1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler White Power and Berkman comparison

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Senator

Senator Member

His ability to connect has Berkman written all over him, less natural instinct around the plate (Berkmans hand speed legendary) but more dedicated to fitness to make up for it.

Dominated Yuli and Gattis in every offensive aspect of the game this season, no way he should be dropped in favor of either unless he has a 10 game slump.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

First, I think there are probably a large majority of us (and Astros fans in general) that are uncomfortable with that nickname...and I'd guess Tyler White would be, too. It's not funny. It's not cute. It's not witty.

Second, I had the same thought in regards to the Berkman comparison. I think White has that ability but we'll have to wait and see if he has the ability to do it consistently. Hopefully, he's more committed to fitness than Berkman famously was. I'm not sure he has Berkman's power but that might still develop. He certainly has ability to hit for average and drive in runs. I think he's made the next offseason a little easier. He and Yuli platoon between 1B and DH, letting Gattis walk.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Nevermind.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Isn't his nickname Tyler "great" White?

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a funny nickname in the slightest. Get over yourself thinking your are funny by bringing racist tropes onto a family website.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yeah. This is the same city that cried "RACIST!" when we wanted to name the soccer team "1836."

Uprising likes this.
  7. leroy

Because those are totally the same situations.

By the way, I was on the side of "1836" and actually had conversations with Oliver Luck about it. He wanted to keep the name, too, but politics and the reality of wanting to build a stadium got in the way. I still have an "1836" t-shirt. Got it the moment the name was announced. I remember speaking to many of my soccer-playing Hispanic friends. Even they liked the name and didn't understand the controversy.

This isn't political correctness. This is asking to not give an Astros player a nickname ONLY associated with f***ing Nazis. Why is this something that has to be pointed out to anyone?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He’s closer to Carlos Lee at the moment than Berkman.

The only one coming close to Berkman’s Doubles ability, power to all fields, and superior OBP/Slugging is Bregman... but even he’s lagging behind what Berkman was doing at his age.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Lance Berkman had a tremendous amount of natural talent and power.... not seeing the connection to White. If anything, Berkman was an underachiever that was incredibly lazy. Tyler White is an over achiever that is really driven and busts his butt.

Major likes this.
  10. leroy

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not a bad thing at all... just that Carlos Lee’s best year with the Astros was not necessarily better than Lance Berkman’s worst year with the Astros.

Just basically Lance Berkman was (and is) in an entirely different echelon than anything the Astros have right now short of Altuve (Bregman knocking at door with this year’s career performance).... and comparisons should reflect that.

I know Lance’s work ethic (or lack thereof) gets him some harsh criticism around here... but the guy was an amazingly productive hitter, both regular and post-season.

leroy likes this.
  12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like the only reason we are making this comparison is because they were both fat and white. I don't see any similarities of how the two hitters swing the bat.

ETA: I say "fat" as a relative term in relation to your typical professional athlete.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Tyler White reminds me of Big Al.

[​IMG]

HTM, everyday eddie and King1 like this.
  14. conquistador#11

I love the chubby athlete. I think all former butterball kids like myself have this appreciation.
    I want whitey(heard hinch and Lancemc call him that) to do it for more than a year before being compared to the big puma.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Agreed. Berkman was a HOF-caliber player. If he had been a quality defender or healthier he would be in the HOF. White has lived up to that somewhat this year, but so much of that has to due with ridiculous HR/FB ratio

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Apparently that's another nickname. He had it on the back of his jersey during players weekend.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Because it's stupid.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

OP is trying too hard.

19. leroy

I agree. Using a Nazi/White Supremacist moniker as a nickname of a baseball player is incredibly stupid.

20. Nook

Nook Member

No, he would have been a Hall of Famer if he had anything approaching a work ethic at all. Bagwell had to constantly give him pep talks... he was lazy and entitled.

The Beard likes this.