1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[TV]The Expanse season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Feb 16, 2017.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When did Holden become so crazy?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I love this show. Wish the ratings were better.

I'm not sold on the whole protomolecule angle. It's a little out of left field, to much fantasy. But I otherwise love this universe

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

See, I like the show because it looks nice and the mechanics of the universe are awesome, but the story.. it isn't intriguing. It doesn't move me at all.

4. dmoneybangbang

He saw some things on Eros man.....

But I'm not the biggest fan of Holden personally.

5. dmoneybangbang

Protomolecule... renegade AI... gotta have something as the antagonist. Although, I see your point as they could have just stuck with the politics and cultural aspects of a human society that has become increasingly isolated from each other due to the vastness of space.

6. thejav

thejav Member

how can you not like Holden.

No Worries likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have a similar response to Gray's Anatomy. I keep thinking that those doctors are bat **** crazy and no one in the right mind with a medical emergency would go to that hospital. I fully understand that I do not get "it" with GA and obviously I have mentaly locked on a minor point on the series, that I will never get past.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do I have to watch the first season in order to enjoy the second one?

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You need the context to enjoy S2, which is a HUGE improvement over a clumsy S1 IMO.

If you haven't watched the show at all, it may not be worth starting from scratch right now. The chances of cancellation after S3 are near 100%. Just wait another year and "binge" all 30-35 episodes.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He went full Ahab

Rocket River

No Worries likes this.
  11. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I haven't posted on here in several years, but I didn't know where else to discuss this show. It is so awesome. I'm through episode 6 of season 2 and can't wait to finish so I can read all of the comments on both threads.

I feel the characters are more grounded than most sci-fi series. I like how it's not straight up battling aliens or anything like that. I like that they use guns with real bullets instead of laser guns.

Some people don't see the comparison to Game of Thrones, but I see it all over. Both use genre tropes such as magic or aliens in big moments, but not all the time. That way it feels more important when something crazy happens. Both shows are very political, where the different factions are squabbling with themselves instead of dealing with the White Walkers/Protomolecule. The separation of characters makes for big moments when they meet. Both shows have complex political structure, and make you pay attention, which makes the show more rewarding when the writers are able to bring something from left-field you didn't predict. Game of Thrones obviously has about 10x the characters and the biggest budget television has ever seen, but SyFy has done something really special, it's just a shame that it might get cancelled if more people don't start watching.

I think one of the biggest problems this show will have going forward is the network it is hosted on. I think there is a certain stigma for broad audiences when they see something related to fantasy/sci-fi. I felt it yesterday when I was telling my coworker about it. This guy loves GoT but you could almost see repulsion in his face when I told him it was on SyFy. If GoT was on "The Fantasy Network" I doubt it would have the same audience or made it this long. A network like FX would be great for this show. NBC Universal owns USA. I don't know why they wouldn't put this on a bigger network to attract more fans to their show with this huge of a budget. This would be great after Mr. Robot and would attract similar kinds of viewers.

No Worries, bumbum09 and peleincubus like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I started watching this on prime because it was in uhd. I'm glad I stuck through the first season because everything post eros has been the best TV live action space sci fi since bsg. Alot of unexpected feels from investing in the characters.

The spinning ship reminded me of Babylon 5, a series that is still quite memorable to me, and a good lesson not to drop a show half a season in for it's clunkiness and slow pace.

It almost makes me want to read all the books whenever that finishes.

Hope Amazon releases season four soon.

peleincubus, arkoe and fchowd0311 like this.