1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Days In New York

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by StupidMoniker, May 4, 2013.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So, I am going to a wedding in Jersey at the end of May, and (as a result of wanting to take a few vacation days and not wanting to spend a week in Jersey) spending a couple of days in NYC, should I go for the touristy stuff (Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Central Park, etc.) or is there something better to spend my time on (with the caveat that I will be spending one night at Yankee Stadium and will only have a hotel in the city for two nights)? Also, is that a run on sentence, or is there an exception for parentheticals.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Is OP Chris Rock?

[​IMG]

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I've been to NYC several times on family vacations during Christmas holidays and each time we've made some great memories.
    I would recommend Rockefeller Center and while you are there you can go to the Top of the Rock and you'll get fantastic views
    of the whole city. You may also enjoy one of the many great Broadway shows they are incredible! Another can't miss is Central park,
    they have bicycles you can rent or take one of the pedicabs and have the guide tell you all the places where famous people live and
    all the places that have been used for movie scenes. There is also an Olive Garden right smack in the middle of Times Square, I know
    it's only Olive Garden but you really can't find a better location than this restaurant to have dinner or lunch!

Really NYC is a tourist city that has something for everyone, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

(P.S) If you are going to take a boat ride on the Circle Line, get there early
    it's first come first serve REGARDLESS if you purchase your tickets online!!..:eek:

4. The Stig

The Stig Member

Well I'm a big food person, so I would recommend going out to Eataly near Madison Square Park. They have various of Italian food and wine tasting there which is amazingly good.

Shake Shack if you like hamburgers
    Asian food wise, there's a great Korean BBQ restaurant near the Empire State Building called New Wonjo. Devi Restaurant (I think?) has really good Indian food. Pho 32 is pretty good too if you like Vietnamese food. It's owned by Koreans so they make it slightly healthier (less MSG)

Tourist attraction wise, I love going to Rockefeller centre and that general area. There's always something going on over there. You should go see a musical, its quite an awesome experience! In downtown, you should go see the new WTC. I lived in Spruce Tower when I'm there and I think if you're a fan of architecture, you should go see that. It's next to the city hall.

Hope some of these ideas help.

5. carlosc

carlosc Member

Guy Fieri's restaurant is also in Times Square and it's bound to be awesome. It's received excellent reviews. You could enjoy lunch at the Olive Garden and dinner at Guy Fieri's. I can't think of a better or more authentic New York experience.

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

do all the touristy stuff like you mentioned

the hipsters will tell you to go hang out in Brooklyn but don't listen to them

try to get a reservation at Per Se for dinner. I will be there in June

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I went to visit NY and I highly recommend this place.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ippudo-ny-new-york

Ippudo. Such badass Ramen Noodles!

Other than that, my favorite part of NYC was hanging out at Central Park, really love that park.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Never been to Guy Fieri's, but I will look them up the
    next time I'm in NYC. The only reason I mentioned
    the Olive Garden is because it's literally right in the
    center of Times Square. Thanks for sharing!

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

You gotta go visit Madame Tussauds' Wax Museum.

11. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Devi is closed, I believe.

12. arif1127

Supporting Member

Read the review of Guy's restaurant in the NYTimes, it gets absolutely destroyed.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

hole in the wall/street vendor food

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Really depends on you. I was just there and saw Book of Mormon. If you feel like dropping the dough, I enjoyed it.

I've never been to the Statue of Liberty, but from what I hear, it takes a large chunk of your day.

15. arif1127

Supporting Member

Plenty of other great restaurants in NY that don't cost $295 a person. Momofuku Ko is an amazing meal and only $125:)

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

As always, you cannot leave NYC without trying the Chicken and Rice Halal on 53rd and 6th.

17. The Stig

The Stig Member

Hmm. Must be getting that restaurant mixed up with another one. I know that there's a good Indian restaurant in that area though. :confused:

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Other things to do/see...
    Empire State, Broadway Shows(at the evening), Central Park, Little Italy(food)

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Chicken and Rice is great cheap food late night...

or try Mamoun's (falel, Shawarmas)

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

please whatever you do don't go to New York City and eat at the freaking Olive Garden.

#20 across110thstreet, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013