1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Under the radar trade targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, May 14, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tucker and guys not Perez/Martes, yes.
    If they want more, better off trading Tucker for Stroman, and Perez or Martes for a great hitter that can put Beltran/Yuli/Aoki's bat on bench.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He's comfortably a strong #2 starter in the playoffs if not a non-Ace #1.

Joe Joe and RasaqBoi like this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Watson is having a pretty good year don't know what makes you think he's struggling. 1.62 era 13k's to 7bb's in 16+ innings is the ideal situational lefty you want to have available. Luhnow values pitchers with high ground ball rates so I'm sure Watson fits the mold and even if you think less than a walk an inning on average is "too much" he's got a very good chance of quickly erasing it. I'd hate giving up Tucker but getting Cole for the next 3+ years would be sweet. Just keep Whitley and Franklin Perez. Everyone else is on the table.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Could simply be posturing from our side, as more options for us gives us more leverage (theoretically). If the White Sox know that we can either trade for Archer (not likely), but now Cole (a great replacement over Quintana), then they might possibly blink first, and take our offer.

But on it's own merit, adding a talented Cole would be great. And then if you double that up with replacing Sipp with Watson, then I'd be ecstatic. Our rotation would be:

Keuchel
    McCullers
    Cole
    Morton
    McHugh/Musgrove

That, my friends, would be really, really good. That is a talented, in-their-prime, AND cost-controlled starting 5, so not only would we get better immediately, but our future would still be bright as hell.

5. raining threes

Yes

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

• 4.84 FIP / 4.70 xFIP. (His ERA is boosted by a 99.2% left-on-base...that will come way down)
    • HR/FB % was a career high 14.1% last year. It's at 14.3% again this year
    • Velocity is down 1-2 MPH this year
    • Lefties are hitting .364 with a .462 OBP off him this year against 26 batters. Small sample, but not a good start (he did pitch well against lefties last year)
    He's a fine pitcher, but there are guys who are just as good or better against lefties who don't have almost 2 years of up and down pitching in their recent past...who also will come at a lower price on the trade market IMO.

He's neither a high K guy nor a high groundball guy over the course of his career. Just average on both fronts. Which means it's harder to make up for his high walk rate.

eric.81 likes this.
  7. the shark

the shark Member

Thoughts on Danny Duffy (KC)?

Will be 29 in Dec.
    Signed through '21 for roughly 15 mil each yr.

KC may be losing a few of their core guys after this season in FA, and thus the process of rebuilding.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Like Duffy. I'm not too familiar with how KC's front office acts, but assumed they signed him to deal that long so that he would still be there when they are done rebuilding.

kaleidosky likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Updated list of starting pitchers on pace for 2.5+ fWAR who are on teams 5+ games out of the wildcard:

Biagini
    Stroman
    Estrada
    Paxton
    Duffy
    Vargas
    Feldman LOL
    Wheeler
    DeGrom
    Synergaard
    Kuhl
    Cole
    Nova
    Cueto
    Bumgarner
    Samardzija
    Straily LOL
    Nola
    Eickhoff
    Perdomo
    Richard
    Cahill

We can also safely assume that the White Sox (Quintana, Holland) will be deadline sellers.

From all those names, many will be unavailable since they are young and controllable and/or on teams that expect to contend next year. Many are in the midst of breakout seasons and probably wouldn't interest Houston. From what's left, Quintana, Stroman, Cole, and Cueto are the four guys I would expect Houston to be involved with.

It would be very good for Houston if several other teams currently contending fell out of the race to make them deadline sellers. Oakland (Gray), Detroit (Verlander), Arlington (Darvish), Tampa (Archer, Cobb, Odorizzi), and Milwaukee (Garza, Anderson, Nelson) could all fall behind and have good SP to add to the market. But for now I would expect Houston to trade for one of the 4 guys listed above. Here is what I think each of those guys should cost:

Stroman/Cole: Tucker plus any 2 other prospects.

Quintana: Any 4 prospects not named Tucker.

Cueto: Any 3 prospects not named Tucker or Martes.

#89 Snake Diggit, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

No way in hell Arlington trade's us Darvish. I would rather just pick him up in free agency. They will be asking way too much just to eff us over.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Justin Wilson has one arb year left, 29 year old lefty having a great year. I bet Tigers would entertain moving him as they fall out of the race.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree they wouldn't trade Darvish to Houston, but if they fall out of it they would probably trade him elsewhere, which would be good for the Astros since it would eliminate a potential buyer for Quintana/etc.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Astros did inquire about him in the offseason, so it probably wouldn't shock me either it they think about rekindling those discussions if that scenario were to play out.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good list.

15. the shark

the shark Member

Cueto is attractive however he can opt out after this yr.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Cueto is hard to value, since the contract pretty much only has downside; he will opt out if he has a good season. I think he has to be valued as a rental. In fact, I think Cueto might be open to renegotiate to add more salary on to this year while voiding the remaining years (essentially guaranteeing he opts out) to facilitate a trade and make things more straightforward.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Poor Feldman. He was the epitome of a solid pitcher while with the Astros and would immediately be the 3rd best starter on this team.

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

For me, Marcus Stroman is the guy. Gutsy pitcher, young and cost-controlled. I kind of love that he's 5'8". And why has nobody mentioned that his name is Stroman? Think about it...

'Stro-Man!

That would be like the perfect stretch-4 coming available via trade for our basketball team and he just happened to be named Rocketman. This was meant to be!!

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Love Stroman. If he were available, I hope we'd be in the mix. "Cost-controlled" is always an interesting word to throw around. While I agree that he's not going to be a FA, let's be real in that he's going to cost 7M+ next year (rough guess) and get a long-term deal after 2018 if we want to keep him. He's under team control, but he's not cost-controlled like Giles was, or even Sale given his signed contract under market value.

eric.81 likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He still has three arbitration years so he won't hit free agency until 2021. So while he isn't as cheap minimum guys, he will cost significantly less than he would on free agency.