1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump sides with Dems on Debt Ceiling Deal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Saw a bunch of punditry on this in the media, but not much here.

I guess given that nobody seriously contemplates that the government would default on its debts, a 3-month extension vs a longer one is just about the leverage to negotiate something or another in the future-- important for the congressional legislative game theory, but no immediate impact on real life (other than, of course, $8 billion for hurricane aid, but that was also most likely gonna pass anyway).

Right now, the speculation is that if "Chuck and Nancy" can get Trump to side with them (over "Mitch and Paul") on this, might a similar dynamic play out in the future. Seems like the GOP now has at least 3 factions: the "establishment" led by Mitch and Paul, the Die Hard Conservatives, and whatever Trump represents.

My guess: This got done partly because it isn't something that Trump cares about and something that Trump thinks his base cares about. He really doesn't give a **** about pissing off congressional GOP on legislative leverage (probably should, given that he likely cares about some of these upcoming legislative issues, but he doesn't have enough attention span to think a few months ahead).

Anyway, this is kind of egg on the face of Mitch and Paul according to some, at least.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If Trump starts working regularly with Democrats and moderate Republicans, his chance of getting impeached go way down.

We will see.

3. Carl Herrera

Trump being a toddler, I am guessing whether he does this in the future depends on what kind of reward/punishment he got for this deal in terms of media attention.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This to me is insane. He's sabotoging tax reform by only signing a 3 month deal. This has to get litigated again in December as a result and you know that next time, the Dems will want DACA/Dream Act attached (which Trump will probably go along with) and will play chicken to avoid any tax reform.

Plus, we're still funding the government on continuing resolutions which means Obama's discretionary appropriations are still the law of the land. Until the GOP can pass independent approprations, the Dems will keep punting 3 months at a time to extract concessions each time and to stonewall any real legislation.

The opitcs of blowing up the deficit with tax cuts and then voting to raise the debt ceiling in order to fund said tax cuts will look horribly for Republicans. I'd be pretty upset if I were the Republican leadership.

Oh and while we weren't watching, Trump is busy in North Dakota shmoozing with Heidi Heitkamp and giving her great soundbites for ads in 2018. Publicly stating compliments to her in a state where Trump won over 60% of the vote must drive the Republican leadership nuts.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The GOP establishment could turn against Trump if he starts working with Dems which would suddenly mean that these Russia investigations are suddenly not 'witch hunts' anymore and it's time to talk about impeachment.

6. Carl Herrera

Will the GOP voters side with Trump or the Establishment if this happens?

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This might be on those situations where the "Trump Strategy" is probably not a mastermind strategy but just him being an impulsive weirdo.

I think its just as likely that Trump just didn't want to be in that meeting any longer and the fact that the Dems had a ready to sign document in his hand led him to think in the moment

"Boy.... I'm starving.... WTF is Mitch saying... he looks like turtle... I bet I'm the first person that thought of that one.... Meatloaf.... it still counts as a WIN right??... F-it, I'll sign it, and spin this decision later".

CometsWin likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

He's just so easy to manipulate. I'm glad Dems are finally taking advantage. They can't really prevent him from being a moron or making bad executive decisions, but they can win a ton of policy battles by getting him good media coverage out of it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/07/trump-calls-nancy-pelosi-chuck-schumer-news-coverage-242441

Upbeat Trump raves to Schumer, Pelosi about news coverage of their deal

Many Republicans were furious with President Donald Trump's budget deal Wednesday, stunned that the president quickly gave in to Democratic demands to pair hurricane relief with a three-month debt limit hike — though getting nothing in return.

But in calls with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi Thursday morning, Trump raved about the positive news coverage it had received, according to people familiar with the calls, and he seemed very pleased with his decision.

Trump specifically mentioned TV segments praising the deal and indicated he'd been watching in a call with Schumer, two people said. And he was jovial in a call with Pelosi and agreed to send a tweet she asked for about the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, these people said, while also mentioning the attention the deal had gotten. He indicated to both leaders he would be willing to work together again.

"He seemed super upbeat," one person familiar with the calls said.

Another person familiar with the calls said Trump told Pelosi her coverage was even better than his. “The press has been incredible,” Trump said.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Snicker.

Nook likes this.
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

President Yo Yo doing work.

11. prohibido

prohibido Member

What I think I love most about all of this is the crowd that savaged Obama for not working in a bipartisan manner with congress are now howling like starving infants because Trump is, as far as they are concerned, doing just that.

The hypocrisy and shamelessness of the right wing nutcase literally know no bounds.

Yes, in terms of pragmatic political maneuvering the Democrats should, without too much trouble, have this dumbass over a barrel in short order. Yeah, DJ, I got your wall right here.

But, of course, the Democrats are the deft and nimble political strategists that lost to Donald FG Trump in the first place, so my confidence level that they'll be able to exploit this opening is not stratospheric.

Nook, CometsWin, Major and 1 other person like this.
  12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Deckard likes this.
  13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Trumps chances of getting impeached are dependent on him doing something wrong. Impeachment is not a popularity contest or wishful thinking.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The wishful thinking is you thinking that Trump has not done something wrong. Obstruction of Justice. Look it up. It is a thing.

Trumps gets impeached if the Congressional Republicans think that they will be swept out of office due to Trump's unpopularity ... but only if the Democrats go along.

Deckard likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh..

Question. If Trump was the same man who has done the same deeds(obstruction of justice, allegations of collusions with a trail of lies regarding meetings, gross incompetence) but instead he ran as a Democrat, would the GOP establishment be already be in the impeachment process in Congress?

More importantly, would YOU be in favor and cheering them along?

Probably, hence why it's so difficult to take your posts seriously.

CometsWin likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The Dems should co-op this amateur chump and have him enact their agenda. He's so desparate for legislation to sign they should fleece the fool.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What fascinates me about this stunning flip flop from trump, taking a 5am dump on Ryan and Turtle Guy in the afternoon, is that we saw an example of how Texas House Speaker Strauss keeps his job. He has deftly worked with moderate Republicans (there are still some in the Texas House, as hard as that is to believe) and Democrats to retain his Speakership. Ryan may be going nuts because my understanding of the rules Ryan has to play by doesn't allow him to do essentially the same thing.

Unlike the way Strauss operates, the vote that passed the hurricane money and the 3 month debt ceiling deal was a knife in Ryan's back, not something done to get legislation passed that needed passing. The Senate? Same knife in Turtle Guy. I would be enjoying this melodrama if the nation wasn't under assault by both Mother Nature and Vladimir Putin.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Again, did I not specifically state if he did something wrong? Why is reading comprehension so difficult for you? Where did I ever state he did or did not do anything wrong? All I stated was your wishful thinking in working with the democrats will reduce his chances.

And for the record, I will be happy if he gets impeached at this point. Its just ****ed up mentality to say "work with my team and we wont impeach you".

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If this helps future relations with the dems then it is a good thing.

No Worries likes this.