I dont look at things this way. I look at what they didn't do to put the best team possible together this offseason.

I actually admire the way you look things.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

are they even in pads yet? too early to tell

red5rocket and Bobbythegreat like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's a good point. Watson looked pretty awful in preseason only to look like an almost completely different player after just a few starts a month or so later. Now that's certainly not the norm, but amazing progress can certainly happen in just a short period of time. That's why all of the talk is just BS till we start actually seeing it on the field.

houstonstime likes this.
  20. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I think it would be tough to gage their performance given that they aren’t going live. We are going to have to wait for training camp when they are in full gear to get an idea of how they look.