1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UH to hire Tony Levine as head football coach

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by OkayAyeReloaded, Dec 21, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Blah blah blah.

Check the record vs BCS teams the last several years, chumpzilla.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I was just coming in here to congratulate, not troll. But if you honestly think UH is better than Notre Dame, you need your head examined.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well UH finished in the top 20 with a 13-1 record while Notre Dame finished at 8-5. Soft schedule or not, I don't think it's that far fetched.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... UH was a better team than ND this last season... not even really in question...

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Apparently a lot of people need their heads examined.

[​IMG]

6. Nook

Nook Member

I am taking off from the airport so I cannot really debate this... but

13-1 vs. 8-5

Both teams played 2 ranked opponents

UH spanked a top 20 team in their bowl game and ND lost to an unranked team...

Further lost at home to a team under .500%....

Whatever, think what you want, but all the measures show that UH was better than ND in 2011...

What will 2012 bring?

Who knows...

7. LongTimeFan

You guys had a better record than us in 2011. You are not a better football program than us. It's not even close.

But that's cool you learned how to make circles on images to highlight your 57th hardest schedule in football -- be proud!

And Nook, you need to do some fact checking.

Ranked teams UH played (based on final AP rankings):
    #20 Southern Miss

Ranked teams ND played (based on final AP rankings):
    #6 USC
    #7 Stanford
    #11 Michigan State
    #12 Michigan
    #23 Florida State

But by all means, keep going by the final record and ignoring the teams you played. I would do the same thing if my team played teams like North Texas, Louisiana Tech, Georgia State, UTEP, East Carolina, Marshall, etc.

And before someone asks, no, I don't care what they were ranked at the time you played them -- that is irrelevant to me. That's like Oklahoma bragging about beating a "top 5 Florida State team" when we all know they were not even close to that.

#67 LongTimeFan, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Sumlin was 2-2 vs. Rice

oopsie

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Yeah, I didn't know their names. Austin Grammer the qb, I know Kingsbury recruiting him, but I wonder why he didn't commit since Houston is a up and coming team and its not like they have a starting qb lined up.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Of course you "don't care" what they were ranked when you played them because then your argument is complete garbage. You beat one ranked team and lost to 4 of them.. Impressive. UH had 4 less losses and just as many victories against ranked teams.

The rankings speak for themselves.

I am battling major jet lag. Keep the faith though, eventually Notre Dame won't have anymore prestige to tarnish and the Scandals will fade away.

11. LongTimeFan

Last post here.. but my argument is garbage? You've failed to even make a coherent one. Did the University of Houston's academics not teach you about context? I'm sorry you're unable to grasp the simple concept of in-season rankings being meaningless -- specifically, the OU-Florida State example I laid out for you.

The Cougars beat zero ranked teams according to the final AP top 25. You only played one, and you lost 49-28. And guess what? I don't even care about that. UH plays ****ty teams and then likes to thump their chest to other programs as if they've accomplished something. This isn't a ND v. UH argument -- it's a UH v. everyone else argument. A lot of UH students/alums like to complain about being disrespected for not being recognized for beating Rice, SMU, etc.

You had a better record than Texas this year -- but I suppose that means you have a better football program than they do as well. I would suspect a Texas fan would have the same reaction I did to the "UH is better than [your school] right now" talk.

But by all means, keep ignoring context and complain about not being ranked higher for your convincing victories over Louisiana Tech.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The University of Houston would kick Notre Dame's sanctimonious ass in football.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't think you can discount Penn State; because our win against them knocked them out of the rankings.

I don't know anyone that is acting all high and mighty about our success this season. Those that thought we could seriously hang with LSU and Alabama were far and few between and are delusional. But why is it so crazy to believe that maybe were the best team in Texas (better than TCU, maybe maybe not) and one of the better teams in the nation this year? We were ranked 14 and 18 after all. What most people wanted was respect, and I think the University has every right to expect some after the success we've had and are building on these past several seasons.

And I'm really curious...what exactly justifies Notre Dame being a better program now outside of their name recognition and tv contract. I could look at the past six seasons (which is the amount of time UH has really started to rise) and say that the Cougars have a 54-26 record in that span and the Irish have a 42-34. It's easy to say well we play bad teams and ND has more ranked opponents, but you can't say for sure what either team would have done with the same schedule unless they actually play the same schedule. You can only point to the facts.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Am I the only one laughing hysterically at the Notre Dame fan whining about fans of another program for thumping their chests when Notre Dame is the biggest self-chest thumper of all-time?