1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump retreats to underground bunker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, May 31, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I also read about the massive amount of farm lands stolen from former slaves. That was their ticket to owning some capital and they lost it to racist opportunists.

#221 fchowd0311, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, so much has been done to keep black people down

slavery ended, but u still have to deal with segregation, Jim Crow, voter suppression, and so many other things along with the continued belief that black people are 2nd class citizens

I had no idea about Black Wall Street until a few years ago...such a tragic tale of racism and injustice, but they don’t mention it at schools

Kaepernick peacefully takes a knee...u don’t like that

people march and protest in the streets...u don’t want to listen

well now you’re seeing that people are fed up

America was built on violence

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I fully recognize that America was built on violence. Most nations actually have been.

I still don't agree or find it a legitimate argument to say that because of what has happened to black Americans for centuries that justifies or rationalizes the destruction from when these protests spin out of control into the looting and burning and that we've seen. Trevor Noah talked about a social contract between the US and black Americans and that contract is broken so violence is understandable. The problem I see with that argument though is what about the social contract between immigrant groups like the Koreans in LA during Rodney King and the Somalis now? Those were groups that have disproportionately born the brunt of the damage from these riots. These groups are essentially the ones suffering for a contract that they weren't a party too.

Also I'm going to note that the tone and the attitude of the protesters has markedly changed since just a few days ago. We see protesters sometimes forcefully stop people in the protest from looting or burning. We heard George Floyd's younger brother beautifully state that violence isn't helpful or accomplishing what needs to be accomplished. If riot is the language of the unheard many are now realizing that what that language is saying isn't that useful.

joshuaao, JumpMan and RayRay10 like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What would you say to the black business owners who have lost their businesses in this situation?

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

What a real leader says:[​IMG]

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've been over this but there is a difference between justification and understanding that riots are naturally a part of human nature given certain conditions.

Rioting is wrong. An do hope when the dust settles we can accurately find of any bad faith actors were involved in instigating some of these riots. People need to be prosecuted for this.

Blatz likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s unfortunate what has happened to these businesses, but I also look at what is causing many of these people to feel this angry...I wish there was no rioting or looting, but something has happened for us to get to this current situation

Protests, riots, and looting don’t just randomly happen. From the United States to Hong Kong, there is always an underlying reason. What is causing it, and what can we do to fix it so it doesn’t happen in the future. I do not condone rioting and looting, but history has shown that it is an outcome that occurs when an oppressed group has had enough.

Ziggy and RayRay10 like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

most of these protests have been peaceful...I wish there wasn’t any rioting or looting, but unfortunately, it’s what we see once anger has reached a boiling point...there are of course many who are just looking to take advantage of the situation and create chaos and mayhem which is despicable

I wish Kaepernick wasn’t vilified just for peacefully taking a knee...have his career ruined and have people purposefully misconstrue his message

I wish we still weren’t having to go out there and march and protest due to injustice

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Go rewatch the first Rambo again to feel the deep meaning of my reply.

12. NewRoxFan

Was wondering if/when more military leaders speak out... General Raymond A. Thomas III currently serves as the 11th Commander of U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) headquartered at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. Prior to assuming command of USSOCOM, Gen. Thomas served as Commander, Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC), Fort Bragg, N.C.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

15. NewRoxFan

Congress needs to act... in a strong bipartisan way...

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thank you Mr. President

RayRay10 and NewRoxFan like this.
  17. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

I'm conservative and I could pull out a BS Speech pandering to get votes. That's all that is, same thing people her complain about Trump doing to his base. See Joe a few years ago.

B@ffled likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Oh yeah I remember that it was just a few 27 years ago I got a fax of it

Nook, superfob, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I know that in HK while there was a lot of rioting including property damage that was targeted at LE and at what were considered tools of the state. There was some looting of private businesses but relatively small compared to the how large the protests were. When I went to HK a few weeks after the worse of the rioting all of the major shopping districts in HK were open and doing business after months of protest. After three days of protests Lake Street in Minneapolis was trashed.

In the last few days I've seen protesters speak out and stop people in the protests from looting or burning both here in Minneapolis but at other protests. I don't buy that in 2020 these things are inevitable.

RayRay10 likes this.