1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two big IF's...but IF Bynum is healthy for an entire season and IF Bennett is the ROY...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Do you think the Cavs would be a legit threat in the East?

Again, if Bynum is healthy and Bennett is worthy of the #1 pick and becomes the ROY, do you think it's possible that they're a threat in the East, with Kyrie Irving also healthy?

Irving is at least a top 5 PG, maybe even top 3, and Bynum is the 2nd best center in the league when healthy.

They have a nice supporting cast, and with a few tweaks, could be a really good team.

What do you think?

Irving(healthy)
    Waiters
    Bennett(not sure if he'll play the 3, but he says he can. Thompson may be trade bait)
    Thompson
    Bynum(healthy)

with a bench consisted of jarrett jack, anderson varejao, alonzo gee, etc.

How good would this team be if everything worked out for them?

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

threat? no, playoffs? yes, holy **** if they get lebron? definitely

They have the worst defensive back court in the nba right now, and no real wing stopper with it, and bynum even when healthy isn't some elite anchor to cover holes (the lakers used to tandem the weak side/strong side between gasol and bynum to cover for it, whereas they need someone like a healthy dwight that can do both).

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A healthy Bynum is the second best center in the league and the best posting center. The cavs would make the playoffs for sure and would scare the crap out of some teams.

As big of a bozo as Bynum is, he has contributed big time to two rings.

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Threat in the sense until they meet the Heat they have a legit shot to win a series.

No one in the east can compete with the Heat EXCEPT the Nets and that is only if everything falls right (PP and Garnett get a 2nd wind, Deron shows up, Lopez learns to get some damn rebounds).

5. supdudes

supdudes Member

FIFY.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

The funny thing with this is they had picked any of the following guys instead of Tristan Thompon they wouldn't have to deal with any of these IFs: Jonas Valanciunas (most logical pick), Klay Thompson, Alec Burks, Vessly, Leonard, Harris, Faried, D-MO etc all of whom would have been a better fit with the current Cavs team than TT, who's looking like a 3M a year guy at best.

But that's why LBJ left, the Cavs have one of the more passionate owners but their FO is ******* terrible. He fired Ferry but the guys he replaced him with seem worse, instead of trying to replicate OKC Thunder they've pretty been getting the most NBA-ready player they could get. How good would the Cavs have been instead with Irving, Drummond, Thompson and then Bennett if they really wanted him? Hell, if they just stuck to the "projected drafts" every site out there put out they'll be on their way to Thunder East by now: Irving, Jonas V, Barnes and then Oladipo. I predict Irving will shake his head and do a decision 2.0 after his first non-rookie contract finishes.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pacers, Bulls and maybe the Nets(I'm still not believers in them) are the only real threats to Miami.

#8 J.R., Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  9. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't see how Anthony Bennett will be able to play SF.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...even if both of those things happen, the Heat, Pacers, Nets and probably the Bulls would still be heavy favorites over them, so I say no.

11. basketballholic

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts......

Remember Andy Bynum is the guy some of you swore Morey would settle for takin in trade in lieu of getting Dwight from Orlando a year ago.

Cleveland just gave away $6 million.

12. AB423

AB423 Member

Cleveland sure has a loaded team.. don't forget Varejao was a monster before he got injured.

13. Normalus

Normalus Member

I would like to see LeBron face if Cavs make playoffs and beats them in first round. I don't need Christmass presents if that happens!!! :grin:

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry to burst your bubble. Lebron and Benett play similar positions. He is going to slow down Benett's growth. If they get him.
    I'll get myself out of this IF game.

15. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Irving(healthy) > Harden
    Waiters = Lin
    Bennett > Parsons
    Thompson > our PF
    Bynum(healthy) < Dwight

We have a better bench. If they get Lebron, it will be crazy

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not sure about these...

Not sure how you can say Bennett, who has yet to play an NBA minute, is better than Parsons, who's arguably a Top 10 NBA small forward. I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm skeptical, especially when you consider that Bennett will have to adjust to being a SF to begin his career.

And Irving and Harden are very close if they're both healthy, but Harden averages more points with a higher TS%, and higher PER. Granted...Irving is younger and I would probably say has a slightly higher ceiling, but he also plays a much deeper position and can't get through a season without injury. Harden is very durable and will be the best SG in the league for years to come, and it won't even be close once Kobe and Wade are done. For those reasons...I take the Beard.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No way. Ball dominant shooting point guards don't win in the NBA.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bennett hasn't played a single game in the NBA. We'll see how good he is. Also, don't count on Bynum being healthy. He's probably close to done and the Cavs will be lucky if he plays half the season. Sad to say, but the Cavs will also be lucky if Kyrie plays the whole season.

They won't get LeBron because he won't leave Miami as long as Pat Riley is there. The early terminations will allow the Heat to, restructure, retool and repeat which I regret.

19. DoubleDribble

DoubleDribble New Member

They would be a threat if Andrew Bynum had a brain.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If they get lebron they are the favorites, but you could say that about a lot of teams.