1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unarmed black man killed by police officer after car crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FishBulb913, Sep 16, 2013.

1. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I don't follow... I haven't seen much support for the cop that was charged.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not sure how much time you spend in the DD but I would suggest ignoring posts that just don't make any sense. I really wish I followed that advice.

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Why do incompetent people have access to the internet? That's the question you should be asking yourself.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those are robberies, not breaking and entering.

Here's what I found.

That one just deals with violence so here is one that talks about about how even with the violent occasions how many of the people doing the burglaries were unarmed. It's from the same source.
    So even when there is violence in home burglaries most of the time the people who commit the violence are unarmed.

#44 FranchiseBlade, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The story I quoted in another thread said the officer missed.

6. Bandwagoner

The lady was home so it would have been a robbery, home invasion etc. Not that it matters considering his intent was to get help.
    That pdf is weird. It is counting armed as anything including knives so you should say firearm, not unarmed. I read through it and a few other tidbits caught my eye

Lady had a reason to call the cops.
    Lady had a reason to not open the door

Probably all off topic.

7. Bandwagoner

My takeaway from this is the guy freaked the hell out. Why keep beating on the same door for a prolonged period of time? Move to the next door or walk to a gas station. If he could run he wasn't injured. There was no reason to run towards the police, no one was in his car, all he needed was a ride home and to fill out a police report.

The fact is, some cops are racist, incompetent, and lack proper training, don't give them a reason to shoot you.

Yes the cop was wrong and Jonathan Ferrell didn't do anything illegal or with ill intent. But I can't see this as an example that knocking on someones door is a bad idea.

8. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Oh, how the world's changed. When I was a teen, before cellphones became popular, we use to get people knocking on our door all the time to use the phone. It was never an issue back then.

9. Bandwagoner

Good point, this almost never happens these days. We are becoming shut ins.

10. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

If it were a white guy, no news. But since he's black, it has to be race related.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It's probably all a off topic. I'm not blaming the lady for calling the cops, but I am placing some blame on her for saying it was a breaking and entering.

Also even the occurrences you mentioned are not something that happened often, but a minority of the time.

I didn't have an issue with the woman for calling the police, or deny that sometimes burglars are armed. The issue I took was that someone claimed that they are often armed.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

No doubt that is what news execs see in it, but it should be news worthy just on the police brutality and overreaction aspect.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Actually, according to this article, all the caller did was report that a man has been knocking on the door repeatedly. Then the officers responded to what they thought was a "breaking and entering" call. Sounds like they made that assessment.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If he was white they probably wouldn't have shot him 10 times.

15. bucket

bucket Member

It would still have been news. It also would have been more surprising.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This is before home invasions became an issue.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'd like to extend my prayers for the friends and family of the deceased.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's hard for it to be race related when a white guy guns down a white guy.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My personal experience is that police rely way too much on what the 911 caller says. It frames their entire mindset when they get a call. I had a cop draw a gun on me and threaten to shoot me while I was working.

He didn't stop pointing his gun at me until his supervisor basically showed up and basically told him he was being an idiot. It should have been obvious to anybody with half a brain that I was doing my job, but the guy came rolling in thinking it was a felony, and he wasn't going to let go of that until he had to.

If someone called the cops and told them it was a home invasion, I can see them getting so focused in that they ignore facts that contradict that.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking. When was the last time you saw cops hugely overreact to a white guy and shot him dead unarmed?