1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

um. . . a trade? yikes.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chievous minniefield, Apr 15, 2003.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

okay, try not to crucify me. it's been a long day, and I can't claim to be thinking entirely clearly.

is the following trade a preposterous scenario? am I blinded by Rockets homerism?

help me help you.

- Cuttino Mobley and Eddie Griffin,

to the Los Angeles Clippers for,

- Elton Brand and Andre Miller.

there. I said it. it's out there.

could the beginnings of any realistic trade be in the above proposal? am I high on crack?

getting Miller and Brand would seem to be such a great way to address two of our biggest problems. and everyone knows the Clippers don't care if they get ass-pounded in a trade. they don't want to win, anyways.

could it really be that simple? no?

could we tweak the deal slightly [ie. give them more] but still lose Mobley and Griffin and end up with Brand and Miller?

could Brand's impending contract situation lube up the Clip for a trade like this?

give me all you got!!
    [to be read in the voice of Al Pacino from "Heat"]

2. HakeemdaDream

HakeemdaDream Member

I would think LA would want more than that.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How about Brand and Piatkowski?

DD

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

They might want Cato since as Olowokandi has already started on his way out of town. They wouldn't want to pay for Cato, of course, whether they need a big man or not.

Its the best scenario/possibility out there for us, imo, but personally, I don't think they'd go for it. Granted, we're talking about the Clippers, so who knows what they might do.

5. rocketsmetalspd

That would be good trade. The Rockets should do something this Summer. Adding these two players would be great, if the Rockets needed to add to it they should. The only players that the Rockets shouldn't trade are: Steve, Yao, and Posey.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I would rather trade Mobley and Griffin for Garnett.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I like the trade, but I know a lot of people here who would reject it because Miller and Brand have never won anything...:rolleyes:

However, I do think that we would have to offer one more guy to go along with Mobley and Griffin to get Miller and Brand...just don't know who.

8. chievous minniefield

so does that mean you think the two trade proposals are equal in their feasibility/likelihood?

if we needed to throw in Cato, I'd do it. actually, I think I'd trade Mobley, Griffin, and any player on our roster not named Bostjan Nachbar to LA for Brand and Miller.

maybe I'm just desperate after this season.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bibby never won anything until he got to Sacremento...ditto Christie.

Sometimes it is all about right place, right time, right chemistry.

The current team has none of the above.

DD

10. chievous minniefield

okay, in case my meaning was lost. . . Mobley, Griffin, and any player on our roster not named Nachbar, Francis, or Yao.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If he reads this, I suspect HeyP will grit his teeth, shake his head, and throw his arms up in the air - all in one motion.

12. chievous minniefield

oh. are they?

thanks for the clarification.

13. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I would be happy with Eddie and Cat for Brand.

No MILLER!

Francis and Miller hates each other

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think Garnett on this team would be great but i have no idea how we could ever get him.:(

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Me, too. Make it happen.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Boki's your untouchable? Wow. You like Maddox too?

Long as we're dreamcasting, I'd do what we have to do, short of Yao and Steve (and hopefully Mobley and/or Cato), for Brand. If Brand's looking to leave I could see them taking Griffin (they love rookie contracts) plus a nice contract like Mobley for Brand plus a contract they're looking to shed. We easily get the better of the deal, but if he's going they may want to get some underpriced value back and ditch an unwanted contract at the same time.

Then, if it looks like Kidd's not staying in NJ, I'd offer Steve for Kidd straight up. Stole that one off someone else on the board, but I won't out him less he says it's okay.

Kidd, Brand, Yao plus whoever to start. Mo, Cato and Rice off the bench (LAC wouldn't want any of those contracts).

17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i don't claim to be an expert on trading and the whole salary issue, but isn't garnett getting 25 mil this year? if so, i don't think the mobley/griffin deal will work. mobley's contract was a bargain and griffin... will have to be involved in some sort of sign and trade.

if anything more players will have to be involved from the rox's side.

how about mobley, griffin, norris and cato (not Mo' T because we'll have no pfs). that'll leave us short a backup center. hmmm... maybe that'll keep collier from whining like the little girl that he is.

also, we'll be short a pg. that's where miller comes in. i'm sure he could forget about going to denver with the potential lineup of...

pg: miller, maddox
    sg: francis, hawkins
    sf: glen rice, nachbar, morris
    pf: garnett, taylor
    c: yao, collier
    (only eleven listed above for those who are counting)

sure, our bench would suck, but all of the starting lineup wouldn't come out of the game at the same time with four potential allstars.

18. pchan

pchan Member

brand.. kidd.. and yao.. that would be awesome.
    That's what I was thinking when I was dreaming up what the rockets should do in the offseason

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

oops... forgot about posey in the previous post.

20. Timing

Timing Member

This possibility has been talked about for months on these boards but still seems like a dream scenario. I doubt the Clips bite on that unless there is some serious behind the scenes action from agents.