1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Signs Order to Restrict Refugees from 7 Countries But Not Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Jan 25, 2017.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You can't say you want to ban Muslims and then cobble together an executive to make it look legal and then expect not to get slapped down by the courts. If he merely would have said we need to ban immigration from nations that are exporting terrorism and particularly included Saudi Arabia then he not only would have gotten his ban he would have a lot of support from Democrats.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you're right for now. I thought you were supposed to rule on the actual wording of the order but lord knows I have been wrong before.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine that'll be part of the SCOTUS case. If the executive order is looked at by itself there's absolutely no basis for blocking it, so if they best excuse they can find to block it is unrelated things said during a presidential campaign I don't think that reasoning will stand up at the next level and sanity will be restored.

4. Major

Major Member

The court case isn't based on "unrelated things said during a presidential campaign". It seems like if you were going to criticize a ruling and claim to have some understanding of the law, you'd want to first know the very basic facts of the case.

the11mingdynasty and justtxyank like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

Intent does and always has mattered in the US legal system. If you want to ban black people from voting, for example, and find some reasonably legitimate sounding way to do it, it's not going to matter if there's evidence that your intent was to ban black people from voting. North Carolina, for example, has been repeatedly learning this over the last year or so.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

ISIS targets Christians, among other groups they consider to be infidels. They are motivated by both politics AND religion.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wrong.

Isis attacks us and has expressly stated they want us to invade Syria so they can fight the final battle between Islam and Christianity which they believe is prophesied to take place in some city. They are not waging some political war that we could solve with a political solution.

They find Christian arabs and they execute them. They kidnap wives and daughters, rape them and sell them into slavery and execute the men for being the wrong type of Muslim.

I'm no fan of trump but if you are pushing the idea that Isis is a political group motivated by political objectives you are just delusional.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What religion is the FBI?

FBI agent encourages shooter to "tear up Texas" and is in a car nearby as shooter executes the attack.
    http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/27/f...-behind-terrorists-and-failed-to-stop-attack/

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

not sure about that .people in most holy Islamic places are not safe from isis
    [​IMG]

11. justtxyank

I don't understand what this has to do with what I said?

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

they did not only target Christians exclusively ,they would hunt down anyone fall into their territory .A picture taken on March 2, 2017 shows Arabic writings on cell walls, written by prisoners held captive by ISIS group, reading: "All doors have been shut but yours, O God,with some Quran verses in an ISIS prison in the northern Syrian town of al-Bab.its almost identical to what you may find in their other detentions cells .Do ISIS want to have a holy war! well not exactly , they had the chance to fight American troops pre-2011

[​IMG]

13. justtxyank

I didn't mean to imply they only hunt Christians. They are a death cult. Didn't I say they killed people who didn't believe the right kind of Islam?

My point was that they aren't seeking a political end here...

Exiled likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The one that starts with "we the people" in 1789? Well, we know who were the people in 1789 so yes. One people, one nation above all, except the Judeo-Christian Lord.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Remember the time when people tried to soften this to get it acceptable by saying... "no, its not a travel BAN, its "extreme vetting"? That lie = *poof*

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trumpy the Clown went with "extreme vetting" to try and finesse it through the courts. Sounds to me like he's given up hope on than happening and has just gone back to his "talk like a tough guy" default mode. This signals to me that he's given up on the travel ban and is more interested in saving face via tough guy posturing.

Either that, or Bannon forgot to slip the Abilify in his corn flakes this morning.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

Seems odd Trump would think the London attack would so strengthen his original attempt at a Muslim ban that he would return to that... especially in light that the USSC is still making their decision. Here's a great opportunity to gauge the new court... especially with Trump's latest tweets, you'd think their decision just got easier. Maybe Trump got a preview of the USSC decision and decided it was OK to be honest with his true intentions.

18. NewRoxFan

Is this *that* George Conway? The same George Conway that took himself out of running for the Trump Justice Department Civil Division? If this is the same person, I am guessing there will be interesting conversation at the Conway residence tonight...

UPDATE: CNN confirmed it was Kellyanne's husbands tweet. LOL!

#538 NewRoxFan, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How many of these seven countries do not have blasphemy or apostasy laws?

What could any American ever get out of immigrating to any of these terrible places?

20. NewRoxFan

LOL... state of Washington's Attorney General trolls Trump...