1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unarmed black man killed by police officer after car crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FishBulb913, Sep 16, 2013.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The caller reported a breaking and entering, which often implies a person with potentially violent intent. In reality it was just a suspicious character knocking on the door. If the man had called that in the cops would have come in with a different mindset.

The cops are at fault, but the homeowner also shares in the blame.

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If I was the homeowner, and someone threatening was banging on my door at 2 am, I'm calling the cops as well. But I certainly don't expect them to shoot the guy 10 times!

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

link?

I'm curious what you mean by often.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I meant above something like 60-70%.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't agree. Do you know how home invasions work? Someone knocks on the door, and as soon as the door is cracked, a bunch of people charge in. Someone banging on your door while you are asleep is not normal. The cops should not pull a gun as a first response to someone running to them.

6. Bandwagoner

Cool. Link?

1 person likes this.
  7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

People won't admit it, but it's another case of misperception and stereotypes associated with African Americans. It's so disgusting that certain people believe that black people are "thugs" just because of their skin color.

I'm sure the three stooges on this board will find a way to defend the cop and then cite MLK in their response. Scum.

8. lpbman

lpbman Member

Without video or further details, I assume this is covered by Gladwell's "thin slicing".

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Disgusting. Police power is one of the most worrying issues we face today, in my opinion. This is just another example. Why should we want more police on the streets when things like this are seemingly common-place, while real crime goes unabated? Seems to me that county and state level government are more concerned about keeping revenues pooring in with tickets and non-violent crimes (e.g. the entire ridiculous War on Drugs), than they are about halting real crimes like human trafficking, child prostitution, and slave labor (all of which are bigger issues than the media lets on). This is bull****.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Quick, get this man some police obituaries and a time machine!

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

According to the FBI, in 2010 a firearm was used in 41.4 percent of robberies, knives were used in 7.9 percent, and other "dangerous weapons" were used in about 8.8 percent.

12. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Some of you are so quick to place blame without all the facts . First I'd like to see what's in the toxicology report and where he was coming from after 2am ? He seemed to be acting very irrational by running at cop's , that's like suicide . He may have never even tried conveying to this woman that he'd been involved in a wreck . Maybe head injuries had caused the strange behavior ? but certainly the homeowner shouldn't share in any blame .

13. treeman

treeman Member

Racist.

14. treeman

treeman Member

I'm calling the cops too, and then I'm shooting the guy 1 or 5 or 10 times myself until he stops moving. The cops can clean it up when they get there.

You shoot until the threat is ended. Not trying to justify what the cops did in this case, but the number of times a person is shot is not necessarily relevant.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

WWJD, christian?

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

So, if the toxicology report came back and said he'd been drinking, or was on drugs, would the police have been justified in shooting him in your point of view?

17. Bandwagoner

Did those cops have guns? So the guns didn't help them right? Let me get you dozens of news articles, from this year, about how many cops murdered people. Either from racism, incompetence or accidentally. All police should not just automatically get a gun. EMT and firemen show up to households and traffic accidents all the time, they rarely are shot. Why should a traffic cop have a gun to write a police report over an accident.

18. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Possibly .. I'd have to have more details . I try not to jump to conclusions and much of this story is yet to be explained . I'd like to know what they meant by ...

What does this mean " unsuccessful " ? Did the guy just keep charging after being tazed ? or did the officer miss ? Could be a major difference in my opinion .

19. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Why do liberals support criminals so much?

20. amaru

amaru Member

Sad situation.....I would have handled it differently in the same position, but that young man didn't deserve what happened to him.