1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to impose tariff on steel and aluminium, geaux Trump!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2018.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Truly shocking. We effectively do not live in a democracy anymore if the legislative branch is just decorative.

adoo, JayGoogle, Amiga and 1 other person like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Russia was kicked out of the (then) G8 after illegally annexing Crimea. What has changed since then? Other, of course, Russia's embedding trump as president...

3. NewRoxFan

4. NewRoxFan

Interesting. I wonder if this was due to trump's hour-late departure this AM, or if trump or Macron pulled out for other reasons? Whatever the reason, not a good look...

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

It’s Trump we are talking about. What do you think?

6. NewRoxFan

trump, arrived late, leaves early... embarrassing diva act...

[​IMG]

7. NewRoxFan

It appears it is to duck the meeting with Macron that was rescheduled from this AM.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Where are his defenders?

Let me guess: salivating for an irrelevant report on the servers of irrelevant Hillary Clinton.

#wearesofreakingscrewed

Deckard likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I couldn't find a thread on Obama solar tariffs, but I did find one we had for EU solar tariffs in 2013. You started the thread and seemed well-disposed to the policy because it was protecting EU jobs for Chinese dumping. I weighed in to say the protectionism was unsurprising given the Chinese dumping, but I waffled on whether or not it was a good idea. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/eu-cheap-solar-energy-no-thanks.239436/#post-7995226

I'd say the key difference was that the EU policy (and the Obama tariffs) was targeted at China to retaliate and correct for dumping practices perpetrated by China. If Trump wants to target Chinese solar panels for tariffs because they're dumping, I'm okay with that. If its just a blanket tariff on solar panels that isn't punishing dumping or it is not targeted against particular bad actors, then I don't like it.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Clearly my stance was critical of the EU — jabbing at the hypocrisy in their rhetoric and policy at the time. I even opened up to the possibility that the US admin could do the same.

I was proven right.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

There is an upcoming meeting with North Korea. I guess he is maneuvering allies and healing praise so that denuclearization will happen (I don’t think it will, I think we need to wise up and bomb North Korea). So, if that means humoring Russia for two minutes and talking tough to our allies, then so be it.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure how talking tough to our allies helps the meeting with N. Korea. Your solution for dealing with N. Korea is laughable.

13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I couldn't be happier with Trump right now. He is making all the right moves.

I absolutely am loving the 'Trump floats scrapping all tariffs' thing. It's the same game plan that he has done and has worked over and over. Asking for the absolute most, aiming very high.. then settling for less then sought, but exactly what you wanted.

EU and China and all of them will never give up their tariffs on the U.S. But eventually they will lower them which is what this is all about.

#453 Realjad, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  14. WNBA

WNBA Member

EU and China, Mexico Japan just increased the tariffs to retaliate Trump's "right moves". no?

15. NewRoxFan

Scoop: Trump tells Macron the EU is "worse" than China
    https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-...vr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=organic

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, you are displaying shocking ignorance. Please consider expanding your sources of information. Thanks in advance.

17. NewRoxFan

As always with trump, the story always changes...

Trump Tweets That His 232 Tariffs Aren't Really About National Security
    https://www.weeklystandard.com/hale...-tariffs-arent-really-about-national-security

18. NewRoxFan

19. NewRoxFan

GOP scolds Trump team for feud with Canada
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/11/trump-canada-feud-republicans-637527

20. NewRoxFan

I bet you never thought you'd see this headline...

Canada parliament condemns U.S. attack on Trudeau, country simmers
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...tack-on-trudeau-country-simmers-idUSKBN1J72KZ