1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Understanding the Rockets Dilemma

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Nov 30, 2011.

1. valorita

valorita Member

Many of us have been trying to figure out what the best option for the Rockets is going forward. I don't claim to have the answer. However, I wanted to point out the flaws of the some of these arguments and try to question whether what they propose is really as good as they claim to be.

1) Nene
    Let's say for argument's sake that we do get Nene, and for some un-explainable reason he signs for a very modest contract of 10mil/year.
    What's the plan then?
    Best case scenario it bumps us from a fringe playoff team to a middle of the pack playoff team. The only hope that you would have of improving that roster would be to pray that one of our youngsters suddenly develops in to a star.
    If this is what you want, why not just let the youngsters play and keep the cap space for a worthy candidate next year? You increase the chances of a young-in developing and you preserve salary flexibility.
    Don't get me wrong. I like Nene. If we acquired him we would definitely have to trade Martin for Manu, Verajao for Thabeet, Hill, and a pick, acquire Delfino to complete the South American dream team. :grin:

2) Tanking
    Even the "let's tank" crowd should consider that in order to have a top 3 pick, you have to lose in epic fashion. The 6 worst teams of last year were all sub .300. You could lose Scola, Martin, Hayes and we would probably still be in the 6-10 category in terms of lottery picks. Even in a "loaded" draft such as this years' it would be difficult to guarantee a sure-fire superstar with that kind of pick.
    What then? You think that tanking is the answer and that you can just pick up where you left off after having one bad season. That doesn't happen. If you're going to tank, then you have to be prepared to have 2-3 terrible seasons. In an age where most of us were distraught by losing just a couple months of the season, are you really ready to forego 2-3 years more before you can get a respectable squad again?
    I am not necessarily discounting this as a terrible option. I'm just wanting to point out that those who advocate this path should fully understand what they are asking for and then not whine when they get what they want.

3. Morey witch hunt
    That's the problem I have with all these posters. They don't look 3-4 moves ahead. They want to fire Morey. Why on earth would you let go of the best asset that the Rockets have at the moment? Who would you replace him with that would do a better job?
    You should grade him based on the hand he has been dealt with.
    Morey's strategy as a statistician is that if you have the right game plan and you keep to the task without making irrational decisions, opportunity will come knocking on your door. Unless he makes a dumb mistake or starts wavering from his original plan, I don't see how anyone can justify this nonsensical blame game.

4) Our goal
    Look at the past 30+ years and their championship rosters. To be a legit championship contender in the NBA you need at least one top 10 player overall and a couple other players in the top 10 of their position. And then you have to hope that these key players don't get injured and also surround them with a solid cast of role players.
    I think that the Rockets front office make every decision with this concept in mind. We should, as loyal fans, do the same.

Any other thoughts you guys want to clarify?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't really agree with the idea that "tanking" or what I call young player development has to last more than a season. Yes a young team will struggle more but I would rather struggle with young talent then be mediocre with veteran talent.

It depends on what fans and organizations goals are.

Are we here to cheer on a squad to a playoff birth? Been there done that.

Are we here to cheer on a contender? Hell yes.

What looks like the more likely way to land a franchise player? Trading for one (other teams have better markets and assets) or Drafting one?

The Bulls hung around mediocreville for a while with Gordan, Deng and co but realized that they weren't going anywhere. They didn't even have to be the wort team in the NBA to win the lottery.

I just want the young guys to showcase what they have so we can have a final answer. We know what Martin and Scola are.

3. valorita

valorita Member

That is pretty much the key question. What is the best way for the Rox to get a superstar? (Could someone make this into a poll?)

1) Draft
    2) Trade
    3) Free agency

I think the likelihood depends on the team situation and the general atmosphere of the league.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Oklahoma City has spoiled everyone. They got two incredible gifts in Durant and Westbrook, changed their coach and mentality, and were considered a very solid contender in just 2-3 seasons times.

People quickly forget, though, that Oklahoma City could have very easily been stuck with Greg Oden. He'd still be injured every year, and they'd still be at the bottom of the barrel.

In an ideal world, I would definitely be willing to sit through one bad season so that the Rockets could draft the next major superstar that takes them right up to the top of the conference in one year.

This isn't an ideal world, though.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. I also don't understand the interest in Nene. He's not good enough to be the franchise and at his price it'd be premature to add him as a complement before the franchise.

2. I think being in the top-5 in the draft would be awesome, and top-9 in a strong draft like this pretty hopeful too. And that's just with our own pick. We'd get something back for those vets too. Tanking isn't a failure if you miss the #1. Bad teams stay in the cellar for years; well-run teams can bounce out more quickly. Even so, my favorite seasons since the championship days was watching the young Francis-Mobley teams learning the ropes. I can take a few years as a lotto team if there is a compelling story line in there somewhere and hope for the future.

3. I guess you're talking about me. You exaggerate; I don't want to fire him for another year yet.

4. I agree. It's just that the Rockets' approach is the dumb way.

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I agree with all views. The reason is because they are a direction. I want to go in one direction. Either back or forward. I hope the Rockets choose soon instead of just adding assets to our veterans. all scenarios everyone is saying are right to one degree or another simply because they all have positives and negatives. Rockets need to choose one of them. I am not convinced just signing Nene is one of them. Unless there is some reason/plan why to go along with his signing.