1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two players with double digit assists?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Nov 26, 2017.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Harden is averaging 9.8 assists and CP3 is averaging 10.2 assists. Has there ever been a time when two players from the same team averaged double digit assists for a season. Has there ever been a duo that was even close?

Deckard, Deuce, Tfor3 and 10 others like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good question. Magic and Norm Nixon had a few years where they both were over 8 per game. I don’t recall two teammates averaging over 10, or even over 9.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

best team of all times confirmed

getbloodyred, Tfor3, mockster and 8 others like this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

[delete: absolute user error on my part lol]

Barring injury, it's safe to say we are going to witness something never seen before.

#4 BigMaloe, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Definitely very possible for it to happen this year.

Harden should take roughly 30 minutes to get 10 assists on average, simply because a lot of his focus will be towards scoring as well.

Chris Paul on the other hand looks like he can get 10+ assists in 20 minutes. He is not having any trouble at all picking up assists in his limited playing time.

Best part of all this is Chris Paul is a balanced/safe option in terms of playmaking. He can create plays whilst protecting the ball. If Harden is turning the ball over a lot the team can rely on Chris Paul to safely run the offense.

Zergling, Deckard, James.B.H and 9 others like this.
  6. durvasa

80/81 and 81/82 were the two seasons where they both averaged at least 8 per game.

7. durvasa

I doubt very much either player will average 10 assists this season, assuming they play most of the remaining games together. If I had to guess, Paul over 9 and Harden around the 8 range seems most likely.

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

The closest it's probably been, was in 83/84 season. John Lucas averaged 10.7 (63 games) & Johnny Moore 9.6 (59 games) assists per game for Spurs. After that season John Lucas returned to Rockets.

alethios, D-rock, Houstunna and 5 others like this.
  9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Did not show up on my qualifier list. Will have to relook it up.

Most likely a user error on my part. Thanks durvasa

DonKnock likes this.
  10. durvasa

Nice. One difference there is they weren't both starters in that lineup, so their floor time together was minimized.

The extent to which D'Antoni staggers Harden's and Paul's minutes will determine whether they can both keep their assists per game close to 10.

DonKnock and Normalus like this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I just hope the Rockets don't stat chase. It disrupts natural rhythm within the game.

12. rockbox

It's really hard for chasing assists to be a negative thing unless they are passing up open looks and run out the shot clock.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  13. rockbox

I just looked up that season. Neither one of them played more than 30 minutes and they only won 37 games. Talk about not playing defense at all.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think they'll both definitely stay above 9, which is great. We are only averaging 22.8 assists (11th in NBA). We should be above 25 and with this duo producing 18, we need the other 6 players to produce 7 or more. If Paul and Harden move well off the ball, it should be possible.

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Rocked have a 2-headed dragon of an offense:eek:

[​IMG]

Nook, alethios, James.B.H and 4 others like this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yup, just play. Don't pass up a shot just to get an assist when the game is on the line. If they do what's best for the team then I'm game.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Anybody got usuage stats for Harden and Paul when they both play

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It'll be tough. In the five games that they've played together, James has averaged 8.8 APG (35.1 MPG). He was averaging 10.2 APG (36.3 MPG) without Chris.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don’t view anything in terms of staggering minutes.

Since MDA plans to have one on the court at all times, I just view it as Paul plays by himself for ~12-14 mpg.

What can hurt this is Garbage Time blowouts, when they both sit. Since Paul starts the 4th and Harden doesn’t come in until the 8 or 7 minute mark, there will be games where JH doesn’t actually even play any in the 4th, or very little

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

This means GSW will have Clay to guard CP, Draymond on Harden ,this will leave Bobby wide open