1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump’s Electoral College Edge Could Grow in 2020, Rewarding Polarizing Campaign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 20, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really have any reason to believe Trump would try and stay if he lost. I simply have no reason to believe that.

I don't think he cares enough if at all about running the country.

I know there is some financial gain but I think he has raised his profile enough to make money post presidency to not worry about it.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

She ran a god-awful campaign. I said that many times after the election, and more than once during it. Totally agree about Wisconsin. That she couldn't make it there to campaign was absurd. You can never take anything for granted. People stayed at home. Others voted Libertarian or, god help them, for trump. The ones that stayed home were fools, and as bad as Hillary's campaign was, any person with a functioning brain should have realized the stakes involved. Part of the problem was everyone assumed that trump would lose. They still should have voted. I told people to in the "real world" that they needed to vote and not to assume anything, and said the same here. I think Russian interference played its part, but Clinton should have won anyway. Hell, even the clothes she wore during the campaign were ludicrous. She won the debates by any reasonable metric, but still lost. It was crazy.

This can't happen in 2020. People need to vote that despise trump even if they absolutely hate whoever gets the Democratic nomination. The future of the country is at stake. I'll vote for whoever gets the nomination and I'll tell others to do the same. I'm still not sure who will get the nod. I'm voting for Mayor Pete in the Texas primary, based on what I've seen so far, but I don't expect him to win the nomination. I just hope it isn't someone who will frighten off the mainstream voters of the party. Biden is too old, and I don't expect him to retain his lead, but damned if I know who will win it. We'll see. I know it won't be Bernie, I can tell you that much. He's also old as dirt. Time for some younger candidates, in my opinion.

The handful of extremist trump supporters here are sad, pathetic creatures, wrapped up in trump's demagoguery. There are plenty of Republicans, the one's who haven't fled the party, that will hold their collective noses and vote for trump. Some of them will claim they didn't. I think that will amount of about 40% of the electorate, as shocking as that may be. The key is to get everyone else registered and get them to get off their butts and vote. I'll be working at a phone bank before this is over. I have a good friend who ran one in 2018 (there are several phone banks in Austin doing both local and national calls for Dem candidates), and I'll be involved there. I'll contribute to whoever is on the ticket. I just don't know who that'll be.

#22 Deckard, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The main reason would be not being protected by DOJ guidelines that a sitting president can't be indicted if he has pending legal cases once he leaves.

Nook likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would make sense if I thought Trump thought ahead that much.

I think Trump believes he will always outsmart the system. I don't think he believes he is that vulnerable.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's a lunatic. He's also utterly ruthless and will do anything to "win" the election, because he's corrupt as hell. Russia will be backing him, and the administration, especially under Barr, seems to be doing little to stop them. A big turnout is key.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't know why @Space Ghost is shocked and chagrined that people have a mild concern that Trump might attempt to overstay his welcome when he explicitly multiple times have "joked" about a third term and has convinced his followers that the election would be rigged if he losses. Presidents don't talk like that.

Amiga likes this.
  7. biff17

biff17 Member

even if he issued an executive order it does not mean anything.

an executive order does not circumvent the constitution.

I know we are in the midst of crazy times but the supreme court would not even take it up and he would be physically removed from the white house.

Not even Republicans would go along with that.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only blood thirsty folks are the racist Trumpsters Jonesing to put holes in brown people.

9. biff17

biff17 Member

i agree with you about not trying to stay but he definitely doesn't want to leave be side he knows he has criminal liability hanging over him.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump might not even be on some ballots because he has not released his taxes.

DD

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Who knows what he’s going to do. But if you simply go by his own words...

He is going to feel that losing by a small margin isn’t right as he already think there are millions of illegal votes from illegal immigrants.

He also stated the Russian helped Clinton so that’s another angle he can take to not accept the result. Some foreign power changed the result.

If he doesn’t accept the result based on one of these, he’s can try to hold onto power until the fed government finish an investigate, which he will then personally interfere to make up numbers.

12. Nook

Nook Member

LOL Really?

Anticope, superfob, TheFreak and 2 others like this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The bill passed in Cali. Is this going to hold true?

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Have you ever considered he has enough money and, him being an egomaniac, wants to be remembered as a legendary president like Jackson or TDR? He can have everything money can buy, but to be remembered as a president... well there is some value in there beyond that of money. I say he is more than driven for to become immortalized by his legacy. It's the closest you can become to God... a name remembered for the rest of written history. Plenty of richer men will die forgotten. Most people can't even name the richest man from 1960, but they can name JFK. The ego of a man like Trump is out of control.

[​IMG]

#34 dachuda86, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    BruceAndre likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree very much with this analysis and have been warning many others that Trump can lose a much greater popular vote margin and still win the election. No one especially any of the Democrats should be feeling that odds are in favor them winning. I give this election at best a 50 - 50 chance. Also this election isn't just about the battleground states but the battleground counties. Consider that Ilhan Omar represents Minnesota 5th District which is Hennepin county. Trump got slaughtered there. The 6th district is on the northern border of the 5th and Trump won that overwhelmingly. In the end Trump lost in Minnesota by 1.5%. Wisconsin demographics are very similar to Minnesota and he won that by 0.7%. He got crushed in Milwaukee and Madison but won by some pretty good margins counties bordering those urban areas.
    This is where I think there is a very deliberate strategy to a lot of what Trump says and tweets. I don't think it is just that he is unrepentant racist and xenophobe that he is targeting Rep. Omar. Even while Omar might be a darling of the Left her support in even the Twin Cities isn't universal and I doubt she could win a statewide election in Minnesota or even the 7 county Twin Cities metro area. She is absolutely hated by Trump supporters nationally and possibly even more in Minnesota. Trump understands that. He knows that even if Minneapolis was represented by Bob Smith who's ancestors came on the Mayflower he wouldn't win that congressional district. His strategy is to rile up conservative suburbanites enough to support him or at least keep them distracted by Omar from other issues.
    This applies to nearly all of the other battleground states. Democrats cannot count on innercity Detroit and Philadelphia carrying MI and PA. They have to carry the suburbs around them.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I’m not so sure that Republicans wouldn’t go with that. They’ve constantly and consistently justified even the worst comments and actions by trump. Why stop there?

For those talking about OH, I don’t believe it’s a swing state any longer. It’s gone red, despite all of the damage trump has done there.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. biff17

biff17 Member

How does he hold onto power?

Refusing to !I've out of the Whitehouse?

Once he loses he has no power to maintain control.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

Yes it could happen I just don't think they would set the precedent.

And what would be the mechanism that they use to keep him in office.

I agree Ohio is a red state but if he loses PA and Michigan he is toast.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Trump didn't fit any metrics, he was an inexperienced and disinterested sexual predator whose only talking point was bigotry, but whose inherited and self-indulgent wealth telegraphed predatory, corrupt capitalism and a disdain for social services and minority rights of any kind. Stupid and mean people with horrible values usually don't get all of their vindictive and unworkable ideas packed into one candidate from a major party; and baby boomers, while being more biased and discriminatory than every generation afterwards, never placed the same bizarre value on pop-culture that gen-Xers and millennials have: that rare confluence is how Trump and later Oprah got serious consideration for Eisenhower's old job, from grown ass adults.

The individual and enumerated human garbage piles in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan or wherever who think delegating our military, education, health care, infrastructure or economy to mafia boss like Trump don't deserve to be catered to. They make the same choice again in a year, with a slate of more experienced and less dysfunctional public servants, they should get used to a lifetime of riots and ridicule.

#39 Dairy Ashford, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    RayRay10 and JumpMan like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only problem is that Trump won't be able to run against Omar in 2020. At some point the focus will shift away from the "Squad" and move back to the Democratic nominee.