1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Zeller video scouting report

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we cannot get Dwight in trade, then I'm in for this guy. He's an efficiency machine, has an NBA game to go with an NBA body, great bball iq, good shooter, gets to the FT line a ton, and will run most bigs out of the building on most nights in the NBA.

He's the second best center in the draft (if you consider Davis a center). He will be a great fit in Houston if we get him.

My only real question about Zeller is how he will fit in with McHale's system. Because frankly, I really don't know what McHale's system is at this point. Zeller would be a GREAT FIT for Adelman's system because of his jumper and ability to run the floor in transition. If McHale turns out to be big on having power in the middle, then Zeller might not do as well.

I don't think he has anything close to Scola's post-up games and post moves. He's got the intelligence to develop some of that. Just don't know how much he can develop until you see how he checks out physically with other NBA bigs when he gets floor time.

If his weakness is strength, then that is definitely fixable with diet and workout routine. And he's not exactly skinny at 250 lbs. anyways.

I like this guy a lot. I think he is way more skilled than a guy like Leonard. I think Leonard is another Przybilla and Zeller looks more like Divac to me. And I'd much rather have that kind of guy than just a big banger down low.

Frankly, if this guy is there at #14 and Orlando has to trade Dwight, they could do a lot worse than a package of Zeller, Lowry, #16, Dally, Scola for Dwight and a couple of their bad contracts.

So, in my opinion, if we don't get Dwight, and Zeller is there at #14, we oughta draft him and look for another trade using Scola and Lowry and possibly #16 as bait to get a premier PF or SG.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would be happy with him. I think he has just as much upside as Marc Gasol Although not as strong. I'm not sure how well he would mesh with Motiejunas on the devensive end of the floor though since neither one are perticularly strong or good shot blockers. I do think they might be a lethal pair on the offensive side of the court though.

4. crash5179

Looks like he has better touch from the outside than DMo. I would love to see the Rockets fast break with Dragic flying down the court with DMo and Zeller running with him. They might be the best pair of running 7 footers coming into the NBA this year.

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Love this guy, and if we stayed @ 14 & 16 I would be absolutely thrilled to pick him up. He just doesn't rattle. After essentially losing the 1st Duke-UNC game, he went into Cameron and was absolutely cold-blooded. Incredibly efficient. Would be a bit funny if we somehow ended up w/ both Rivers & Zeller. Not only because of the Duke shot, but also a starting 5 of Dragic/Rivers/Parsons/Motie/Zeller might blind the other team, always giving us the upper hand.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

If this is what we haul in then I'm ok. We can't expect a miracle at the 14/16 spot anyways.

7. cdastros

cdastros Member

I think he turns into a faster Mehmet Okur. In a recent video he said that he is working on shooting the NBA 3. Plus with his speed, him a DMO running the fast break will be deadly.
    On the downside he is not much of a shoot blocker, but with his ability to take charges and get steals he makes up for that weakness.

8. Muaz

Muaz Member

Dang didn't know he took charges and I was already high on him before

9. jopatmc

He's not going to make it to 14. He'll be taken at 11 or 12, possibly even a couple picks earlier depending on trades.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If he falls to us, we should trade him, Lowry, and Bud for Gortat.

11. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Not according to every mock in existence.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would people pursue such unrealistic goals as drafting Zeller when the Rockets should be working on things that can actually happen like trading for Dwight Howard and signing Deron Williams? :p

13. jopatmc

Because that would be perposterous! :)

You, Carl Herrera, told us it IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Zeller can't block shots and lacks the explosiveness to finish strong at the rim. I don't think his post game will translate, he doesn't have great strength or Scola's footwork. He can be Varejao with a better jumper, which would be a tremendous value at either of our picks. He's smart, works hard, and is seven feet tall so he'll have a long career in the NBA.

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Please no, we need true centers who can block and bang inside, finish strong. D-Mo is already our big who can go inside and outside.

16. crash5179

Zeller is not a great shot blocker but he most definitely is a true center.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Looks like Tim Duncan with Trex syndrome. I'd take him at 16.

Zeller isn't an outside/inside center. He's just capable of hitting midrange shots and maybe could extend his range to the three, but it wouldn't be something he'd look to do. DMo already has established 3 pt range.

18. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

I'd rather trade Lowry, Dalembert, 14th pick for Portland's 6th pick and maybe Nolan Smith. Then I would like us to take any of these players left

MKG
    T Rob
    Beal
    Barnes
    Drummond

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I personally would rather try to trade up for Drummond. Leonard would by my second. Zeller third and Melo fourth. I would be just fine with any of them.

I am afraid that we possibly could get out of this draft without any of the four. That world be upsetting.

And anybody seen Plumlee play much? He certainly is a professional at all the drills used in Chicage.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think Zeller is more of a big 4 than a 5, him and Motiejuanas would either be really good or a disaster. I think Zeller's a little soft. I'd rather have Leonard or Drummond, but if they're not there Zeller's fine.

Anyone but Fab Melo.