1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Million People (and counting) Receiving Tax Reform Bonuses

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jan 12, 2018.

1. TheresTheDagger

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Looks like Harley Davidson workers are getting a bonus - in the form of unemployment and a new factory in Thailand!

But at least they have a stock buyback (haha no they don't own stock)

NewRoxFan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, just ran across this, the charts are interesting. I have no opinion on this one way or another.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/09/in-america-it-is-reality-vs-fantasy.php

In America, It Is Reality vs. Fantasy
    Posted on September 7, 2018 by John Hinderaker in Democrats, Economy, Taxes

I spent the day in Washington yesterday. The city is roiled by the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearing, where the Democrats are disgracing themselves with fantastical assertions against a superb, mainstream jurist. Beyond the Kavanaugh hearing, the city’s main obsession is an anonymous op-ed in the New York Times by a person who may or may not exist and may or may not be a senior executive branch official. The gist of the op-ed is that President Trump has a mercurial personality.

I was in D.C. to testify before the Joint Economic Committee on the effects of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on Minnesota’s economy. Those effects have been magnificently positive, as they have been on the national economy. Among other things, I showed the committee charts that document the Act’s impact on jobs and wages in Minnesota. This one shows the seasonally adjusted net change in employment in Minnesota. The positive impact of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is obvious:

[​IMG]

This chart shows average hourly earnings for Minnesota’s private sector employees, seasonally adjusted. After stagnating during the second half of 2017, wage growth took off after passage of the Act:

[​IMG]

Just this morning, the Labor Department announced more great news:

American wages unexpectedly…

Unexpectedly!

…climbed in August by the most since the recession ended in 2009 and hiring rose by more than forecast, keeping the Federal Reserve on track to lift interest rates this month and making another hike in December more likely.

Average hourly earnings for private workers increased 2.9 percent from a year earlier, a Labor Department report showed Friday, exceeding all estimates in a Bloomberg survey and the median projection for 2.7 percent. Nonfarm payrolls rose 201,000 from the prior month, topping the median forecast for 190,000 jobs.

This is reality. The Democrats’ clown show is fantasy. Fortunately, most people care more about reality than fantasy. Still, both confusing the facts and distracting people from them are tactics at which the Left excels.

A Democratic Congress never would have passed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. In fact, not a single Democrat voted for it. And Hillary Clinton never would have signed it. The progress the U.S. economy has made since Donald Trump took the helm from the hapless Barack Obama is an ongoing rebuke to the Democrats’ anti-growth policies. This is one reason the Democrats are so anxious to regain control over the House in November. With the House in Democrat hands, they won’t be able to repeal the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, but they will be able to guarantee that no more pro-growth, pro-worker legislation will be enacted. They will focus on impeaching President Trump instead.

In other words, if they get their way, fantasy will triumph over reality.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Heheh

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You got duped

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...w-strong-have-job-gains-been-tax-bill-passed/

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. biina

biina Member

Tax cut and trickle down economics is the equivalent of fetching water with a basket - there is nothing to show for it at the end of the day

Hakeemtheking and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. SamFisher

American workers still getting in their 2 cents worth! Take that libs.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Hey, that two cents bought my grandchild two pieces of gum.
    [​IMG]
    You ever see how much joy a gumball machine brings a child?

2 whole pieces!!!

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I expect to see a yearly list from the OP on these companies renewing their bonuses, since the tax cut was permanent. Christmas bonus time again!

SamFisher likes this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

Although they still did not credit the tax cut, our company sent out communications late yesterday stating that all employees will receive a $1500 bonus. Again they stated that this bonus is not tied to our annual wage increases or regular performance bonuses. Last year was the first time we have ever received a bonus like this and they are doing it again and giving us even more this year. Since they did not credit the tax cut for our bonuses I can't sat for sure that is the reason but we never received these extra bonuses prior to the tax cut. Something tells me that is not a coincidence.

TheFreak likes this.
  11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

And that something? Cognitive bias.

12. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I think the tax cut and the favorable environment for investment has created more investing and more jobs. Thus many companies are having significant labor problems and are using their earnings to retain good talent and show more appreciation.

No the Never Trumpers may **** on everything his administration does but the fight for employees is fervent and has led to a tremendous opportunity for people to move up to better jobs, multiple job offers and rising wages and forcing companies to pay more to current employees like above.

Funds will always be invested and multiply more in the hands of entrepreneurs, individuals and investors. We are the greatest force to know where to spend and how to spend. Our efficiency as shoppers has led to the collapse of Sears, the growth of Walmart and Amazon. We want the most and know what we're willing to spend as consumers. We propelled Apple to the being one of the largest companies in the world due to our willingness to pay money most thought was ludicrous for a phone, as the value proposition was there.

These competitive industries and money in the hands of consumers always does the best for society. Think about the industries in which government attempts to normalize, keep competitive and overly regulate?: Healthcare, Education and Housing.

All three have been terrible in terms of silly incentives, lack of clarity in pricing and tremendous inflation and inefficiencies due to government attempting to mandate policies in these fields.

Trump and the American worker has succeeded not because he is a genius, but because he is just getting government out of the way of people that can start and invest and grow business.

cml750 likes this.
  13. SamFisher

Bump again

Where were all the Trump Tax Cut bonuses this year?

Did I miss something? o_O

14. SamFisher

BUMP - just want to say I'm one of the 10 million people paying a Trump Tax Cut Non-bonus in the form of capped SALT deductions, and I don't even live in a super-high tax area.

Cry me a river, I know, also screw Paul Ryan, Trump, and anybody who voted for this piece of sh-t. I mean I was predisposed to despise it, but writing a check for it, well, it adds a special motivation.

This is why "capitalism" is under siege.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Capitalism is under siege because you now have to pay your fair share of taxes?

cml750 likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Hasn’t that been conservative orthodoxy, any taxes are unfair?

17. dmoneybangbang

I was always a fan of corporate tax cuts but everything else was unnecessary.

Middle class gets tax cuts at the expense of services they use. It’s pretty clear that the tax cuts won’t pay for themselves and in fact they’ll make us do a combination of cutting entitlements/raising revenue down the line. I truly don’t get why the GOP decided it prudent to mess with state revenue with some of its hijinks in tax reform.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

'Fair share' - that's a good one.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I hate the changes that were made to the taxes, it literally cut all of my write offs... I can no longer write off the money I spend for supplies for working from home... Can't write off my study and more... I am literally paying back THOUSANDS of dollars this year and i'm not the only one....

There was another guy at the accountant office who was just yelling and pissed.. Said he wasn't angry at the accountant but at the new laws... First person I have actually heard say that he wish he had never voted for Trump.

T_Man