1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Unofficial) Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

You do that. I'm going to enjoy the ride.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Tonight it was a series of bad breaks....

First batter...fisted a routine pop up into no-man's land
    Second batter - routine DP ball to Bregman that he butchered
    Third batter - routine DP ball towards Altuve that unfortunately hit Devenski.

3. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Guess that's the part you don't factor in when you can't watch the game.

Think it is time for Boston and Cleveland to have a few bad breaks. Those teams are leading charmed lives.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I guess some fans just can't help being miserable and pessimistic about everything. I think i would just stop watching sports if it got to that point for me. I love it, but I'm not a masochist.

But I've been watching for over 20 years and still feel pretty good about things. Sucks for you guys though.

kaleidosky and Hey Now! like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not like Cleveland and Boston have significantly better overall records. Last 10-14 days, teams seem about the same record-wise despite Cleveland's 22 game winning streak coming to an end during that time. Offense is still sputtering along, but still some time for Springer and Correa truly to get going (Springer has just begun hitting ball hard again since DL stint, Correa still looks to be hitting ball weakly since DL).

#345 Joe Joe, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

On a philosophical note, I would say many fall into the trap of idealism and micro analysis. While all the complaining can get tedious, I think much of it stems from a longing desire for things to go right for once.

7. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Clearly I've roiled the holier than thou Houston sports fans. Get over yourselves and stop acting like there is a right way to enjoy sports or root for your team.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Except, he said nothing about being miserable.

Surely anyone who claims pessimism 'loves this season' and 'loves having a chance to win', but it's easy as a longtime HOU fan to not be confident it will happen.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Right? They're now 15-7 in September, a 110-win pace. Their run differential is just +4 - but they have those four UGLY extreme outlier losses to the As. They happened - but take those out, and they're 15-3 with a +30 run differential in their other 18 games.

So.... as long as they don't face Oakland in the postseason, they should be OK.

kaleidosky likes this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And not that it means much, but that same Oakland team has now won 7 straight, and has looked pretty damn good. As we get further away from those losses, I feel much better about the way our team bounced back from that.

Now to glue Martes' ass to the bench......

11. Buck Turgidson

What Oakland losses?

chievous minniefield likes this.
  12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I think he was referring to that 4-game sweep we suffered between 9/8 and 9/11.

13. Buck Turgidson

Huh, don't remember those.

craigharmann and eric.81 like this.
  14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I think we can all agree that getting the #1 seed is very unlikely at this point. Our goal this last week needs to be keeping the #2 seed while remaining healthy.

All you can ask for is to get to the playoffs with a roster capable of winning it all. With the Verlander acquisition, I certainly believe we have one. Let's get to October and see what happens.

kaleidosky, SWTsig, Houstunna and 2 others like this.
  15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

THIS.

craigharmann likes this.
  16. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I has a similar thought.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i made peace with this philosophy a few games ago. as much as i'd love to claim the best record in the AL the indians clearly have no intent to relinquish it. so at this point i think it's significantly more important to figure out as much as we can concerning our rotation, bullpen and lineup then it is focusing on overthrowing the tribe. granted it's a fine line becasue we sure as hell don't want to give up the 2 seed but i'm simply not concerned with playing to take the 1.

i just want to know that the team we field in the first round is the best possible team we can put together.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I like your post and the others similar to it, but I have to confess one other goal..

#BTSOOTR

chievous minniefield likes this.