1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump on waterboarding: 'We have to fight fire with fire'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To those who voted for Trump: Thanks for nothing.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/25/politics/donald-trump-waterboarding-torture/index.html?adkey=bn

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said he wants to "fight fire with fire" when it comes to stopping terrorism, suggesting that he could be open to bringing back torture because he "absolutely" believes it works.

By reinstating enhanced interrogation, Trump would violate a US law ratified by the Senate in 2015 and go against the view of Defense Secretary James Mattis. CIA Director Mike Pompeo told senators earlier this month that he wouldn't sanction the use of torture, though he later said he would consider bringing back waterboarding and other enhanced interrogation measures under certain circumstances.

In an interview with ABC News, Trump said "people at the highest level of intelligence" have told him that torture does work, something military experts have refuted. He went on to say, however, that he will listen to what his Cabinet secretaries have to say about the issue.

"When ISIS is doing things that no one has ever heard of, since medieval times, would I feel strongly about waterboarding?" Trump said. "As far as I'm concerned, we have to fight fire with fire."

Trump's argument was that ISIS is beheading people and posting the videos online, but that the United States is "not allowed to do anything."

"We're not playing on an even field," Trump said. "I want to do everything within the bounds of what you're allowed to do legally. But do I feel it works? Absolutely, I feel it works."

Democrats and Republicans alike have shot down the idea of bringing back torture methods that were used by the Bush administration after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

Pompeo said earlier this month that he would "absolutely not" restart the CIA's use of enhanced interrogation tactics that fall outside of Army Field Manuals.

"Moreover, I can't imagine I would be asked that by the President-elect," Pompeo said during his confirmation hearing.

But in a series of written responses to questions from members of the Senate intelligence committee, Pompeo later said that while current permitted interrogation techniques are limited to those contained in the Army Field Manual, he was open to making changes to that policy.
    The Senate voted overwhelming to ban torture across the US government in 2015, codifying a ban President Barack Obama issued by executive order shortly after he was sworn in in 2009. Obama then signed the updated defense authorization bill into law.

Sen. John Thune, a South Dakota Republican, said the use of torture is "settled law" and that "Congress has spoken."

The Senate intelligence committee produced a nearly 7,000-page classified report on torture, detention and interrogation after the George W. Bush administration brought back the practice. The authors of the report found the practice was ineffective and did not produce actionable intelligence.

"Reconstituting this appalling program would compromise our values, our morals and our standing as a world leader -- this cannot happen," Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat, said in a statement on Wednesday. "We can't base national security policies on what works on television -- policies must be grounded in reality."

2. Anticope

Anticope Member

Yeah but Hillary's emails.

3. TheresTheDagger

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever actually do the waterboarding if I were an agent of the CIA or a member of the military. Not because I have issue with doing the act to the filth that is ISIS....but because those that did the waterboarding before were concerned they would be prosecuted for it.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I remember Trump saying he was impressed with a general that he spoke to (maddog, his SoD) and was impressed by his answer on torture - that it doesn't work. Seems that impression didn't hold for too long.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The pathway to impeachment. Do it, Donald!

adoo likes this.
  6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

"We're not playing on an even field," says the guy who commands the greatest military the world has ever seen.

If only we could chop their heads off, drown them, put them in cages and set them on fire, and have toddlers shoot them in their heads, that would surely turn things around.

DudeWah and JuanValdez like this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

fight terrorism with terrorism (or the thought of it) could be a useful deterrent

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Already been disproven.

9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Thanks you. Finally someone with balls. If you leave the country in hands of libs isis would overrun this place within a year.

10. ipaman

not with trump at the helm. dude is a massive wildcard and one reason I think it will be awhile before we have another terror attack. no one knows what his reaction will be so they'll wait it out.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is there anything Trump can say that you won't think is the greatest thing in the world?

joshuaao and Amiga like this.
  12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Terrorists want the president to overreact.

joshuaao and RocketWalta like this.
  13. ipaman

oh please, i've said plenty. but like all trump haters you cherrypick because you want to be right instead of fair. you don't deserve the reply but i hate is net neutrality position, i hate the idea of a real wall because while symbolic it won't be singularly effective, and I'm waiting on his scotus nominee because i don't want a christian conservative scotus. again, you don't deserve a serious reply but there you have it.

14. ipaman

maybe. some for sure, others not. i'm sure some think it might not be worth it because it could get ugly so they'll be patient.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll listen to John McCain, somebody tortured to within an inch of his life, when it comes to effectiveness of torture instead of a rich daddy's boy who avoided all possible military service and/or keyboard warriors.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

They literally want an apocalyptic war in the Middle East. This is the number one goal of ISIS.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thank you on the serious reply I don't deserve, but like most of the board I have to call bs. Okay, you have some quibble about the efficacy of a wall. But for every morally reprehensible thing he has to say, there you are espousing the merits or crowing over the victory. I shudder to think what he'd have to do to offend you.

joshuaao, Deckard and DudeWah like this.
  18. ipaman

i don't buy it. it's their stated goal but they only use that idea for sales and marketing and control. leadership does not want to be exterminated or lose power and leadership knows this. but they have to create the illusion that they do. and by the way isis, isn't the only group to use this. the heaven/hell concept is exactly the same. mostly for sales and marketing and control.

19. ipaman

damn son..., are you hard headed? you don't have to think, I've told you! net neutrality, real wall, scotus nominee, christian right. don't be like the dems. instead, listen you fool because the people(me) are answering you!

JuanValdez likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

As well as did this Senate report examining CIA torture techniques:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ci...nterrogation-tactics-were-ineffective-n264621

As does this study:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-work-says-science-why-are-we-still-doing-it/