1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

UEFA Champions League 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ashiin

ashiin Member

That was so much choke I just can't believe it. They let Drogba end everything for christs sake.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wow, I had a ****ty feeling for the whole OT. Screamed in overwhelming joy when Neuer saved it. Couldn't believe it when he made one after that. And then we lose this, wow....what a game. Eight minutes to go and we're up 1:0, then ****** Drogba nets. What a ****ty game, wow...

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Oh well. Congrats to Chelsea on popping their cherry. Sorry Tottenham, you won't be seeing the CL next season.

Great choke job by Bayern... all the chances in the world and they picked a bad night to have stage freight. Ribbery and Robben killed it for them, especially the latter. The only good that comes out of this is Robben not winning it. He doesn't deserve to even sniff that trophy.

4. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

I just hope Munich don't pull a "Vancouver" (Remember the stanley cup riots last year)

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lost everything this year, what a f.cked up season...

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Can't imagine how it feels to be Schweinsteiger now.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Robben played like a douche... Epic choke by Bayern...

8. Zion

Zion Member

CHELSEA!!!!!!!!

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kinda happy to Bayern lose at least to see the utter disappointment in Yung-T and Aroundtheworld's post. :)

J/k. Join the boat of a disappointed soccer fan!

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Amazing game. Amazing player Drogba is.

DESTINY I tell ya, DESTINY was on Chelsea's side.

[​IMG]

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Didier deserved winning it for the epic tournament he has played. And this is coming from a Munich supporter.

12. Zion

Zion Member

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/13730386/bayern-players-refused-penalties-coach/

Bayern players refused to take penalties - coach

Karolos Grohmann, Reuters
    May 20, 2012, 11:09 am
    tweet
    Email
    Print
    MUNICH, May 19 (Reuters) - Some Bayern Munich players including Arjen Robben refused to take penalties in their shoot-out defeat by Chelsea in the Champions League final on Saturday, forcing coach Jupp Heynckes to nominate keeper Manuel Neuer, Heynckes told reporters.

"Some of my players did not feel sure enough or confident enough to take penalties," Heynckes said. "They were tired after 120 minutes of play. You cannot force anyone to take a penalty."

Heynckes said among those was Robben, who takes all of Bayern's penalties but missed one in the first half of extra time.

"He did not feel confident to be nominated," said Heynckes. "So that is why Neuer took a penalty. It is understandable. That is legitimate and I need to know it."

Bayern lost 4-3 on penalties after taking an 83rd-minute lead through Thomas Mueller. Didier Drogba levelled two minutes from time before Robben squandered his spot-kick chance in extra time.

This was Robben's second big penalty miss after squandering his spot kick in a crucial league match against champions Borussia Dortmund in April. (Editing by Ed Osmond)

It's a lot of pressure but come on now. The Goalie has more confidence than strikers.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not surprised by that, I'd rather flat out have a player tell me they can't take the PK than have them take it and miss it because of nerves.

Sometimes, swallowing your pride and saying the moment is too big for you is better for the team.

For example, Schwein was not comfortable taking that penalty, you could see it in the way he was walking up there.

I am surprised at how confident the pens of cole, luiz, and lampard were. Great stuff.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

sounded like a good game. I had to work today, so I caught the first 20 minutes, and snuck back to a tele to catch the the final 10 minutes of ET and left before watching Pks.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm sorry but Robben is making it wayyy too easy to label him as a scapegoat.

Seriously dude? He never looks to pass and takes bad shots from the distance. Then Drogba handed them the potential winner on a silver platter and Robben messed that up to. And for some stupid reason dude CONTINUES to play 1 on 11 and doesn't even look to pass. Continues taking bad shots from the distance.

Then when **** got real, he chickens out like a ****ing school girl and lets his GOAL KEEPER take the shot?

I'm sorry but **** you, you selfish prick! I'm glad you didn't win a trophy. Way to let your team and country down.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D0m-3glcmbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

When Abrahamovich took control of Chelsea, I was vehemently against them achieving anything. He still doesn't deserve it, but those players deserve it for battling on this long - the likes of Essien, Terry, Lampard, Drogba even if some of them missed the final.

The bonus is that Bayern lost everything this season, and I know ATW is a massive Bayern supporter. :D

18. Zion

Zion Member

I am pretty sure every single player has nerves. Even Drogba taking that final PK said he was thinking about his missed penalty in the African Championship.

So if everyone had said they are nervous and can't take a Pk then what would the manager had done?

These guys are some of the best and most highly paid players in the world. You suck up those damn nerves, step up and do your damn job. Somebodies gotta do it and you are not the only one who is nervous.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Exactly. The best players have missed penalties in big games. Ronaldo missed the penalty in the CL final (although ManU won) and again in the semis, Roony's missed a couple, Drogba missed as mentioned above, even Messi missed in the CL knockout stages.

Robben is weak and should be treated accordingly from now on. Having a goal keeper take a penalty for you is pretty damn embarrassing. Hell Schweinsteiger (damn his name is hard to spell) missed and he'll live with it for years like Terry did. But at least he took it.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

My only wish is that this season and last season will result in a 2007-esque reaction from Hoeneß, Nerlinger and Rummenigge (where they realized that their squad wasn't good enough and boughts a ****load of players like Ribery, Toni, Klose, Sosa, Jansen).
    If they still haven't realized that we need two more stars (STARS, not medium azz transfers like Dante, Shaqiri and possibly Giroud) there is no more hope.

And today I read that Neuer had to shoot that penalty because Heynckes couldn't convice more than four players to shoot a penalty. Robben didn't want to, I can understand that. But Kroos, Müller, Tymo, etc. were cowards imo. A guy like Olic who missed nearly the whole season has to shoot a penalty because proven players are too scared? F...in shame. Look at Alaba, 19 years old, 1st real season with the team and took the first penalty in the most crucial games of the season without a blink, ice in his veins.

That's what we need, heart and confidence. You don't win when 2/3 of your team are too scared to shoot a penalty when it matters.

1 person likes this.