1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump wants to kill the F-35 and move forward with the Advanced Super Hornet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Dec 23, 2016.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Boeing has never stopped R/D with with the ASH -- it's ready to go -- should the F-35 be killed?

[Lots of photos at the link]
    _____

Boeing’s new tricked-out Advanced Super Hornet

You’re Boeing and you’re still making Super Hornet strike fighters, but the US market for new F/A-18 E and Fs and their EA-18G Growler cousins won’t last much longer. Those 600+ US Navy aircraft will be around for many years to come, however, and the export market is only beginning to be tapped. So how you do keep your tried-and-true aircraft on the cutting edge?

Boeing’s answer: a package of upgrades that can be bought together or separately, added on to existing aircraft or ordered in advance. Together, the package is known as the Advanced Super Hornet (ASH), a collection of system upgrades and add-ons intended to extend the Super Hornet’s performance envelope.

The company and its top sub-primes, including Northrop Grumman, General Electric and Raytheon, are still developing all the features, but Boeing modified an assembly-line two-seat F/A-18F this summer for flight tests of two of the most visible enhancements – conformal fuel tanks and a new enclosed weapons pod, both part of an effort to reduce the aircraft’s radar cross section, particularly when viewed from head-on.

A group of reporters, Defense News among them, were flown by Boeing at company expense out to St. Louis, Mo., late in August to witness a flight demonstration of the prototype aircraft. Also in attendance were representatives from Denmark and Brazil, two countries holding fighter competitions that Boeing would dearly love to win.

Neither the fuel tanks nor the weapons pod were operational, as the primary goal of these initial flight tests was to gauge the flight characteristics of the mods and to measure their signatures. Boeing flew the aircraft out of its facility at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, then out to the Navy’s test field at Patuxent River, Md., where, according to a Boeing official, “the Navy will own all the test data.”

All the ASH upgrades are being developed at company expense; the Navy, which has no requirement for the addons, is watching “with interest,” according to an official.

Specific prices have yet to be calculated for the ASH package, but Boeing officials estimate a full suite would run about $6 million to $8 million for a new aircraft, around $9 million for upgrades to an existing plane.

http://intercepts.defensenews.com/2013/09/boeings-new-tricked-out-advanced-super-hornet/

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Boeing has never stopped accepting subsidies. Sounds like something Trump could hold over their head.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

F/18 and F35 have different roles. F35 is a stealth fighter, ASH is not. The problem is the plan that can take some of the F35's stealth role is the F22...which is made by Lockheed Martin. Trump is an idiot. His miltary knowledge comes from movies.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

I can get on board with these types of actions by the Trump administration where he holds these companies more accountable for cost overruns and delays. The F-35 has been a boondoggle so far, which isn't to say it needs to be killed as it serves a different function due to its stealth than the F18 or A10.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One day we hear that Trump is surrounding himself with too many generals as advisers, the next day we hear that he's getting all of his military knowledge from movies. I guess whatever narrative works at the time.

Falcons Talon, Space Ghost and Dei like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Nobody really said that to my knowledge, people commented on the stupidity of his advisors...ergo Gen. Flynn

7. Dei

Dei Member

For all the people complaining about the F-35 being a stealth fighter and the ASH is not:

ASH will have electronic warfare. There's an argument that stealth is vastly overrated. Old WWII era radars can still presumably detect it and lower frequency systems are being developed to counter it. The US already has an EW plane in the E/A-18G Growler, also based on the Super Hornet.

Space Ghost likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The complaints really started once he announced General James Mattis as his Secretary of Defense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...3ebab6bcdd3_story.html?utm_term=.64a807518854

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-transition-generals-232148

Like I said, which is it? Is he surrounding himself by too much military, or is he getting his military information from movies?

There's plenty to bash Trump about legitimately, there's no reason to reach.

9. Buck Turgidson

Well, Mattis is also a wildcard crazy person so I don't see how complaints are a problem.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pointing out how the narrative is ignorant....or the narrative that Trump doesn't have enough military advisers is ignorant.

Also, Mattis is not a "wildcard crazy person", and if you truly think so, maybe you need to get some military advisers of your own and stop listening to so much "fake news".

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever narrative works at the time - sounds like Trump and a Trump supporter.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think you hit on a good point about stealth. Quite frankly, when half of the world has contributed to an aircraft, there is not much secrecy left for the rest of the world. There is no point in dumping billions towards a top end aircraft if it doesn't provide any significant superiority. Once you have air superiority, one does not need billion dollar aircraft to police the skies.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I would have agreed with you....$400 billion ago. Now when it's done, you want to deny this plane to our military and yet sell it overseas to other countries to recoup our $400 million? Or are you just sucking Trump's small "finger" because that's all you know how to do?

14. Space Ghost

Im not going to pretend I know the arrangements on the cost to our allies, but I serious doubt we are selling them for 400 million.

Regardless, we can still sell them to our allies and not waste our money building them for ourselves.

Just another weak attempt by Sweet Lou.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta admit, since I finally realized that he was nothing more than a simpleton with no redeeming qualities whatsoever and put him on ignore, it's made the D&D seem a lot more intelligent. Now sure, there are still plenty of people here I disagree with but it was a real step in the right direction. I'd recommend it to anyone.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We should take the best of the technology from the F-35 and use it to upgrade what is already the world's finest air superiority jet fighter, the F-22, reopen the production line, and reduce the number of F-35's we purchase to help pay for the new F-22. The F-35B is very important for the Marines and allies such as the U.K. and Italy, and the F-35C would be a useful addition to our carrier fleet, particularly after unmanned carrier capable and possibly stealthy tanker aircraft under development come on line to extend their range. I would reduce the buy of F-35A's for the Air Force and move those funds towards the new F-22 program, buying several hundred of them, develop a new long range strike aircraft for the Navy eventually, and instead of spending a fortune on a new future "6th generation" fighter, consider the upgraded F-22 that aircraft. I would make it a top priority. In my opinion, anyway.

17. Space Ghost

Why do we need more F22's ... or F35s? Im not opposed to military spending per say, but no point wasting it on aircraft sitting on the ground collecting dust.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yeah because we need more nukes instead right?

We already spent the money on the stupid f35. It's like building 95% of a first car and saying the r&d was too expensive you is time to stop. The cost actually actually goes down the more you make.

19. Space Ghost

That makes a lot of sense. Spend a hundred billion dollars to save a billion. #liberallogic

Your logic completely baffles me. You are against military spending but you want to build aircraft we dont need?

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What on earth are you talking about? Saying those jets are "aircraft sitting on the ground collecting dust" is absurd. Too few F-22's, a fighter potential adversaries greatly fear, were built, while the F-35, a fighter "designed" to replace several different aircraft, is still years from being deployed in significant numbers with the abilities it is supposed to have, and with a limited range to boot. The aircraft we use the most are being worn out and desperately need to be replaced. Meanwhile, China and Russia's oligarchies have been busy working on how to defeat us in a conflict while we pour untold billions into endless ground wars and poorly conceived defense programs. Our deterrence weakens while they grow stronger. Do you know anything at all about the subject, or am I just wasting my time?

No Worries likes this.