1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Turkey Leg Hut vs It's Neighbours

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 7, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Turkey Leg Hut is a very popular restaurant in Houston's Third Ward. Its in an area that has pretty much been redeveloped with fairly expensive homes. Ive never been but from all accounts it gets pretty packed. Its black owned.

Its neighbors have filed some complaints against it. They say they don't want to see it move, the complaints are about the smoke mainly.

IMO it does seem the complainants may want it to leave. They definitely could be bothered by the crowds

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...e/Noxious-smoke-v-colonizers-and-14885881.php

Os Trigonum and MiddleMan like this.
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I drive Almeda several times a week and have for approaching a decade. I live a couple of miles away.

There are some pretty easy themes about gentrification and race, but it is a touch more complicated.

First, actually isnt within the boundary of the 3rd Ward, which ends at 288. Alameda is the first major street west of 288. Is is "Museum District". All the homes in the neighborhood have been what they are for at least as long as I've been living in the area which is 15 years. There are condos 5 or 10 blocks to the West that are more recent, but everything "around" Turkey Leg Hut is really old.

However, Almeda has always been lined with African American focused businesses and most of the people come out of the third ward to frequent them.

However, Turkey Leg Hut has really exploded in the last year or two. Before that I wasnt sure it was even open. On weekends now it shuts down the whole street with people walking in the street, and drivers rolling slowly looking for nonexistant parking so that I try and avoid it.

I'm not sure what the answer here, but the "gentrificaton" angle and "whitey moving in and telling us to stop what we've always been doing" angle doesn't really float to me. It has always been an african american street adjacent

That having been said, my wife gets annoyed at my neighbors when they grill from the "fumes" so I'm guessing the "noxious fumes" angle is way overblown too. It basically seems like a super-heavy cookout every time I drive by. If you have a neighbor that grills regularly, imagine them increasing the volume by 15x, and doing it nearly every day. I get how that could be annoying, but that is just unzonned Houston, I think.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly man, this just boils down to the lack of zoning laws as you mentioned above. Is great and it isn't great. I hope they get to remain, they were there before the people that are complaining (even if just got recently popular, I wouldn't know since I had never heard of this place before I saw the article on the chronicle.)

Zoning is great for our development, since it doesn't regulate developers, but this is the result of no zoning. You have to live with the good and the bad.

Invisible Fan, MiddleMan and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minor correction, the article indicates they all lived there before the restaraunt opened.

MiddleMan and pgabriel like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like an idiot for missing that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I guess I hope the owners win then. Regardless, this is the effects of zoning. I live in fifth ward and I'm worried about what eventually will be built across my house where an empty lot sits. It actually looks like a good spot for gas station, but I hope I'm wrong lol.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I bet they have great food but damn they need to hire a damn food photographer. They have some nasty and blurry photos on their website. Can't even see what the hell it is supposed to be.

Rocket River likes this.
  7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if they were there first then im siding with the business.

here in austin, one of the blacks (EDIT: reading this looks bad - its family name, not racial identity!) from lockhart opened a bbq restaurant on barton springs drive, directly below a neighborhood. the smoke was coming up the hill right into everyones houses. in that case id side with the residents b/c they were there first.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/neighbors-of-south-austin-bbq-restaurant-sue-over-smoke

Invisible Fan and MiddleMan like this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I had no doubt its about the crowd and i think people understand that for the most part but black people love this place and they are gonna focus on race/gentrification.

You're right about how you describe it. Its the dividing line but blacks claim it. There are also the black clubs there.

Edit: was the dividing line. Midtown's moving right through there. However for people not that familiar that part of third ward was originally Jewish thus the big homes. That was a middle to upper middle class black neighborhood afterwards

#8 pgabriel, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There are things they can do to eliminate the smoke and odor. It’s not cheap equipment but there are ways. The restaurant would have to be willing to invest an additional $100-200k.

(I sell commercial kitchen ventilation)

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If they lived there before it opened they have a right to complain about the smoke etc. Something like this happened in Austin when Stiles Switch opened in Crestview -- thick BBQ smoke was blowing through the neighborhood just about 24/7 -- it was really ridiculous.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Neighbours? :)

Ubiquitin and pgabriel like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Solid menu. Crab legs and gumbo look legit, not sure about their specialty shrimp alfredo topped turkey leg though.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Arent there ways to trap smoke?

14. Senator

Senator Member

There is a similar place called Lotus Seafood that hurts surrounding businesses because they attract a loud and aggressive urban crowd near Westchase. It's a life and death experience going there during non lunch hours because no one really wants to park and would rather just blast angry rap music in the parking lot. I know the nearby Peruvian restaurant does not like it all , it affects their bottom line, but cannot take any legal action.

15. Senator

Senator Member

Black on black lawsuits are racist?

This is the Jussie Smollet school of race card baiting when things don't go your way. I would look into exhaust equipment or a different location - it's not a place for locals it attracts people from out of town.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im with you on a lot of racial subjects but this has nothing to do with rowdiness. Nice racist assumption. Its just a lot of people. Long waits Long waits lines out the door

Blacks feel they loey this neighborhood and dont want to see a black business closed because of success

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. Senator

Senator Member

Smoke and smells are a real issues for residents, some of them black, who were there before the business opened. I invest my own time and money into third ward small biz promotion - but you cannot ignore regulations and hurt surrounding residents because you want to be a symbol for something. Perhaps SYl Turner should designate TLH a cultural landmark and give them a more secluded piece of land in Houston where smoke and smells will not be an issue. Also this is not a small mom and pops shop... they have a huge following and would not be hurt by moving to a location where they can billow all the smoke they want.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Goode Company barbecue is right on Kirby. There are barbecue places in nice neighborhoods. They do sound like they are trying to fix it

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If these guys are shutting down the street due to traffic they’re probably losing customers and money due to being over capacity and it’s time to move anyway.

20. Buck Turgidson

True but it's tricky. You over-expand to adjust to demand and the quality can suffer.