1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson: "Hell yeah. I wanted to beat [the Rockets] by 20."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Mar 27, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Pacers' Ty Lawson chips in against his former squad

Playing against the Rockets for the first time since he was bought out of his contract, Ty Lawson had probably his best game with the Pacers. Lawson made three of four shots and had five assists without a turnover in his 14 minutes.

Asked if it meant more for him to play against his former team, Lawson said, "Hell yeah.

"I wanted to beat them by 20," Lawson said. "I'm glad we got the win. It does feel good to beat them."

Lawson said he appreciated the Rockets allowing him to move on, but also believed he could have produced more while he was with them.

"The organization is cool; it's just that the personnel didn't work out," Lawson said. "I just know I was a better player than what I was showing there. I wasn't being used the right way. I'm not a space player. I like to have the ball in my hands."

Rockets interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff said he could not blame Lawson for his struggles with the Rockets, but was less specific about why it did not work. Lawson made 38.7 percent of his shots in 53 games with the Rockets, averaging 3.3 assists in 22.2 minutes per game with the Rockets.

"I was disappointed that it didn't work," Bickerstaff said. "When we traded for Ty, I thought it was going to be a great fit. He was going to help propel us to the next level. For whatever reason, it didn't work. I don't know if it was just the early transition of him learning to play without the ball, the limited opportunity he got. That may be some of my responsibility because he didn't get the opportunity he was accustomed to. For whatever reason, it didn't work and I was sad to see him go.

"I'm sure he wanted to play. With the right team, I think he deserves it. He's done enough in his career. There was no negative ending to our relationship with Ty. The opportunity was to go get a better fit, to play more minutes, more consistent minutes. He was given that here."[/rQUOTEr]

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The closest thing Lawson will ever get to a beating the Rockets by 20 again will be him finishing a mad dog 20/20 after a game or maybe before it.

3. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

damn this team sounds like it's broken behind the walls. Lawson felt like he got no respect by this org. Mainly from our sorry ass coaching staff

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I kinda wish we held onto Lawson long enough for him to get a shot with us under a proper coaching regime. Who is more proven - Ty Lawson, top 3 assists man in the whole NBA, or Bickerstaff/Finch?? I am still baffled how our coaches could get nothing out of Lawson - not with Harden - not without him.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

did not watch it

How many points did Ty really get?

6. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

If you add his turnovers tonight (not zero like the article says) and total DUI arrests, that gives you the total points scored.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He

is

right!

8. i3artow i3aller

Have another drink, Ty.
    [​IMG]

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Lawson may never score 20 points again.

10. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Goodness, coaching has been such a failure this season in all aspects of the Rockets game. It's become so obvious that it's not the team with all this talent,(including when ty was here.) but the coaches who are absolutely clueless about everything from the rotations, to defensive scheme to offensive execution. Just awful!!! This season is a text book example of how coaching can be the difference between winning and losing. Morey needs to appreciate the coaching aspect of basketball ASAP or he's gonna keep having seasons like this one.

11. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

"I wasn't being used the right way".

That seems to be a very common grievance among players who leave this team.

#12 RealityCheck, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/TyLawson3">@TyLawson3</a> moving it up the court to <a href="https://twitter.com/masfresco">@masfresco</a>: <a href="https://t.co/p6BR7mNZ2F">https://t.co/p6BR7mNZ2F</a></p>&mdash; Indiana Pacers (@Pacers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/714222974975381504">March 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ty Lawson is doing such a great job tonight. Creating offense for his teammates and for himself. Second unit is meshing nicely tonight.</p>&mdash; Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth) <a href="https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/714222025460428801">March 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ty Lawson played 8.5 minutes in the first half, had 4 assists. Hockey assists, too. Moves the ball better than anyone on Pacers roster.</p>&mdash; Mark Montieth (@MarkMontieth) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkMontieth/status/714228849429581824">March 27, 2016</a></blockquote>

Just for ****s & giggles:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pacers are 4-1 when Ty Lawson plays at least 5 minutes.</p>&mdash; iPacers (@iPacersblog) <a href="https://twitter.com/iPacersblog/status/714248798189527040">March 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

Herp derp Rockets are 7-0 without Ty Lawson and it's no coincidence! :grin:

So much for cutting out the "cancers" Ty Lawson & Marcus Thornton!

13. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Any real point guards will never suceed with the harden rockets.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Never was a good fit to begin with. You don't take the ball out of Harden's hands and give it to Ty Lawson. He said it himself, he's not a 'space' player. That's what you need next to Harden. Of course the ignorant will continue to blame JB.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Too bad Coach K isn't our coach. He'd tell Lawson that he's too good of a player to talk like that, after a win.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The personnel here isn't working out

I'll agree with him there

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Just another ex-Rocket coming back to haunt us. What else is new?

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Hell, he aint lying..

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He knows a thing or two about helping the rockets lose

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Of course not.

Houston: where point guards go to stand in the corner!

He'd tell Lawson that and then deny it later. :p

“He just told me that I’m too good of a player to be talking like that,” Lawson said after the game. “And he’s right. I’ve got to respect Houston.”

“I didn’t say that,” Krzyzewski said after the game. “You can say whatever you want. Ty Lawson is a hell of a player. I said, ‘You’re a terrific player.’ And you can take whatever he said and then go with it, all right?”

[​IMG]