1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TSN: New stats make defenders like Everett stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xcrunner51, Aug 30, 2006.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well if your goal is only to win that, and get swept in the world series then...ok.

My take would be we got there because of our starting pitching...not our defense.

DD

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, clearly they didn't have enough to get it done. and it was all ausmus and everett. if we had just had julio lugo it would have all been different.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Are you saying we were swept because of Adam Everett?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm gonna guess that the stros had a better record in 01 than any years that the astros went to the playoffs with everett.

5. msn

msn Member

Tired, illogical take. The team got further in the playoffs that any other team in Astros' history--that is now the benchmark of historical success (unfortunately) for this club, regardless if some fans come out with this lame "you can't settle for that!!!!11!" crap.

6. AggieRocketFan96

We are all Astros fans here. Obviously we've had a pretty decent team over the last few years but clearly not enough to win it all and we definently don't have as good a team as last year. I just want to see a powerful Astros offense for a change that goes with our solid starting pitching. Everett, Ausmus, and Ensberg just happen to be 3 bats that painfully stick out in my mind. Keeping 1 of them because his defensive skills are the best in baseball is fine, keeping 3 horrid bats in an everday lineup in the NL is a bit too much to take.

As for them not having enough to get it done, yeah I guess even in your sarcasm that is true. The Astros don't have enough to get it done as much as it pains me to type it. But I guess after 6 straight wins we can all get a little excited and hope beyond hope which I will until mathematically eliminated.

7. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

you have inspired me to become a mathematician!! and yeah.. pwned indeed!! good job!

8. Major

Major Member

Clearly? You think they were good enough to win two playoff series, but clearly could not win three?

Like 1998?

9. DaDakota

Boom goes the dynamite.

DD

10. AggieRocketFan96

On your 1st question--unfortunately that's what happened.

On your 2d question--sure, also like 99, 00, 01, 02, hell maybe even 03 and 04 possibly even 05.

11. Major

Major Member

Sure. But "can't win" is different from "didn't win".

12. Major

Major Member

Ummm, the point was that Lugo helped cost us a playoff series. Do you think our record was better those years because of Lugo?

Meanwhile, Everett's defense was instrumental in saving a game against the Cardinals that helped us make the World Series.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

All I know is Lugo's errors cost a playoff series, keeping the Astros playoff series won at a whopping ZERO. Everett on the other hand, has helped the team to consecutive NLCS appearances and a WS. I'll take defense over offense at short any day.

14. DaDakota

Everett looked great on that fricken throw that just cost us 2 runs to the Mets.....

He makes a LOT of bad throws, but our first basemen bail him out a lot.

DD

15. msn

msn Member

Not compared to other SS. SS make a lot of bang-bang plays and the throws tend to be all over the place. In fact, Everett's accuracy is much improved compared to when he first came up. But way to not mention it until you see his first error in 70+ games. You're gripping at straws on a failed argument.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I will not open threads that I know beforehand are going to make me bang my head on the wall, especially if we've already had the discussion.
    I will not open threads that I know beforehand are going to make me bang my head on the wall, especially if we've already had the discussion.

17. MadMax

yeah, you're right. he sucks defensively.

18. MadMax

yeah, that's all on everett. :rolleyes: lugo was just sooooo awesome that year, he carried us to a stellar record. WE ONE WON MORE GAME IN 2001 THAN 2004. I'm sure it was Lugo who pushed us over the top in that effort!

come on pgabs...you're way too smart to make a comment like that. it's baseball.

Lugo's playing RF now.

#118 MadMax, Sep 2, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're right, neither one of them matters, that's why its so silly for you guys to keep arguing that everett is so important to this team. if that team could win with lugo, why do you need everett.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because the team with Everett ended up doing better than the team with Lugo... despite the fact that the team with Lugo had a better lineup.