1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: Media is the enemy of the American people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anticope, Feb 17, 2017.

1. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

What? You mean nobody's done that already?

I got 20 bucks says before 3pm (EST)...

dobro1229 likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

jo mama, B-Bob and justtxyank like this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we're talking Thai, I'm partial to Sap's on Burnet. They'll also have a number of vegetarian-friendly options.

Buck Turgidson and Deckard like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I ate at their location in South Austin a one or two years ago, and maybe I caught them on a bad day. Just didn't grab me. I'll give the Burnet eatery a try soon. I've had an interest in Thai food after visiting Bangkok about a hundred years ago. Seems that long, at any rate. From what I understand, the city has vastly changed, and not for the better. A real shame. I enjoyed it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I M Thai off Brodie in Sunset Valley is good as is Mai Thai off San Jacinto near Vince Young Steakhouse are the two best IMO. Thai Passion used to be nice when they were downtown and you craved food after bars close. The best Thai I've had is in Buda and is I M Thai restaurant there. Saps is alright although I don't like how they make their Pad Thai. Tastes like some weird version of spaghetti imo.

jo mama, Buck Turgidson and Deckard like this.
  6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oddly enough, I've heard the same thing about the south location not being as good as Burnet. They've got a dish in particular that I love: some green beans cooked with chiles and palm sugar with meat or tofu. The curries have been good, too. All in all, I think the food is close to Titaya's, but more affordable. In fact, I hardly go to Titaya's anymore since the remodel because of the price increase and general hassle.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My favorite Thai place in Austin is DeeDee's food truck. My nephew who just moved here from Thailand for Grad school thinks it's the most authentic place in Austin. He also likes Thai Kun but it's pretty spendy for Thai food.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, their Pad Thai was weird, and that's the dish I use to judge a Thai restaurant. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

London'sBurning likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

It appears that Trump's ongoing feud with CNN and constant touting of Fox has been good for one of them...

B-Bob, KingCheetah and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Fox executives:

"So, you're saying we need to hire hotter, dumber people?" "Done."

11. NewRoxFan

In response to the NBC firing of Matt Lauer harassment accusations...

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...x-news-should-win-fake-news-trophy/910970001/

President Trump this week proposed the creation of a "fake news trophy."

But he's likely to be disappointed that many voters picked Fox News as the organization that most deserved it.

A new poll from conservative-leaning Rasmussen found that 40% of all voters thought Fox deserved the non-award.

Here's the breakdown for the other outlets that voters picked:

• 25% said CNN deserved the fake news trophy
    • 9% said MSNBC
    • 4% said ABC
    • 3% said CBS
    • 2% said NBC
    Another 6% picked a different outlet and 11% were undecided.

Break it down by political party, and Democrats (53%) and voters that weren't affiliated with a party (42%) picked Fox as the network that deserved the "trophy." Republicans were more likely to pick CNN (40%) over Fox (24%).

When he proposed the "fake news trophy," Trump said it should go to the network that has the "most dishonesty, corrupt and/or distorted" coverage of him.

More: President Trump: There should be a contest about which network is 'most dishonest'

He specified that the contest shouldn't include Fox.

hee hee

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

have you been to IM thai? its close to the westgate saps. east of brodie in the same shopping center as pet smart and kohls. i like saps, but IM thai is better imo.

i usually get the kao soi there. id have to say that is my all-time favorite thai dish...(from their website...*Mild. Flat egg noodles in yellow curry sauce topped with crispy noodles, green onions, cilantro and served with pickled cabbage, bean sprouts, lime and choice of meat)

https://austin.imthaicuisine.com/#/

EDIT - just saw the other shout-out to IM thai. that place is legit yo!

also, i think that saps has gone down in quality since the couple that owned it divorced. it used to be called madam mams...from what i understand she took over the guadalupe location and kept the name while the husband got the westgate location. madam mams is better, imo.

also also, i ate at a kick-ass indian food trailer last week for lunch - bombay dhaba on s. 1st. it was only like $8 for a ton of food and it was great.

#373 jo mama, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are real consequences to Trump's rhetoric as many regimes around the world are latching onto it to justify their own actions targetting a journalists. In addition to what McCain cited. The Libyan government also followed Trump's lead on "Fake News" to criticize reports that slavery is taking place in Libya.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ff-the-fake-news-claims/ar-BBGIe0F?li=BBnb7Kz
    John McCain to Trump: Lay off the 'fake news' claims

Senator John McCain again called out President Trump for his anti-media rhetoric.

In a tweet Wednesday afternoon, McCain shared a new report from the Committee to Protect Journalists that says the number of journalists imprisoned around the world has reached 262, a new record.

The total includes 21 reporters being held on "false news" charges.

The president "must understand his harmful rhetoric only empowers repressive regimes to jail reporters & silence the truth," McCain wrote.

Trump is known for dismissing press coverage he doesn't like as "fake news."

CPJ's report was highly critical of Trump's tactics.

"President Donald Trump's nationalistic rhetoric, fixation on Islamic extremism, and insistence on labeling critical media 'fake news' serves to reinforce the framework of accusations and legal charges that allow [some foreign] leaders to preside over the jailing of journalists," it reads.

The most common reasons journalists are put behind bars around the world include "anti-state charges" and "broad and vague terror laws," according to the CPJ report.

Turkey has imprisoned the highest number of reporters at 73. China is second with 41.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment about McCain's tweet or the CPJ report.

McCain, a Republican from Arizona, has broken ranks with other members of his party and publicly criticized Trump over a variety of issues. He famously blocked passage of Trump's promised Obamacare repeal bill with a dramatic "no" vote. And he's frequently condemned Trump's attacks on the media.

"If you want to preserve -- I'm very serious now -- if you want to preserve democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and many times adversarial press," McCain said in a February interview with NBC News. "And without it, I am afraid that we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started."

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump - has gone from a funny TV personality to the person most hated on the planet - he is approaching Hitler in unpopularity.

DD

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I believe a greater % of Americans actually liked Hitler (pre invasion of Poland) than approve of Trump today. FWIW.

Just to make us all feel better for the holidays. LOL

pirc1 likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Uh oh, someone didn't get the right talking points... btw, I believe Heather Nauert has been one of the better press spokesperson for this administration.

19. NewRoxFan

In trump's 30 minute interview with fake news New York Times he managed to lie almost once every minute...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

He makes a tremendous point about the electoral college. Republicans should purge it, BELIEVE ME, i have nothing to gain from agreeing with trump on the hardships of the electoral college. I've always thought you shouldn't be left with nothing if you win the popular.
    If one candidate wins the electoral and the other one the popular vote, both should share the presidency. Can you imagine crooked hilary and corrupt trump having to do EVERYTHING together? Ratings galore!

It should count 33% electoral college, 33% popular vote then decided by an epic game of Family feud. Like this idea is crazier than what we're witnessing.

B-Bob likes this.