1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to impose tariff on steel and aluminium, geaux Trump!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

say, why aren't you guys watching the Hawks game?

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Methinks @Os Trigonum posts here are a desperate cry for help. An intervention might be in order to save him from further powerline and federalist spew.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I've sworn off the Federalist. I'm serious

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this is such a fun game to play:

Now a distinguished fellow in residence at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., Yellen left the Fed in 2018 after Trump did not nominate her for a second term. Trump has criticized her successor, Jerome Powell, for raising interest rates, and he's called the Fed a threat to the economy. Yellen said those comments "concern me, because if that becomes concerted, I think it does have the impact, especially if conditions in the U.S. for any reason were to deteriorate, it could undermine confidence in the Fed. And I think that that would be a bad thing."​

https://theweek.com/speedreads/825818/janet-yellen-doesnt-think-trump-firm-grasp-economic-policy

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK, and how does that help your argument? Are you question Yellen's qualifications? Powell's qualifications? Or are you suggesting bias when she questioned trump's grasp of macro economics?

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

tl;dr version: there's no argument. there's simply my emulating the model of politically correct, enlightened posters who dismiss sources based on some perceived bias in the source. No attempt to evaluate an argument on its merits, no attempt to scrutinize one's own values and biases and perhaps come to some new kind of understanding about anything. In other words, simply enjoying hearing the echoes in my politically correct echo chamber.

longer version: again emulating my politically correct Debate and Discussion exemplars, I simply assume that YES! OF COURSE SHE IS BIASED!!! because of self-evident piece of information included in the excerpted quote. OBVIOUSLY she is a disgruntled former employee!! of course she's out to get Trump because he didn't re-appoint her!!! clearly she's going to say he doesn't understand shitte about macroeconomics because she disagrees with her replacement's policies. How can you Rethuglican dotards not get that??

even longer version (well, not really). now putting aside my @NewRoxFan hat . . . Perhaps she does have a legitimate argument. Perhaps Trump lacks the most basic level of macroeconomic knowledge that he ought to have--indeed, that any President ought to have.

But you know what? we can't tell that from a single tweet. It could be that Trump lacks macroeconomic knowledge, but it could also be that Yellen is holding Trump to too high a standard. In the latter case perhaps NO President of either party could ever match Yellen's standard of what constitutes "adequate" economics knowledge for a President. But I can't tell what she means. And you know why I cannot tell? BECAUSE A MERE TWEET PROVIDES NO ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE OR BACKGROUND CONTEXT OR ANALYSIS UPON WHICH I CAN MAKE SUCH A JUDGMENT.

This incidentally is one of reasons posting long-form political essays is preferable to the incessant posting of mere tweets. But I digress . . . .

Perhaps in filling in some of the gaps in my knowledge I DO factor in the nonzero possibility that Yellen is disgruntled. Okay, I have no evidence, but it's a factor.

Also, my knowledge of Presidential history and politics help me to understand that NO President is ever expert in much of anything. That's why Presidents have ADVISORS . . . you know, to ADVISE them on matters that the advisor is in fact expert on. I doubt that Trump is an expert on military policy, that's why he has military advisors. I doubt he is an expert on education, or labor, or commerce, or environment, etc etc etc. That's why there are cabinet-level and sub-cabinet level ADVISORS on all these subjects.

You know, come to think of it the last President that I know of that had a Phd in economics was Jed Bartlet, Aaron Sorkin's liberal fantasy President from the West Wing. Perhaps Yellen thinks Trump should have Jed Bartlett liberal fantasy-level of knowledge!!

Getting back to the original point: it's easy to simply dismiss a source because of some perceived bias. If that's your game, keep playing it. What do I care? have at it. But just because you enjoy playing that game doesn't mean I have to play it, or respect it, or avoid making fun of it. Some of us are clearly playing checkers while you are playing chess.

D&D is serious business, I guess.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

People that post and start threads at the rate....they cant be a happy person on the inside.

8. dmoneybangbang

Right, but what hat is Yellon wearing?

All those words and all that time.... for what? You put a lot of time and energy into the D&D, so I’d say it’s serious business for you.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Oh my gosh, what did I trigger? Read this a few times, even ran it through a few google translators (I tried russian to english first, since the last overly wordy thing I read was by Dostoevsky). What I came away with was (1) you are upset that I questioned your blog sources, (2) you don't agree with Yellen that trump is a dolt, and (3)you think being a dolt is OK, since he has advisers (ignoring the fact he seems to ignore his advisers), and (4) you did this all to "own to lib".

Alrighty then...

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

another day another data point

11. Buck Turgidson

Really? Are there? We do know that the orange dumbass can't even be bothered to nominate or appoint people to numerous high level positions. We also know that he does not bother to read or really pay any attention to the briefing materials that your ADVISORS send to him.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Advisors are over rated.

“I alone can fix it”

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

At least NewRoxFan doesn’t hide behind “moderate dem”.

14. NewRoxFan

tariff man... so much winning, because "trade wars are good and easy to win"

Tariff-Man Trump to Preside Over $100 Billion Jump in Trade Gap
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lion-man-as-u-s-trade-gap-surges?srnd=premium

No Worries likes this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I bet a southern wall would help with the trade gap.

16. adoo

adoo Member

more specifically,

U.S. trade gap with China reaches all-time high under Trump

The trade gap rose to $419.2 billion in 2018, from the previous record of $375.5 billion in 2017,
    a Commerce Department report released Wednesday showed.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/06/us-china-trade-deficit-record-1242498

17. dmoneybangbang

Economics 101... a strong US economy usually makes the dollar stronger which makes imports cheaper.

The trade deficit is a stupid way to look at global trade. It’s a big number that’s easy to campaign on... if your base doesn’t know better.

pgabriel likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

What he said.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Trade deficits is one of many things Trump is stuck in the past about

dmoneybangbang likes this.