1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Flip Flops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 13, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Not exactly lies, but 180 degree turns in past statements and positions. Should be a large list already and can be expected to grow. Here's an article with a good start... focusing on economic reversals...

Trump is dialing back his economic promises. Bigly

President Trump and his top advisers appear to have a new message for America: Lower your expectations.
    Trump played up his image as a businessman and dealmaker who could rescue the U.S. economy. The day he was sworn in, he vowed to create 25 million new jobs -- the most of any president in history -- and double the growth of the Obama era (among other promises).

Wall Street has roared in anticipation, with the stock market hitting new heights. Over on Main Street, small business and consumer confidence hit multi-decade highs.

Now, reality is setting in for how much Trump can really get done (and how fast) on the economy.

The big tax reform that was supposed to be done by August? Don't bet on it. White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer put it this way: "It still would be a great opportunity before they leave for August recess, but we're going to make sure we do this right."

Trump's campaign promise to greatly reduce -- or even eliminate -- America's federal debt? "That was hyperbole," White House budget director Mick Mulvaney told CNBC Wednesday. "I'm not going to be able to pay off $20 trillion worth of debt in four years."

Labeling China a currency manipulator on Day One? That's not happening (not even on Day 100). "They're not currency manipulators," Trump told the Wall Street Journal Wednesday in a major U-turn. During the campaign, Trump had said China has the upper hand against American manufacturers because it keep its currency artificially low.

Repealing Obamacare and replacing it with something "something terrific"? That's up in the air. His first attempt failed in March when he couldn't gin up enough votes in Congress. Many business leaders hoped Trump would move on to tax cuts, but Trump surprised many by telling Fox Business on Tuesday, "I have to do healthcare first." Now, confusion abounds on what the next priority is.

Fixing America's "disastrous trade policies"? The White House has decided to study the issue. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross announced a 90-day comprehensive trade review at the end of March. Much of the "trade war" talk has been dialed back after Trump's recent meeting with Chinese President Xi.

Spending $1 trillion on infrastructure? That's unlikely. Mulvaney said he and top economic adviser Gary Cohn are "assuming a $200 billion number."

"The Trump train appears to be coming off the tracks as the president backpedals on a number of issues," says Mike O'Rourke, chief market strategist at Jones Trading.

Investors run to 'safe haven' assets again

There are also his flip flops on NATO (now he's really for it), China's trade surplus (he says he'll give China more favorable trade terms if they help out on North Korea), Syria (now the White House wants regime change there) and Janet Yellen (he bashed her on the campaign trail for propping up the Obama economy. Now he says he "likes her" and that low interest rates are good).

All this dialing back of expectations is causing a reality check in the markets.

U.S. stocks have stalled -- and even dipped -- since the S&P 500 closed at an all-time high on March 1. Even more telling is how investors are stocking up on "safe haven" assets like gold and government bonds.

Gold has jumped 7% in the past month, and the 10-year U.S. Treasury bonds are now yielding a mere 2.26%, a significant decline from 2.58% a month ago. The yield goes down when more people are buying bonds.

The key might still be tax reform

Since the election, the consensus view has been that Trump would do a major tax cut/overhaul (the biggest since the 1986 reform under President Reagan), scale back regulations and spend more money on the military and infrastructure. All of this was supposed to juice the economy -- and stocks.

But now that thesis is breaking down. Any action on taxes probably won't happen until later this year -- or even 2018. Infrastructure and the massive budget cuts Trump wants are in doubt, and Trump's "get tough" foreign policy is causing some alarm that the U.S. could be headed for more war.

"There have been breathtaking reversals this week by Trump on NATO, Janet Yellen, trade deals, etc," says Greg Valliere, chief strategist at Horizon Investments.

Valliere still believes the "pro-business" faction of the White House, led by Goldman Sachs alum Gary Cohn, will prevail.

Business owners from Wall Street to Main Street would probably forget (and forgive) a lot of Trump's flip flopping and uncertainty if tax reform gets done. But all the indications are the White House and Congress are a long way from making that happen.

"We're talking about revamping one of the most complicated tax systems in the developed world, which would understandably take time to draft and negotiate across party lines," says Lindsey Piegza, chief economist at Stifel Fixed Income.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/13/news/economy/donald-trump-economic-promises/index.html

adoo likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Everything Trump says should be treated as marketing slogans:

Things go better with Coke.

Pepsi. The Choice of a New Generation

Dr Pepper, It Makes the World Taste Better.

Space Ghost and Rocket River like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Swamp the drainage.

Metaphorically, literally, whatever tf you want it. That man has it.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The problem is that his supporters don't care. They have bought into his cult of personality. Every failure on his part is to be blamed on Democrats, liberals, fake media, etc. His warmongering is applauded as a Make-America-Great-Again triumph; strongman Trump standing up to international bullies.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, duh. It would be way way way way way way more shocking had he actually accomplished something he said he'd do in the campaign. There is literally a Trump tweet in opposition to everything he's done so far.

6. hlcc

hlcc Member

Well I don't consider this as a negative actually. Some of the "policies" stated during the campaign are down right crazy/ridiculous/stupid, labeling China as a currency manipulator and enacting policies based on that is just plain stupid & counterproductive because it's simply not true. A trade policy based on high tariffs as per the campaign is simply moronic, and the current approach of trying to improve market access with China (lowering their tariffs) is a much more sensible & beneficial approach.

This kind of flip flopping is much better than continuing with those crazy/stupid campaign policies.

#6 hlcc, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Most non-idiots knew Trump was full of hot air. What a complete flaming, flip-flopping, pathological lying disaster of a president.

There is a certain amount of (functional) lying that is to be expected for a president. Trump goes so far over the deep end it's disgraceful.

He's the first president in my lifetime I actually consider a piece of trash. People that continue to defend him and deflect criticism while refusing to blast his shortcomings amaze me.

Referring to him as "president" makes me gag.

Two more years.

Rashmon and CometsWin like this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a good one!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They bought into he is a white guy
    and that when he said make america great again he meant get rid of the darkies

Rocket River

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a sad commentary on America that this piece of trash could win an election for any office.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

"My fellow Americans, ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for your business." DJT channels JFK

AP FACT CHECK: President Trump’s flip-flops flub the facts

By Calvin Woodward and Jim Drinkard | AP April 15 at 8:56 AM

WASHINGTON — It was a flip-floppy week at the White House as President Donald Trump walked away from some promises and people, contorting reality in the process.

He declared NATO no longer obsolete, even though the alliance hasn’t changed much since he denigrated it in the 2016 campaign. He credited China with ceasing the manipulation of its currency, swerving away from a campaign pledge with a belated acknowledgment that China had changed its ways.

The president’s chief strategist, Steve Bannon, joined a list of people Trump has claimed to know well until he said he didn’t. Russian President Vladimir Putin is on the list, too, as he has been for some time. “I don’t know Putin,” Trump said in characterizing U.S.-Russia relations as the worst ever. He’d bragged in 2015, “I got to know him very well.”

As he performed such acrobatics to explain a series of shifts, Trump also committed several more familiar sleights of rhetoric, taking credit where it isn’t due in job growth and corporate expansion.

A look at some of his statements this past week:

TRUMP: “The secretary-general and I had a productive discussion about what more NATO can do in the fight against terrorism. I complained about that a long time ago and they made a change, and now they do fight terrorism. I said it was obsolete. It’s no longer obsolete.” — news conference Wednesday with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg

THE FACTS: NATO has not substantively changed its mission as a result of Trump’s campaign-season complaints. As evidence that NATO is heeding his call to be more aggressive on terrorism, Trump has cited a NATO decision last year to establish a high-level intelligence coordinator that could make the alliance more nimble in responding to threats. But that position was in the works during the Obama administration and came about because of worries about Russian aggression as well as from a desire to respond more effectively to the Islamic State group. It wasn’t in response to Trump.
    ___

TRUMP: “Already we’ve created more than almost 600,000 jobs.” — to CEOs on Tuesday.

THE FACTS: More than almost?

First, Trump is taking credit for three months of job creation even though he wasn’t president for two-thirds of January. Second, the economy doesn’t turn on a dime — or an inauguration. Over time, his predecessor’s influence on the economy wanes and Trump’s grows.

Third, he took actual job growth and rounded it up — way up. The economy added 533,000 jobs in the first three months, not the 600,000 claimed by Trump on several occasions. That’s a monthly average of 178,000 jobs. President Barack Obama’s pace was slightly better last year: 187,000 jobs per month on average.
    ___

TRUMP: “We may be at an all-time low in terms of relationship with Russia.” — news conference Wednesday

THE FACTS: Arguably true in the post-Soviet era. Not so during the decades of the Cold War, shadowed by the threat of nuclear annihilation.

The U.S. and the Soviet Union were on the verge of a nuclear conflict in October 1962 during the Cuban Missile Crisis. In the Korean War, Soviet pilots covertly backed North Korea against U.S.-led forces. Tensions also were high after a U.S. U-2 spy plane was shot down over Russia and its pilot, Gary Powers, was imprisoned and tried for espionage. And the U.S. helped militants fight the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s.
    ___

TRUMP: “Toyota just announced that it will invest more than $1.3 billion ... into its Georgetown, Kentucky, plant, an investment that would not have been made if we didn’t win the election.” — to CEOs on Tuesday.

THE FACTS: Trump’s election was not the spark for the investment. Toyota said the announcement was the culmination of plans in the works for at least four years.
    ___

TRUMP: “The car industry is not going to leave us anymore, believe me. The car industry is staying in our country. They were leaving — if I didn’t win this election, you would have lost your car industry to Mexico and to other countries. They’re not leaving anymore, believe me. There’s retribution if they leave. There was no retribution.” — Fox Business Network interview, broadcast Wednesday

THE FACTS: The only “retribution” he has meted out has come on Twitter and in other rhetorical forms. He hasn’t signed any laws or instituted rules to punish fleeing industries. In fact, Ford Motor Co. is still planning to move small car production from Michigan to an existing plant in Mexico next year.
    ___

TRUMP, on his chief strategist, Steve Bannon: “I like Steve, but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late. I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn’t know Steve. I’m my own strategist, and it wasn’t like I was going to change strategies because I was facing crooked Hillary.” — Interview on Tuesday with the New York Post.

THE FACTS: Trump shortchanges his relationship with Bannon in an apparent effort to downgrade his importance.

David Bossie, who was deputy campaign manager, told The Associated Press after Trump took office that Bossie had introduced Trump and Bannon in 2011 at Trump Tower and they had grown close. Bannon interviewed Trump at least nine times in 2015 and 2016.

In August 2016, when the Trump campaign announced the hiring of Bannon as campaign CEO and the appointment of Kellyanne Conway as campaign manager, its statement quoted Trump as saying: “’I have known Steve and Kellyanne both for many years.”
    ___

TRUMP: “I don’t know Putin.” — news conference on Wednesday.

THE FACTS: Trump’s claimed familiarity with Putin has waxed and waned according to political circumstance.

It waxed when it served his interest to demonstrate comfort dealing with world leaders. “I got to know him very well because we were both on ‘60 Minutes,’ we were stablemates, and we did very well that night,” he said in November 2015. Actually, Putin spoke from Moscow and Trump from New York and appeared in separate segments of the show.

It waned when Trump’s frequently admiring comments about Putin became a liability and Russia’s alleged interference in the U.S. election came to light. “I never met Putin, I don’t know who Putin is,” he said in July, and essentially ever since.

The two spoke by phone Jan. 28, when Putin congratulated the new president.
    ___

TRUMP on his decision to attack a Syrian air base: “What I did should have been done by the Obama administration a long time before I did it, and you would have had a much better — I think Syria would be a lot better off right now than it has been.” — Fox Business interview.

THE FACTS: Trump may think that now, but he certainly didn’t three years ago when Obama was contemplating retaliation following a deadly chemical weapons attack in a Damascus suburb.

Among several tweets he sent advising against a strike: “President Obama, do not attack Syria. There is no upside and tremendous downside. Save your powder for another (and more important) day!”
    ___

TRUMP on China: “They’re not currency manipulators.” — Wall Street Journal interview Wednesday.

THE FACTS: Here Trump catches up with reality. During the campaign he pledged to brand China a currency manipulator, a move that would set the stage for trade penalties. China had once devalued its currency to make its exports artificially cheaper, crowding out other countries’ products, but in recent years has let market forces do more to shape currency exchange rates. When Trump railed against Chinese currency manipulation in the campaign, there were signs that China was actually taking steps to keep the value of the yuan from sinking further against the dollar.

Trump didn’t let go of his accusation easily. As recently as April 2 he told The Financial Times that the Chinese are “world champions” of currency manipulation.
    ___

TRUMP: “I think we’re doing very well on health care. It’s been very much misreported that we failed with health care.” — Fox Business interview

THE FACTS: By any objective measure, that’s sugar-coating a faltering health care initiative.

Last month, House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., yanked the Republican bill intended to repeal and replace much of Obama’s health care law. The problem: disagreements among GOP hard-liners and moderates, and no Democratic support. Since then, negotiations have led to some tweaks, but no apparent breakthroughs.

That’s not to say he can’t succeed on another try. But after the bill flopped, an AP-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll found that among seven major issues tested, the president got his worst rating on health care. About 6 in 10 disapproved of Trump’s handling of the issue.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Pence says United States will honor refugee deal with Australia
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...l-honor-refugee-deal-with-australia/22050595/

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Necrobump this thread... It isn't, um, wait, it is...

Opioid crisis: Donald Trump rejects calls to declare national emergency
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...isis-donald-trump-briefing-national-emergency

Then, today:

15. NewRoxFan

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

17. bongman

bongman Member

More videos ...

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That last woman sums this up perfectly for his base. MAGA!

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

But but but, Hillary... The emails... I mean, she was just as bad...

el gnomo likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member