1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.N. Unanimously Adopts Iraq Resolution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by treeman, Oct 16, 2003.

1. treeman

treeman Member

U.N. Unanimously Adopts Iraq Resolution
    38 minutes ago

UNITED NATIONS - In a diplomatic victory for the United States, the Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution Thursday aimed at attracting aid to stabilize Iraq (news - web sites) and putting it on the road to independence.

Full Story:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031016/ap_on_re_mi_ea/un_iraq

Dammit, I'm getting tired of this government's "go-it-alone" attitude... This unilateralist approach is going to kill us. We need to work with our allies more closely and take their interests into consideration.

:rolleyes:

2. treeman

treeman Member

Oh, and we need to go to the UN and seek their approval. Oh, wait...

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good for the U.N. The majority didn't believe in this war, but now that the U.S. and others went ahead and started it, they realize that it's in the best interests of everyone to make sure it's finished correctly. Kudos for putting aside the differences.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It must also be pointed out that, although France and Germany approved the resolution, they both have stated that they will not be sending troops.

Just cash

But I agree, it's a good step forward.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

A quote from the article...

"However, the resolution was not expected to translate into immediate funds and troops.

European countries are "very far from being able to commit themselves financially or militarily" to the reconstruction of Iraq, said Catherine Colanna, a spokeswoman for Chirac."

What exactly are you gloating over? That the US agreed to get out of Iraq as soon as there is an internationally recognized functioning government?

6. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Excellent news.

7. treeman

treeman Member

I'm not gloating over anything. Personally, I don't even think much will come of this. At best, it will allow either the Indians or the Paks to send troops, aside from that not too much.

That's the irony of the situation. You "multilateralists" have been harping for months about how we should run to the UN and seek their blessing, "coordinate with allies", b****ing about how the Prez didn't even bother with the UN (a flat out lie), all that garbage. We finally did it. And nothing much will come of it.

Although it doesn't hurt any.

And what does the US vacating when the govt is in place have to do with anything? As if I have been advocating something different than that? Why do you even bring that up?

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Enlighten me a little here. The presence of this thread appears to be a poke at multi-laterialsts by a uni-laterailst (you). Yes or no?

If I read the article correctly, the UN resolution says members will provide economic and/or military/peacekeeping aid. All of which has no defined timeline. In exchange, the US agreed to the

"...new provisions urging the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority "to return governing responsibilities and authorities to the people of Iraq as soon as practicable" and calling on the Iraqi Governing Council to provide the Security Council with a timetable for drafting a new constitution and holding elections by Dec. 15."

I'm still missing the point. There will be how many Russian, German and French troops in Iraq by Dec. 15th? And their three combined financial aid totals will be how mnay billions of $'s ?

Perhaps I am short-sighted, but I just don't see the resolution as much beyond the Russians, Germans and French agreeing to the possibility of aid in exchange for our guarantee of withdrawl and a timeline for an Iraqi generated constitution.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Great achievement for the US here. Big win.

So we're getting help in Iraq and the economy (including the jobs numbers) are coming back strong. Things are looking better!

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would you gloat? Not that anyone should gloat, but it seems to me that the only people here would have cause to gloat are those who said that the U.S. should work through the UN all alone. The administration did not do that, and now they realize the error of their previous examples and have indeed returned for international help like the Multilateralists were calling for all along. If the side of unilateralists gloats when the govt that acted (for the sake of argument) unilaterally, does a 180, then they have a strange sense of accomplishment.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Hey treeman, good to see you. I don't even know where to begin responding to your posts in this thread but if you'll pay us a visit in the Powell one, I'd be happy to try.

12. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Getting better? When were things not looking good?

13. Timing

Timing Member

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

About the economy: The recession inherited from Billy Boi was bad, but Bush has managed to right the ship through his agressive actions.

Oh and by the way, welcome to my ignore list.

15. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

:( :(

If you take your love away from me
    I'll go crazy, I'll go insane
    No, no, no...

You've got your problems, baby, and I've got mine
    Let's just end it all by putting in together, yeah
    When you say you love me it don't mean a thing
    If you cared you'd be there like you used to be, yeah

I'm searchin' for the words to make you realize
    That I really, really want you to stay, oh
    Tears of frustration I hold inside
    But if you walk away you'll make this grown man cry

1-Don't leave, don't leave me girl
    No, no, don't leave
    Please stay with me tonight
    Don't leave me girl
    Please stay with me tonight

Forget my pride, girl, I'm beggin you
    You're my heart, you're my soul
    You've got so much control
    My love runs deeper than the ocean and sea
    But if you sail away you'll take the centerpiece of me
    (repeat 1, 1)

2-If you take your love away from me
    I'll go crazy, crazy, crazy
    So, If you take your love away from me
    I'll go crazy, I'll go insane
    (rpt 2)

Stay, come on and stay (stay)
    Don't leave, (stay), stay right here with me forever
    I love you (stay), yes I do, (stay)
    I need you, don't leave
    Stay right here with me forever
    You know that I love you

:( :( :(

:D

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If thats all it takes to get on his ignore list...:eek:

There must be very few posts that he can see.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just so big_Jorge can read it.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Troy,

Welcome to my special worship list. All posts from those on my worship list appear in large bold-face and have an automatic mo-town soundtrack going. Congratulations.