1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

TWill - TNot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Pretty sure people have fallen in love with him because his potential is through the roof. He has good size, really good handles, good court vision, and excellent athleticism.

The only things missing are a consistent jumper, an understanding that he doesn't need to do too much, and he needs to learn how to be a professional. If he can find a way to get those areas down, I think he can be a very good player.

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Can we please play Twill as PG? He needs to be on the floor. Maybe he can learn to post up backup PG's. If Rajon Rondo can play PG (but not be able to shoot worth a lick), TWill can be used that way. Let him overpower other PG's.

Dump Flynn, who sucks and does not appear t have a clue. Talk about pointless motion.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

The problem is people never take into account BBIQ when it comes to potential. That's why people would compare him to players like T-Mac, despite T-Mac's being so much better at decision-making it's not even funny.

I see his upside as someone like Jason Williams. I see his likely potential to be a more well-rounded Von Wafer.

4. Sen89

Sen89 Member

It may be obvious to some, but the only way T-Will will be able to grow is to see time.

He is capable of impacting the game positively in so many ways, but still suffers from forcing the issue, TOs and bad shots. Those detrimental aspects will only subside with time as he gains confidence and experience. It's nearly-impossible for a player like him to play sporadically and be in perfect rhythm.

And to the poster above hating on Flynn, stop. He's immensely talented, he just needs to get his legs and feel for the game back.

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I have never heard or read so many negative stupid comments before a season has even begun on posts and threads. Is there some kind of "basic basketball IQ test" we can run?

T Will will make people shut up and clap their hands this year.. My prediction. He has a very high ceiling and coach will bring this out.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I always thought the best measure for Basketball IQ is court vision, play making and ball sharing, since you almost never hear of a player that demonstrates all three of these qualities but are considered a dumb player.

T-Will demonstrates all three of these qualities. I'd say he's a pretty smart basketball player, but I think a lot of people confuse his attitude and personality with his on court intelligence. It's understandable why people think he's not a smart basketball player considering his erratic behavior, but when you look at his ability to react to defense and find the open man it's hard to call him a dumb basketball player.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

That's why it is called potential... Decision-making is something that can definitely improve. You just need actual time on the court.

Except he's really nothing like those players.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sorry, but I would keep him as far away from PG as possible.

TWill's major strengths right now are rebounding, and driving the ball to the hoop for a basket or a pass. His major "potential" and upside is his ability to defend and close out using his athleticism. His biggest weakness is decision making. At this point you want to instill confidence in him, and play to his strengths. You do that by taking the decisions out of his hands, so that he doesn't get in his own way. Watching him try to run a team was painful. And the last thing you want to do is iso him in the post on PGs.(or anywhere on anyone) I don't think he has ever shown that ability.

#68 CXbby, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not really. You can generally tell players who make dumb decisions because they're dumb(basketball wise not real life) and those that simply make mistakes because they're young.

It's hard to find comparables when most of TWill's comparables tend to be out of the NBA after being disappointments. You know, guys like Rhodrick Rhodes or Donte Green.

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Of course, you can tell this by simply watching his limited minutes in garbage time last year and his one preseason game this year. Unless of course you're going to pretend you watched every game he ever played for the New Jersey Nets.

There's this guy over in Philadelphia named Andre Iguodala.

Obviously, Terrence Williams still needs quite a bit of work, but I think Iguodala is a very real possibility for him. He just needs to actually get some consistent playing time.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

TWill's issue is not his BBall IQ, he has a really high one it looks like to me, what he has a problem with is risk/reward assesment, when to pass it to a cutting teamate and when to know it is too risky.

That generally gets corrected with playing time...GENERALLY.....

I would love to see him get some burn at PG, if he could be a backup to the backup at PG, that would be huge for us.

DD

12. cod

cod Member

I don't know, something about his game reminds me more of a lesser Bonzi than Iggy.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Risk reward assessment is one part of BBall Intelligence IMHO.

14. DaDakota

I generally agree, but I am making an exception because I believe he is trying too hard to earn some playing time and will cool off on some of the more risky passes once he has earned a spot in the rotation.

DD

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree. And tell that to Marcus.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You could see how he calmed down in the 2nd half and started to go off. What do you think would happen if he had started and finished the game the same way?:eek: The question should be, will T-Will avg. a double-double? I say yes.
    (12 and 10)

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody of today's swing man has. Not a Lebron. Not a Kobe.

18. DaDakota

Gerald Wallace, Shawn Marion.

DD

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think T-Will has the potential to avg. double figure points and rebounds. Possibly even assists.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok. I stand corrected. Wallace did it once. Marion is just an enigma....freak of nature.
    Wonder why nobody has given them enough credits.
    They are elite at what they do and natural defenders on top of all.
    Can you really match those 6'7 guys with long arms with Twill?