1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(un)Graceful Exits: Roll Call on 1-Team Star Endings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 13, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK...it is done. We went the whole Summer without a Star vs Team basharama in public. But Fran Blinebury had to get it out of Hakeem.

So, let's not talk about Hakeem here, but I want to know all the superstars who left in the end of their career with(out) a bash session with the franchise.

I'll start with the notables, and you correct me. What we are looking for is stars or organizations who claimed the other lied or was disloyal and otherwise did not negotiate in good faith. This is not about the star wanting to stay but settling for leaving, rather, this is about how graceful you did it....did the owner/player have to childishly get their jabs in afterwards.

Remember, this is a business. Not everyone feels like it is necessary to bash on handling of a 1-team star's retirement yrs.

Try to stick to one-franchise players who were considered on the very twilight of their careers...not Pippen in Chicago or Drexler or Oscar Robertson who left to win a title with Jabbar, rather players who left for one last hurray or who got pushed.

Joe Montana (don't think there was bashing)
    Ewing (there was bashing, right?)
    Phil Neikro (left 20 yrs of Braves to chase 300 wins)
    Hank Aaron??
    Willie Mays
    Wayne Gretzky
    George Gervin (12 yrs Spurs, 1 yr Bulls, never wanted to quit and retired in the CBA 2yrs later)
    Can anyone say how 1-team Soccer Stars handled it

there's got to be many more.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Jerry Rice
    Warren Moon?
    Bruce Smith
    Thurmon Thomas

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

Here's an example that seems to mirror Olajuwon's in many ways:

Joe Willie Namath

That *legend* was waived after a trade couldn't be worked out.

4. AJ22

AJ22 Member

Sorry Manny, but what about the other Rocket? I'm talking about former Red Sox Roger Clemens. Talk about an animosity between an organization & player. So Crispee, is this what your looking for?

5. heypartner

AJ,

Clemens? not really. He played many years after with more rings and a Cy Young. That isn't twilight. The ones in my list played for only a few more weak years, maybe Gretzky doesn't belong.

I'm not talking about contract negotiations in your prime.

Anyhow, did Namath have a bash session?

That's what I want to know. Who remembers whether Hank Aaron, Gervin, Phil Neikro and Willie Mays went public with vitriol like Hakeem just did?

Jerry Rice didn't
    Joe Montana didn't

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

7. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Earl Campbell finished with the Saints without bashing Htown, I believe.

8. heypartner

not Barkley. He was not a 1-team player and he left the 76'rs on his first contract.

Who left their ONLY team in the diminishing, final few yrs of their career rather than retiring as a one-team player? And was it a graceful or ungraceful exit.

Montana, Rice, and Gervin all knew they were diminishing, but still wanted to start and have a role. Neikro is a good example, he wasn't ready to retire, and the Braves were changing their rotation.

Aaron probably isn't the best example, because he was just chasing records or extending them, so his team helped him find a better chance. What was Mays thinking, just retire a Giant...sheesh.

9. NJRocket

Ewing left his only team and it could be construed as ungraceful depending on what paper you read

10. NJRocket

my bad...i just noticed that you listed Ewing

11. NJRocket

What about Jose Cruz? Didnt he leave the Astros as his career dwindled or was he traded to the Yankees?

12. NJRocket

Ray Borque falls into this category...i would say it was a graceful exit

13. NJRocket

Tony Dorsett definitely falls into this category as well....maybe someone could comment as to whether it was graceful or ungraceful because i dont recall anything other than he stunk when he went to the Broncos

Andre Reed?
    Bruce Smith?

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Scarface

You are in the Bay area...do you think Rice left (un)gracefully?

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Tony Massenburg

16. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I would say Rice's situation could be compared to the Hakeem situation.

Rice had a big contract and at first refused to re-do it then re-did it after the media made him look like the b**** that he was. Then he felt disrespected by the Niners and wanted out somewhat and at the same time the Niners didn't really want him back.

I think the Rice situation is VERY similar to the Dream-Rockets situation.

Believe me if Rice didn't sign with the Raiders and moved to say Cleveland?! He would have b****ed like there is no tomarrow.

The Niners are a cut throat organization and don't give a DAMN what you have done for them in the past.

17. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

I got one....what the hell does this have to do with the Rockets....no offense :D

18. NJRocket

It has a lot to do with the Rockets given the fact that Hakeem was the poster boy for this thread

19. Live

Live Member

Bruce Matthews :D

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

John Randle