1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump, on the verge of more humiliating defeats in Washington, advocates for a government shutdown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, May 2, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/polit...hutdown-tweet0143PMVODtopLink&linkId=37102386

In 100 days of presidency Trump has suffered humiliating defeat after defeat, whether it was on the immigration order or healthcare reform (which is about to fail again for the 3rd time). Now the failure is waving the white flag by hoping for a shutdown, basically turning his back on the people who voted for him.

Hakeemtheking and Rashmon like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's disturbing he doesn't understand what a shutdown means for the tens of thousands of federal workers and the actual cost to the taxpayers (last one cost $24 billion). It's disturbing that he is so scared of negotiating with the Democrats that he wants the rules changed.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You guys should really have one thread for your Trump b****ing.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Go ahead and shut it down. It won't be the Democrats who get the blame for that one.

Impossible. Trump is more than just a president. He's a cultural phenomenon. What was the last cocktail party you went to where the conversation did not turn at some point to Donald Trump? I'm betting it was in 2015. It's reminiscent of Yaomania and Linsanity. People can't not talk about him.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Even republican senators think that idea is cray cray...

GOP senators reject Trump's call to end the filibuster
    ell, except one fellow cray cray republican senator:
    Its funny to even look at Senator hatch's expression on the topic:
    [​IMG]

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/02/trump-tweet-government-shutdown-237870

6. NewRoxFan

... and here is whiny WH Budget Director Mulvaney complaining that those nasty Democrats are spiking the football and making Trump "look bad"...

U.S. government shutdown possible if Democrats don't act better: Mulvaney
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-budget-mulvaney-idUSKBN17Y27V?il=0

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"We control the Legislative and Executive branches, but it's the minority party who's messing all of this up! Not the Freedom Caucus at all!"

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Why is landslide man afraid of a little pebble?

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Remember how much Democrats b****ed that the Republicans were obstructionist and the party of no? Turns out the opposition party opposes what the majority party tries to do, to everyone's surprise I'm sure. If you don't have the votes to pass stuff, either negotiate a compromise or move on to the next thing. Gridlock is a feature of the system, not a bug. It stops things from getting done that do not have broad based support.

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You do realize that the Democrats have had exactly one filibuster so far, right?

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/vote_menu_115_1.htm

Do you also realize that the GOP controlled Senate under Obama not just broke, but shattered the record for filibusters?

Your false equivalence is false.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

False equivalence, the favorite tool of conservatives.

13. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i mean... he's a world class a**hole in a million ways... and no i don't condone much, if any, of trumps behavior.

but i HATE THE SYSTEM SO BAD i don't care.

14. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

They haven't needed to filibuster. Simply voting no has accomplished the same thing. Why would they filibuster something that doesn't have the support to pass? How many Democrats voted to support Trump's Health Care bill?

The one thing they filibustered was also the confirmation of a Supreme Court Justice. Weren't the Democrats the one's saying to give Obama's nominee an up or down vote? I guess that only applied to Obama nominees to the Supreme Court, eh?

Regardless, I was supporting the right of the Democrats, as the opposition party, to oppose the Republicans. They can filibuster all they want, and should use all the tools at their disposal to block things they do not agree with.

15. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

That's an issue within the REP party. The reason they can't get the Rep Health Bill to pass is because the health care bill was too extreme for the moderate within the REP party. Now if it's too extreme for member of the REP party, why would you expect any yes vote from the DEM members?

If the REP can get their act together and actually have a passable bill, then you can have a comparison. As of now, you simply got nothing to compare. The failure within the REP party doesn't equate to a DEM party of doing the "party of no" strategy. It may very well turn out that way down the road (thought I have my doubt - see what DEM leaders have been saying about infrastructure and even recently about health care), but to now say the DEM is doing the same as the "party of no" is inaccurate.

p.s. REP and DEM did pass the Russian sanction bill

16. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

I wouldn't. In fact, I pretty clearly posted that I fully support the opposition party opposing the party in power's agenda using all the tools at their disposal.
    Voting 100% against the legislation backed by the president of the opposing party is being a party of no. That is exactly what the Republicans did on the PPACA. Like the Democratic majority congress under Obama, they will be able to pass many bills with bipartisan support. It will be the signature legislation of the President that gets 100% opposition, possible filibusters if necessary, etc.
    Iran sanctions passed 99-0 in the Senate in 2009.

17. NewRoxFan

Anti-business Trump govt shutdown threat gets called out by US Chamber of Commerce...

Chamber of Commerce executive calls out Trump over government shutdown threat
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...rce-policy-executive-criticizes-trumps-threat

18. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Yes, you stated your support for "party of no" and that isn't relevant to support your claim.

You are going to stick to the current DEM party as equal to the REP "party of no" under the previous administration based only on votes of a single bill? Really? Using that criteria, then we probably have equivalent "party of no" for a very long time, which would be a ridiculous claim.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

So we went from "We're gonna build a wall and have Mexico pay for it!"

to

"Taxpayers are going to give me a wall or I'm going to shut down the government!"

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

At some point, people are going to realize that Trump is the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Two Scoops spews marketing happy talk and should not be taken seriously. The ever incompetent MSM will be the last to realize this.

B-Bob likes this.