1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Unofficial 2017 ALCS] New York Yankees vs. Houston Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by swyyyguy, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Think you need someone more composed. Fine with Morton or McHugh over McCullers in a GM7.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's the problem with the Astros bullpen. It is a crazy ride no matter who comes in from the pen. We just have to hope that whoever it is has the right stuff tomorrow.

kaleidosky likes this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Better than the Jlin and Chandler Portions bromance

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

1 more game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Let's do this!!! The city of houston deserves this after everything we have been through this year.

everyday eddie and DudeWah like this.
  5. theh

theh Member

Will JV return next year?

6. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

He has no choice.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

When I consider everything, I really should be rooting for the Yankees.

I was born in Brooklyn, New York. I lived in the greater NYC area until I was 15. I rooted for the Yankees growing up because I was told that's who I should root for. So, I rooted for Chris Chambliss, and Craig Nettles, and Ron Guidry, and Thurman Munson, and Bobby Mercer, and especially Reggie Jackson. I watched uncles of mine in Queens jump up and down like little boys when Jackson hit 1, 2, and then 3 home runs in a World Series game. I was told over and over again of the greatness of Ruth, and Gehrig, and Mantle, and DiMaggio, and Berra, and... well, you know the names. The Yankees were the crown princes, the kings, the ultimate champions of baseball. You could wear a Yankees uniform and bask in the glow of 20+ championships, the most hallowed players, and the greatest franchise in the history of American professional sports.

That was my upbringing. Yankees. There was no reason to choose any other team to pledge my loyalty, dollars, and fandom.

But I chose the Houston Astros.

Becoming a lifelong fan of the Astros made no sense to the relatives in NYC, as well as all the friends and acquaintances who called places other than Houston home. The Astros? The team with the goofy uniforms? The team that plays indoors in a domed stadium? The team whose best player was... well, most people would have no idea. That quasi-minor league team? Why?

When they asked me, around the mid 1980s when I made that decision, I really didn't have a coherent answer. I suppose what I told them at the time was something like, "Well, I live in Houston now, so I support the teams where I live."

But I think it was more than that.

The first thing I considered was the old cliche of "well, I love those lovable losers... gotta support the home team.... they do have some all-stars..."- whatever. Nah, that wasn't it. If I had to put it in words, I would say it was simply that I felt the Astros were more real. Going to Astros games, and watching how the Astros played, was a reminder of the precision, the joy, the skill, and the passion of baseball.

I enjoyed watching Chris Chambliss. I enjoyed watching Billy Spiers more.

I enjoyed the Yankees pinstripes. I enjoyed the Astros rainbow more.

I enjoyed Yankee Stadium. I enjoyed the Astrodome more.

I enjoyed the Yankees legacy. I enjoyed the Astros history more.

Now, I find myself looking at relatives' Facebook posts about the Yankees, how the Yankees will win Game 7, how the Yankees will continue the championship tradition, how the Yankees are the creme de la creme of the baseball world.

My response to them is this:

When I consider everything, I absolutely should be rooting for the Astros.

Orange is the new black.

#7427 dandorotik, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Man I really loathe the pick of Morton for Game 7. McHugh has much better numbers lifetime and so does McCullers. Castro and Frazier own Morton.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, in these playoffs, yeah. Sucks because he gave up a total of 4 runs in July, August, and September. 1.19 ERA Post All Star Break.

4 runs the last three months of the season then 5 runs in the last two weeks.

10. HTM

HTM Member

Disagree. Game 4 was a big moment too. He rocked it. I thought that performance earned him game 7... especially at home... I think he is the kind of guy to thrive in a do or die situation.

DudeWah likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And none in game 6. :)

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Morton , LMJ and McHugh should all pitch 2-3 innings.

Morton should be pulled at the first sign of issues or after 4. Unless he is wiping people out no way he should see the 5th.

Hopefully the bats blow this one up so the pressure isn't constant.

conquistador#11 and DudeWah like this.
  13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think the starter should be LMJ.

See how he’s doing.

And then every single one of Morton, McHugh, and Peacock see the mound after that.

Probably in that order as well.

But since Morton is starting, he should pitch once through the order and then immediately go to Lance. After that McHugh and then Peacock.

No one other than those guys should see action.

I have zero trust in Devo or Musgrove right now.

I won’t be annoyed if I see Giles in the 9th because he usually gets the win especially if he comes in with a two run lead.

But like others have mentioned, if we’re up in the 9th and Giles isnt out there I won’t necessarily be way too bummed out if we go with the hot hand.

#7433 DudeWah, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Houstunna likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

if it is Morton I would stick with him until he gives up more than 2 runs, but I know that won't happen, so I'm not holding my breadth. I just hate to see a guy pulled who could be on his game for a completely unproven and utterly unreliable bullpen. If he wants to throw Keuchel out there I get that, but are McCullers, McHugh, or Peacock really any more reliable than Morton with men on base and in relief at that point. Not to me. Let the man work through 6 or 7 inning unless it's Keuchel or Giles. One hit is not a rally. Two hits is not a rally. Let Morton do his thing.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hopefully we don't need Peacock. It's like he refuses to have a good playoff appearance.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Tomorrow is gonna be a beautiful night

-Altuve postgame interview

macho GRANDE likes this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Morton always starts to fall apart around the 5th. This isn't just because of the postseason. Even if this were a start in June he should be pulled early. His arm simply doesn't hold up. Take his good early innings and don't play with fire.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Due to time constrictions, we here at ESPN are forwarding game 7 programming to the end. Astros win.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

First you put two miniature men in a blender, ask how they are going to get out, and now you have 9 wins with Verlander, wait, what!?!?!?

Sajan likes this.