1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[tv] The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I suppose, but if he was planning on defecting why not scream out for help? Especially if he thought they were going eventually going to kill him.

Also, why was the male spy already waiting in the garage in the final scene?

2. TheresTheDagger

He didn't know exactly what the FBI agent was there to do. He was prepared to kill him if need be. But it didn't come to that.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

right but he was already hiding in the garage before the FBI agent showed up, why?

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

hard to believe they didn't put this up on DirecTV ON DEMAND. i guess they don't really want anyone watching it. according to DirecTV, i have to wait for the 2/5 repeat airing. okay. lol. seems like you would want to promote it to get an audience for it by having it out there but guess not. dropped the ball imo.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You can watch it online via Hulu. That's what I did.

6. TheresTheDagger

Gotta assume he was watching him the whole time he was breaking in. Or perhaps he just happened to be in the garage when he broke in and hid in the corner.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^ yeah.
    I think he saw him before he got in. In the last episode the guy (forget his name) made a reference about now he is able to get some sleep because the neighbor didn't find anything.

For the show in general, I've been pleasantly surprised. Much better than I anticipated and am looking forward to see how it all develops.

I still think they could have defected before
    he killed the prisoner
    but I get that then the show would have been over so I guess I can understand.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Thanks, I did not know that. What is baffling is FX has a Windows 8 app, but they don't stream videos to it. WTF is the point of it?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They can't defect because she won't let them and he won't leave her. He loves her more than country and she's struggling with what she loves more. That will be the major underlying plot theme throughout. She will slowly move towards loving him more than she feels duty to Russia.

Outstanding show so far in my opinion.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like this show but my wife pointed out something while watching the preview for episode 3... it seems a little formulaic already, as if every episode will be very similar - they'll have some mission to do, which will come close to blowing their cover, while they wrestle their own personal demons.

I mean, as that's the basis of the show, I understand that's what a lot of it is, but I think she has a point... how will the show be more than that to keep my interest?

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I know that. I was referring to
    the part were he killed the guy they kidnapped. I know he killed him because he raped her but, before he did that, she was willing to defect...she said "do whatever you want". He could have taken the guy to the Fed next door, and worked out a deal.

12. justtxyank

I think you misinterpret what she meant. She was not going to defect. Her "do what you want with him" line was her walking away. She wouldn't have defected with him at that point, she probably would have killed herself. It was him killing the guy that made her see that he loved her. That was the moment that everything changed.

13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

still disagree. I don't think she would have killed herself because of the children, but she sure in hell wouldn't have been happy.

14. Anxiety Trooper

She said she would kill herself before being captured. You are wrong.

15. justtxyank

In the last episode she said she would kill herself before she'd let the Americans have her.

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I don't think her strong exterior is quite as strong as we are led to believe...especially when it comes to her own family. Meaning, as much "motherland" talk as she gives, I don't think it's so clear that she would leave her family for it, i.e kill herself had he defected.

Could be wrong...just my opinion.

no you are wrong :rolleyes:

No one can be wrong because it's a pure hypothetical.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'll stick with Homeland for my double cross type of show.

18. Anxiety Trooper

Wasn't trying to be a dbag. Just pointing out the fact that your claim was not in line with what the character verbally stated. I agree that the female spy is shifting her stance on Russia over family. But it's my opinion that her stance is evolving and at that point she would not turn herself in.

So yeah your wrong ;) just kidding bro:grin:

19. Anxiety Trooper

You're right. But I believe the writers are attempting to convey (with the first episode) that at that point in time she was country over family

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I totally get that. Like i said, it wouldn't have been much of a season had he just defected in the the first episode.

On a side note...i'm having a hard time getting past the fact that the Fed guy was Truman's best friend on the Truman show.