1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Flirting With Disaster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, May 6, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnew...cations-iran-planned-attack/story?id=62843182

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The big political miscalculation that Trump could make is thinking that war wins elections in 2019 like it has done for so many other presidents in the past.

Now if Iran strikes first, yeah... he'll get initial support for a counter-strike, but in the end, its still his fault for stoking tensions & backing out of the nuclear agreement.

Nobody wants war with Iran that isn't a NeoCon Republican Classic. Trump doesn't really understand who his base really is if he goes to war with Iran. They are more Alex Jones conspiracy theorists than George Bush type Republicans of former years.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

45 is a disaster

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

5. Nook

Nook Member

Everyone kind of suspects that President Trump is going to get in one war before he leaves office.

He has so far bent over for Russia, Saudi Arabia and North Korea....... but no doubt that Israel is in his ear about Iran.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when we had a treaty that limited Iranian nuclear abilities and didn't have the cost in lives and money that a war would?

Rashmon, dobro1229, CometsWin and 3 others like this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, if anyone should be used to constantly flirting the line of all out disaster, it's this administration.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't understand how it would make any sense for Iran to attack US forces, directly or by proxy. It's an unfortunate situation that I don't feel like I can entirely trust our Sec of State.

CometsWin, B-Bob, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  9. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Maybe they were going to strike Israel and Trump with Bolton and Pompeo reacted. I really hope is not a False flag. Let’s finish his first term with no war.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Mike Pompeo is a strong believer in the rapture.

Couldn't ask for a more level headed and rational Secretary of State.

11. Nook

Nook Member

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47670717
    Pompeo says God may have sent Trump to save Israel from Iran
    • 22 March 2019
    [​IMG]Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
    Image captionMike Pompeo is among the administration's most religious members, even attending a bible study group with other Cabinet members
    US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said it is "possible" that President Donald Trump was sent by God to save Israel from Iran.

In an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network during a high-profile trip to Israel, he said it was his faith that made him believe that.

He also praised US efforts to "make sure that this democracy in the Middle East, that this Jewish state, remains".

The comments came on a Jewish holiday celebrating rescue from genocide.

The holiday, Purim, commemorates the biblical rescue of the Jewish people by Queen Esther from the Persians, as the interviewer noted to Mr Pompeo.

What did Pompeo say?
    He was asked if "President Trump right now has been sort of raised for such a time as this, just like Queen Esther, to help save the Jewish people from an Iranian menace".

"As a Christian, I certainly believe that's possible," said Mr Pompeo, a former member of Congress for Kansas and CIA director.

"I am confident that the Lord is at work here," he added.

Mr Pompeo came under fire during his tour of the Middle East for holding a conference call and only inviting "faith-based" members of the media to join.

How often do US officials invoke religion?
    Mr Pompeo is not the first Trump official to suggest a divine will behind Mr Trump's actions: In January, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders told a religious television network that God "wanted Donald Trump to become president".

Vice-President Mike Pence and former Attorney General Jeff Sessions have also referenced Christianity or bible verses in official remarks.

His administration is also the first in 100 years to have a Cabinet member bible study group - of which Mr Pompeo was a member.

What is the current state of US-Iran relations?
    Since becoming president, Mr Trump has sought a hard-line stance against Iran.

In May 2018, Mr Trump withdrew the US from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear deal, calling it "a horrible one-sided deal".

On Friday, his administration imposed new sanctions on 14 individuals and 17 organisations allegedly involved with Iran's nuclear programme, claiming Iran would not answer questions about its weapons and research.

The new sanctions have barred these individuals and organisations from accessing the US financial system or any US assets.

And the threat of secondary US sanctions also discourages other countries from doing business with the targeted entities, making them "radioactive internationally".

What about US-Israel relations?
    Also on Thursday, Mr Trump announced a change in US policy toward the Golan Heights, saying that the territory Israel has occupied from Syria since 1967 should be recognised as part of Israel.

In recent days, Mr Trump has accused his Democratic rivals of being "anti-Israel" and "anti-Jewish".

The president is due to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu next week, when he is in Washington to attend the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (Aipac) annual meeting.

The remarks by Mr Pompeo, and the Golan announcement by Mr Trump, come just weeks before Israeli elections are held on 9 April.