1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: Media is the enemy of the American people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anticope, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

My issue with Acosta is the blatant grandstanding, baiting, talking over other reporters, etc. It's a big waste of time. Trump calling everything he dislikes fake news is a problem. Trump calling a spade a spade isn't.

BigDog63 and jcf like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well I don't want to pick on certain ones, I just responded to the ones you posted. That said, I looked at some of the other ones.

First, clearly Acosta has an agenda. And is grandstanding on his own a bit.

Second, the clips provided aren't that helpful. In one Mr. Saavedra writes: "9. December 11, 2017, Acosta repeatedly interrupts Sarah Sanders and prevents other reporters from having an opportunity to talk and ask questions." then goes on to post a clip where it is Sarah Sanders, not Acosta, preventing another reporter from talking. In another he writes: "6. July 13, 2018, Trump smacks Acosta at a press conference in the U.K., says: "CNN is fake news. I don't take questions from CNN. CNN is fake news! I don't take questions from CNN. John Roberts of Fox. Let's go to a real network." The clip then goes on to show just that... but the thread is about "Here's a thread on the ridiculous behavior from CNN's Jim Acosta:". Acosta doesn't even speak in this clip, it's just Trump doing the opposite, lol.

There's a huge disconnect, imo, between what is happening, and what people say is happening. In the sense that you can just watch some of these videos and see that indeed both sides are at fault.

Moreover, I don't think people are painting Acosta as a sacrificial lamb, or CNN (or Trump for sure) as a victim, generally.

But where they are it's on the basis of a few common sense things, like:
    - the WH is running ACTUAL FAKE, DOCTORED video to make Acosta look aggressive and physical. This isn't fake news, its just LYING. And while it won't go that far, it's scary in the sense that it can be viewed as the government falsifying evidence in an effort to wrongfully accuse someone of something, that something possibly being a crime, and the result of that being a revocation of rights. That should frighten everyone. This video thing is a way bigger deal than the incident itself.
    - the press as a whole being a victim
    - levels of decorum. i personally think Acosta takes it to far, often, which does make it disrespectful in cases. However, I have yet to hear him call Trump a rude, terrible person. Why is ok for Trump to stoop to that low level? Can you imagine the backlash if Acosta had said the same thing to Trump

#882 JayZ750, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Nook, Genesis, FranchiseBlade and 2 others like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Have you never seen a White House press conference before Trump?

Most journalists, especially more established ones who believe they have a longer leash push on follow up questions. Every president had to deal with it. Trump delt with it the most childishly.

And let's be clear here if you think Trump was calling a "spade a spade" .

Trump doesn't like Acosta not because of his "grandstanding" or insisting on follow up questions like hundreds of journalists before him. Trump doesn't like Acosta because he asks uncomfortable questions.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Yes, so much so that I know that everyone in that room is one of the top reporters for their respective outlet. If Trump is so authoritarian and so hateful of the press, then why hasn't he kicked out basically everyone? Basically every print, digital, and TV news reporter in that room can ask uncomfortable questions, and they do. Their standing is fine. Acosta is a hack. If you're mad about Trump's general attacks on the press, I understand. If you're crying for Acosta, I don't get it.

jcf likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You haven't provided a single amount of evidence that Acosta is a "hack" other than him insisting on follow up questions. What about in terms of questions actually asked? His reporting etc?

Trump fortunately is the President of a nation where its institutions are stronger than any one individual human. Trump won't blatantly **** down all press coverage of him. That won't work in America. That is too blatantly obvious. No, he instead claims any negative coverage of him comes from "the evemy of the people" which brainwashes a large contingent of this country to accept his authoritarian tendencies.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny thing, trump has issues with other reporters, not just Acosta. At same press conference he had problems with NBC's Peter Alexander and Yamiche Alcinder (calling her question "racist"). In the past he had issues with April Ryan on numerous occasions, including telling her to sit down at the same press conference. He told another reporter to sit down, even though the reporter was seated. Months ago he banned CNN's Kaitlin Collins from an open press event in the Rose Garden.

This isn't just Jim Acosta. Its trump's war on the press.

superfob and foh like this.
  7. jcf

jcf Member

I may be watching wrong clip, but I looked at the "side by side" comparison, and couldn't follow the doctoring. I read the commentary re: changing the sequence of who touched what first, but couldn't follow the video. I'm not asserting that it didn't happen, and I feel like an idiot, but I'm not tracking the doctoring. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. foh

foh Member

1. None of the esteemed people in WHCA pool suggested that Trump was justified to revoke the Acosta's access from what I have seen. That goes to tell you that whatever your problem with Acosta is doesn't justify the White House's response. I also haven't seen any insults towards Acosta actually justifying why he is a "hack", a "disgrace","enemy of the people", etc. It's all just partial Trump apologism on display.
    2. You are suggesting that the president is impartial and calls spade a spade. There is a myriad of instances of Trump making such outrageous claims that people literally can't help but laugh at his face. Inauguration crowd size and UN speech come to mind. Trump is anything but impartial or objective. Maybe point me to the last time he actually explained in detail why he thinks something is "fake news" - I'll be happy to reconsider my opinion of him.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay. I hope it's not doctored. It's amazing the fake stuff they've already done, photographically (and amateurishly).

10. jcf

jcf Member

I really have no idea. My son says it was obviously doctored. Only reason I ask is that I can't see it. That may be more a factor of my decreasing eyesight or slowing snap. Wasn't gigging you B-bob. Genuinely curious/frustrated/concerned that I can't make it out.

11. jcf

jcf Member

Ok. Accidentally quoting you 3 times wasn't a good look either. Geez.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. B-Bob

Totally fine. I needed a little giggle. It's been a long ass day. I could tell you weren't gigging me, FWIW.

jcf likes this.
  13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's not what he does, and it isn't why Trump doesn't like him. He asks rhetorical questions, which are designed to generate a specific response or sentiment regardless of what Trumps answer is (have you stopped beating your wife? type questions). Basically, he is grandstanding, and intentionally trying to make Trump look bad. If you ask him an honest question and he looks bad, fine...and I think even Trump might agree with that. But if you're up there thinking it is your job to put an agenda out there....why should the POTUS tolerate that?

14. B-Bob

I think two things there: you make a fair point about rhetorical questions from reporters -- I don't think it's professional. Very Geraldo actually. But then you're not looking honestly at Two Scoops. Acosta aside, dude does not like hard questions, and he labels any fact that doesn't look good as "fake." Wants only praise from media.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

It isn't brainwashing. Many of us have seen and been angered at the bias in the press for....decades. Long before Trump. Trump had nothing to do with it. All he's done is recognize it, and the sentiment about it, and try to do something about it. If there is one thing I am fully supportive of about Trump, it is this. Bias like that in the media is terrible for our country. The media is supposed to be who keeps the government honest...not who creates their own biases and runs with them. That hasn't been the case in a long long time. The 70's? Walter Kronkite era?

FWIW, it doesn't blind me to things he does that should be discussed critically. The MSM does do that, too. But when you spend 95% of your time crying wolf, the couple times you're actually right get drowned out by the others. And when they NEVER talk about anything good he's done...there's no reason I should believe them at all when they become critical.

That aside, Jon Stewart's take was, as usual, pretty spot on. The press is offended that Trump won the election, and is even more offended when he calls them out on their bias. They take that personally, and react in kind. But it is a war, as Stewart says, the media isn't going to win. The more they react, the worse they look. Which he points out, and they react again, and so on.

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

Since we both agree it is a rhetorical question, why don’t we ask you the same question since the answer is so obvious to everyone. Why did Trump call the caravan an invasion?

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

For political purposes. Although a good politician could craft a much better answer.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Acosta has every right to ask questions and given that Trump is not answering his questions honestly but deflecting, ask rhetorical questions.

When a president personally attacks members of the press and calls the press the enemy of the American people, the press is going to attack him. Regardless of where you want to lay the blame, TRUMP is the LEADER, not the press. It's is TRUMP's job to guard American democracy and the institutions that make it strong.

He is failing to do so. The right can cry all it wants about unfair coverage, but the right lives in that freaking lie of an echo chamber and defends Trump like a poor baby that gets picked on while justifying violence and racism against minorities.

Trump is president - he needs to man up and take responsibility for the mess he made.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

But did he ask Pelosi why she kept repeating 'tax scam passed in the middle of the night'?

No. Just as valid, but doesn't fit his agenda. If anything, Trump's calling the oncoming immigrants an invasion is far more accurate, yet no questions on the other side. Why is that? Why is the press never focused on those things? Until they do that, they have no credibility, nor any reason to be treated any different than they were treated.

20. foh

foh Member

Why is CNN = press in general? And if you question the credibility of the press overall, who are you going to use as your source of information, if not them? You are going to trust crooked politicians to tell you "the truth"? Or you will only believe GOP politicians? Do you realize where that would lead? Eventually, a civil war or a coup of some sort, I would think.

I had hard time telling the difference too, but AP has signed onto the story with the help of video experts and so did the white house photography association per article here:
    https://apnews.com/c575bd1cc3b1456cb3057ef670c7fe2a

It's not surprising that the alternative reality propagators from the White House would do this. It IS though astonishing that people are excusing blatant lies from the administration because they feel sorry for them... They feel sorry for a crooked narcissistic billionaire of a politician who is being asked unfavorable questions by the people who have been tasked with protecting our democracy by our founding fathers. Trump, from day 1, has been antagonizing our only source of objective reality and facts (relatively speaking) and people go along with him?! Why do people trust Trump to do the morally right thing (ie. be honest and self-accountable)?! What has he done to earn such respect and good repute? Accused Obama of not being born in the US (another lie of his)?

Nook likes this.