1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump saving more American jobs - OPEC reaches deal on production cut

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Ok, this one probably isn't Trump but I couldn't help myself - I had to join in on the dog pile. Whether any jobs are "saved" or "brought back" I think is relevant to the discussion about supply and demand (i.e. greater labor supply leads to lower cost of labor) which a lot of CF members seem to dismiss as unimportant (even though it forms the foundation of modern economic thinking).

2. Buck Turgidson

Your knowledge of global energy markets rivals your knowledge of global climate modeling.

But yes, this is overdue (as is an interest rate bump) and is of course good for Texas.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Higher energy prices might save some jobs in Houston but will be a net negative for the country as a whole.

Nook likes this.
  4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

The fact is, the country has had nothing but good news since Trump was elected

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cutting production will raise prices - so our gasoline prices for the average american will go up.

Hooray!

This is bad news for what needs to happen, we get alternative energy and get off the Middle East nipples....and stand on our own energy wise.

DD

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Higher gas prices? Yes!

(It's gonna help Exxon, and then their employee is gonna get money, and then he'll spend that money in a convenience store, and then the convenience store owner will contribute that money to his kid's education, and then I will get a tiny fraction of that kid's tuition money, and then I will contribute that tiny fraction to pay for the higher gas prices, and then some OPEC dudes will get my money to use for some good ideas. Yes!)

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What will the Gas Prices be in November 20, 2017?

Rocket River

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People that have already lost their jobs in O&G are still gonna be out of luck. Will stop the hemorrhaging for people in industry that were on the borderline though.

I'm hearing $55 is the magic number for break even.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You're smarter than this.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the way to help energy jobs is to remove cost of production increases caused by government

EPA/Interior/BLM are going to be Trump's most important domestic hires. They can wreak absolute havoc on the economy with very little checks and balances on them.

Nook likes this.
  11. DaDakota

We need to be funding companies that are alternative energy in impoverished areas, where Coal Mines shut down, put in a Solar panel factory for instance.

I swear all these Greedy ****ing wall street asses like trump and our sell out politicians are gonna blow this country to hell with their greed and stupidity, I already miss Obama and his even handed leadership.

DD

12. dmoneybangbang

How so? US shale caused a supply glut under Obama and his "job killing" regulations. Technology removed a lot of the production cost.

Natural gas and renewables have been leading the way for installed electricity capacity.

13. dmoneybangbang

Like in most industries, after a severe downturn, they have gotten better at using less to achieve better results. US shale producers have used technology to disrupt the o&g industry and now can respond much better to market forces. For example, they are able to respond quickly to OPEC cutting production by drilling at much faster rates.

da_juice and RedRedemption like this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

If those companies are viable, they can raise their own capital.

Don't put taxpayers on the hook.

Had enough of Obama playing amateur venture capitalist with my money during the Solyndra fiasco.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Yes, I'm sure that fiasco just devastated you. I really don't get how anyone can claim w a straight face that over-regulation stymied the energy industry during Obama's administration when we just went through the greatest production renaissance in modern history.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Every Trumpanzee knows that higher gas prices are great news for the American economy. o_O

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The country experienced job growth with oil prices higher than $90 per barrel. I think it is a real stretch to call higher oil prices a "net negative" for the country as a whole.

18. DaDakota

This is a very narrow minded and country failing proposition by you.

The government SHOULD be driving innovation for it's own GOOD as a country - they should be looking out for it's populace - that is what government SHOULD be doing.

Instead of lining the pockets of the rich - how do you think all those roads and bridges got built? GOVT programs.

I am not saying they should be IN the business, but they should be doing things like giving TAX free zones for 20 years in impoverished areas.....things like that. Or, instead of bailing out BANKS and car manufacturers, why not invest in solar, wind, things that would help our country shy away from the middle east oil barons and get off their t***.....let them eat sand.

DD

Junebball likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Because Ayn Rand

20. Buck Turgidson

The country as a whole needs to get reacquainted with normal/average oil prices.