1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Last Ship

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jun 23, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I thought the premise was kinda cool, but I missed the pilot.

Why did the Russians attack the ship?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The world's governments have largely fallen apart. There is no "Russia" anymore. There is an offshoot military arm that is seeking the "cure" that Rhona Mitra is working on. They have no idea how close or far she is from it. They attacked to get her/the cure.

The US president said it best when she said there are no allies, no enemies, no treaties, just a world of sick and dying people who will do anything to get a cure.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Apparently most of the world's populations/governments have been wiped out by this virus and Russian gov't has fallen but they have some rogue units operating. They know that the ship has the doctors who may have a cure. It also appears that someone weaponized the virus and spread it that way, and perhaps the Russian military unit has something to do with it

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

'MURICA....**** YEAH!!!;)

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It will be just my luck to give it a chance later than the rest of y'all, and just in time for literal shark jumping (while shooting down helicopters).

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Hey guys, my cousin is on this show. He's from Houston and this is his first major break in acting. He plays Lt. Chung....the Asian guy in engineering. Filmed in 7 out of 9 of the episodes so at least I know he doesn't die anytime soon. :) Support the show if you can!

7. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

So far I like it. It lacks depth and great writing and would have you believe that junior officers have a much more involved role than they actually do, but it is entertaining. The only other issue I have is the lack of diversity in it. I only mention it as a man actually serving in US Navy (I am Hispanic).

What I do like about it is that it has hints of Mass Effect and Firefly. With a better producer, this thing could be outstanding. I just finished the second episode, but hope it gets away from the cookie cutter tendencies and gets interesting. Given that it's TNT, I don't think it will, though it could continue to be worth watching.

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

So far I like it. It lacks depth and great writing and would have you believe that junior officers have a much more involved role than they actually do, but it is entertaining. The only other issue I have is the lack of diversity in it. I only mention it as a man actually serving in US Navy (I am Hispanic). Before anyone gets upset with asking for the inclusion of more minorities (don't want to turn this into a D&D thread), I'm just using the last five ships I've supported in the last year as data points.

What I do like about it is that it has hints of Mass Effect and Firefly. With a better producer, this thing could be outstanding. I just finished the second episode, but hope it gets away from the cookie cutter tendencies and gets interesting. Given that it's TNT, I don't think it will, though it could continue to be worth watching.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Both my wife and I enjoy it. I agree with others that it's not the best writing and having the Russians as the antagonist is kind of cliche but I'm willing to give it more of a shot.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Watched the third episode and I'm still enjoying it, not the best thing on TV but battleship fights and Rhona are enough to keep me around unless it nose dives like Falling Skies....

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

With people bashing me for being negative about another show, I decided to write something about a show I am enjoying.

Season 2 of The Last Ship picked up right where season 1 left off. I was a bit worried that season 2 might be a disaster because the first season was campy fun and I wasn't sure they could keep that vibe going, but they allayed my fears right off the bat. I really enjoyed the first two episodes of season 2. Hopefully they can keep it going through the rest of the season.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

While everyone was off being a bad ass, Jayne from Firefly was in full b**** mode for 2 hours. He was in that communications locker reacting to what was on computer screens THEN he almost got his ass handed to him by a fat guy. They need a new XO.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Almost forgot season 2 started, going to need to watch the premiere.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It was a pretty good premiere. Things seemed to wrap up a bit too easily, but I'm glad they didn't spend 4 episodes on that. I think they moved the story in just the right amount of time. I'm curious to see the fallout of Granderson's regime collapse and how they'll fix up Baltimore. There's still threats out there, considering the Russian commander is still alive somehow and Patient Zero is out to infect everyone.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So, 2 episodes in and I have to say, this is probably my favorite show on television.

It moves at a good pace and doesn't bog down in things that it shouldn't be involved in (the rebuilding of Baltimore is not left to the Captain of this ship, etc.)

Good pacing, lots of action, gut punches aren't done over and over so they have more impact when delivered, etc. Nice "feel good" moments, lighthearted at times, serious when it needs to be.

Just a fun show.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

When they were conveyor-belting human bodies to burn at the power plant, my wife decided it was too dystopian to watch, ha.

I think it would take more energy to burn a human body than you'd get out of it, it' would be a net energy loser like ethanol.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Season 2 finished strong IMO.

Showrunners says next season will be quite a bit different and the show will go to another level.

This show is a very good, light bite during the summer.

18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Can't believe TNT cancelled Dallas but renewed The Last Ship. Not impressed with this show at all.

I bet TNT is getting funding subsidies of some sort from the U.S Navy for recruiting marketing.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This show is so stupid and I love it.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's pretty generic, campy, and predictable, but it's entertaining enough as a Michael Bay show plugging the Navy and Murica.

It's something to watch in the slow summer season.