1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ultimately, what is Yao's upside?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Aug 8, 2004.

?

what will yao ming be in his prime?

1. the best player in the league (26+ ppg)

133 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. top 5 players in the league

301 vote(s)
    59.8%
  3. where he currently is (10-15)

59 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. foot injuries will hamper his career as they have with all the giants

10 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think this is the question we should be concerning ourselves with and not who our starting point guard will be come opening day.

Yao Ming is currently far and away the most overrated player in the entire league. He's a very, very good player and impacts the game in countless ways, but nowhere near the dominant superstar force the national media makes him out to be. That's ok though, he's only entering his 3rd year and is moving right along a similar growth curve as fellow big men Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett. I think the transition that the two had to make from high school and Europe respectively to playing in the paint in the NBA is similar to the one Yao is facing. Both players averaged roughly 17 ppg in their second years and broke into the 20's by their 3rd years. This was due to their physical development, comfort with the league, and adjusting roles on their teams.

Yao Ming is simply the best center in the West by default. This is not how Hakeem Olajuwon or Shaq were the best center, completely eating teams for lunch. I fully believe that Yao Ming has all of the tools to become the best player in basketball. Stretches during last season served as evidence to this. It's scary to think about this guy's combination of gargantuan size, shooting, passing, and composure. His conditioning and demeanor are the only things holding him back right now. If you look at the new pictures, the guy has practically doubled in size since his rookie season. He has more than adequate mass to battle in the paint. He now has to want to become great. Furthermore, having a 6'9 Tracy McGrady serving as a post entry passer should help him as opposed to the smaller guards of last year.

I think Yao will break 20ppg next season. But what's he going to be like in his prime? Will he ever become the most dominant player in the league?

2. pcheung

pcheung Member

The media makes him out to be a dominant superstar force???

I don't get that at all. If the media ever goes Bill Walton on Yao, it's about his potential.

I've never heard an unqualified, "He's a dominant superstar."

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think if he develops the right attitude/demeanor, then he can become top 5 and potentially the best. He has to want to be the best, and I think its fair to question his desire to acheive that right now.

I think by the end of the season, well know if Yao is on his way to being top 5/the best or just a rich man's Rik Smits.

4. thacabbage

Really? All I ever hear is about "the best big man in the West." While it's true, it's hardly warranted.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I find "most overrated" a little harsh, but I get the point...I think he will be at least 20/10 this year and then we will go from there...

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Tim Duncan is the best player in the league right now. He has never averaged 26 ppg. Yao will be the best player in the league...not in a Shaq kind of way. He will be more of the Bill Walton type. Of course...Bill wasn't 7'6". Because of Yao we will always have a presence in the post who can physically overmatch his man and will need double and tripple teams. We will always have a good defense because of his presence in the post. He wont be top 3 in blocks per game....will probably be the biggest shot changer though.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Depends, if they mean "best big man" as in "best center", I guess you would agree...

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

One thing about the poll questions, they make it sound like 26++ defines the best player in the league, and I am sure we can agree that this is not the case...as lost_elephant said...it's more about the overall impact, which ultimately translates into winning championships...

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Personally I think it breaks down like this:

Top 10 player in the league during the bulk of his career: 90% (He's practically a top 10 player right now)

Top 5 player... : 66% (Gifted big man with skills? In this league you get bonus point for that kind of talent)

Best player... : 35% (With guys like Garnett and Duncan as the standard, Yao being the best player is no guarantee and certainly isn't a 50/50 proposition)

All Time Great: 10-15% (A definite uphill climb for Yao. It takes rings to be an All-Time great. Rings and a determination to be the best. I don't doubt Yao's work ethic or physical abilities, but it takes a little extra something to become a legend)

10. forebay

forebay Member

this is just becoming old.

yao's 'too humble' chinese style belies his very desire to be the best player.

I never doubt he has the heart.
    it's just he does not feel the need to 'showcase' it.

11. carlos

carlos Member

What holds him back is his lack of aggression and conditioning. Until he demands the ball, wills his team to win, and like you say eat another team for lunch he will not enter the top five echelon. Finally, there is no way he can dominate until he can play an entire game without needing an oxygen tent.

12. rock_zheng

rock_zheng Member

agreed
    PPT is overrated.BB ball means more.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao,in his prime should be able to put up multiple MVP seasons,barring injury.I'm not worried about his size/durablity/drive.Looking at his frame,this guy is going to put on 30 - 40 Lbs, minimum.Power points on the blocks,along with his finesse game.It also translates to a monster on the boards and a real defensive presence.
    Seeing the offense flowing through him and titles piling up is a nice thought.Another thing about Yao,is that he has that background which should help lock down his greatness..similiar/different to DREAM.....Yao,brought up steeped in fundamentals,team oriented in the Chinese program parallels Dream with his soccer/handball background honing his game under Malone,Lewis,and PSJ.My point is so many factors fall into place making the GREATS great.The writing is on the wall.

#13 Plowman, Aug 8, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  14. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I think that the coaches who send 2-3 guys at him at once are saying (by their actions) that Yao is a dominate player. Only Shaq will hold him one-on-one -

does he "impose his will" - sometimes. Does he impact the opponents game plan - ALWAYS

15. thacabbage

Good point on Duncan. I didn't even think of that. Ignore the 26ppg figure.

16. thacabbage

True, but too often he allows the Jerome James' and Eddie Najera's of the world to render him ineffective. The true greats don't allow that to happen.

17. jrun

jrun Member

Do you guys think Yao will never have as many blocks as Big Ben just because people don't want to challange him because of his size, while in Big Ben's case, people still want to take a chance, :confused: :confused:

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

By the way, Garnett has never averaged more than 24.2 points either ;). Even Dirk Nowitzki has never averaged more than 25.1... :)

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

True, but I hope that will change! :)

20. daNasty

daNasty Member

He's doing just fine. I'm expecting him to have a great year this season. First year getting to know. Second year to adjust and third year to combine the two and go from there.