1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[TrueHoop] Yao Ming is No Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Aug 8, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It appears that Yao Ming may be less popular in China than we think.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-131/Yao-Ming-is-No-Kobe-Bryant.html

[rquoter]
    TrueHoop reader Mac Lotze is an American living in Shanghai (maybe you remember his report from last pre-season), and sends the following thoughts about the mind of the typical Chinese basketball fan.

Style and scoring ability.

This is why Kobe Bryant is the greatest sports icon in China; not Yao Ming, not Yi Jianlian, not even groundbreaking hurdle-champion Liu Xiang.

This was the prevailing sentiment amongst those polled in the sold-out Qizhong Arena in Shanghai that was painted with 24s and 8s.

Perhaps it is part of the emerging young generation in China and their unquenchable thirst for all things foreign, but it is shocking how few fans list their fellow countrymen as their heroes. The fans in attendance were easily pleased, cheering even for referees calling fouls.

Witnessing the excitement for Kobe Bryant and this young Team USA, it is not unreasonable to expect there will be wavering allegiances among the locals when Team USA laces it up against an overmatched Chinese team this Sunday.

It is something that I have found the most fascinating in my two years over here in Shanghai. I am constantly asking Chinese friends, taxi drivers, and others I encounter if they like basketball, which players they like, and if they like Yao Ming.

The experience has left me convinced that I like Yao Ming a lot more than the vast majority of Shanghainese.

Few of them even say they like Yao Ming.

They like Tracy McGrady a heck of a lot better than Yao Ming, often expressing that Yao is lacking a quality that translates literally as "resolute heart," but means something like determination.

I came to Shanghai with the erroneous perception that basketball has become popular in China because of Yao Ming, but it appears that he is a small piece of the puzzle. The main reasons I see that Yao Ming is not as much of a national hero as he used to be and that common sense would dictate are:

• He has yet to win a playoff series.
    • His size makes him very hard to relate to for 99% of the population. Chinese fans want to idolize a player that they can imitate or relate to from a size standpoint. This is one of the main reasons hurdler Liu Xiang is much hotter and more popular than Yao Ming these days. The Chinese respect and admire people that were not given as many god-given talents, but work their tails off to become great. They can relate to that, even dream about that. That's tougher in the case of Yao Ming.
    • Yao Ming is boring compared to a lot of players. I have played quite a few pickup games in China and from the 5'4 point guards to the 7-footers are all they are all showcasing their And One skills. (Yes, there are quite a few tall Chinese players all around Shanghai. With the economic prosperity that China is enjoying currently, they are privy to the type of diet that was impossible before. Not to mention the one child policy allows parents to feed their children with food that was previously divided between many kids.) They are all about the flash, excitement, dribbling through the legs, behind the back passes. Yao Ming, while being one of the best centers in the NBA, just doesn't have that. That's why even if Houston were to win a title (and I think they can now with Artest) I suspect that in the U.S. and China alike you will find it boosting T-Mac's popularity more than Yao's.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Chinese crowd will be divided on Sunday, the question is simply by how much. It is clear that if China had a better chance (maybe if Yao Ming was 100%) that the vast majority would be cheering unequivocally for China.

But because the true basketball fans realize that their chances are relatively slim, it is a harder question to answer. I asked several of the Chinese fans at the game last night about who they will be cheering for on Sunday and there was definite hesitation. After hesitating, the general consensus was that they want China to win, but that they will still be cheering for their favorite players, mostly Bryant, but for Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwight Howard too.

I relate it to the weird dynamic with fantasy sports when you have a star that is playing against your favorite team. On one hand you want your team to win, but some part of you wants to see your player shoot the lights out. If they could pick they would pick a Chinese victory, but they know that is slightly unrealistic so they will be cheering for great plays from their favorite players more than anything.

And after playing China, every game will be like a home game for Team USA. None of the non-Americans can garner the type of excitement and idolism that Kobe, Bron Bron, Melo, Howard, and Wade can deliver.

As the Chinese prospects keep maturing, it is certain that China will become increasingly relevant in the international basketball scene. It will be interesting to see how many great Chinese players it will take to start to swing popular sentiment strongly back towards China. It might just take some Iverson-type players to make that change (point guard Chen Jianghua, for instance). But my guess is it could take quite some time, and many exciting wing players, to truly change allegiances in China.
    [/rquoter]

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

China fans were actually chanting, "MVP! MVP! MVP!" whenever Kobe went to the line. That surprised me.

3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

This is old everyone knows Yao ming is boring,but his efficient, and thats what matters. :D

4. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

I am waiting for Tinman to come out from the wood to debunk this so he can perpetuate the notion that all Chinese fans are ignorant, the only basketball player that they know is Yao and they would support Yao no matter what.

Tinman, where are you?

5. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Based on this, the bbs likes Yao more than China.

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

So in reality now we'll have a new group called the "KOF's"......interesting. :rolleyes:

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Now I can't wait to see how the crowd is during that 1st game. I wonder if Team USA blows them out to the point of embarrassment whether the crowd will turn on them.

If Kobe is so popular, is every Lakers game on TV in China? Do more Chinese fans watch Lakers games than Rockets games?

SevereCr1tic, pleeease!. Don't invite him to hijack another thread.

8. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

This bbs like Yao more. Are you the only one who was surprised? Would anyone else be surprised? This is a Rockets fan site and Yao is a Rocket. You don't have to make a post to say something which is so obvious. I also wonder what the 'this' that you are referring to.

9. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

Sorry, maybe I should have left Tinman out of this. :) Seriously, unlike other posters, I don't have much problem with Tinman. I am just poking fun at him.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Think about this: Kobe may be more "popular" than Yao in China in terms of guys wanting to imitate his moves and buying his jerseys, but Yao is a big reason why Kobe is as popular and well-known as he is. I'd bet NBA viewership, merchandize sales, etc. on an overall level increased tremendously post-2002. Yao didn't just get people to watch Yao, he got a lot more people in China to start paying attention to the entire NBA.

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

To be fair...China's always idolized basketball and the NBA...when Chinese TV hosted the 94 Finals live, ratings were through the roof.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Kobe Bryant is the greatest sports icon in China

Just goes to show you being a fool and loser has no national boundaries.

Kobe Bryant is a tremendously individually skilled basketball player, maybe the greatest in this respect. But he isn't the best 48 minute basketball player nor a great leader or human on/off the court, shows what the sound bite does to world opinion.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Would like to know how many people get up in the early morning hours to watch Kobe and the Lakers play to how many watched Yao and Yi duke it out.

I also wonder if results would be different if they polled random people across China...not just ones inside an Olympic basketball venue.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So Yao being "soft" has little to do with his Chinese culture? It sounds like the Chinese fans take issue with his nice guy style of play as much as some Rocket fans do.

15. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

Well, why would you ask that question to a random person on the street who in all possibilities doesn't follow international basketball. They at least can find the ones who actually follow international basketball and know the international players in the venue. Would you ask someone on the street of Minneapolis who their idol in world soccer is? I guess you would want to ask those who actually go into a soccer stadium and watch an international soccer match.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't say all chinese fans, maybe just the ones here ;)
    just kidding.

When the leader of Clutchfans China, Freemaniam talked NBA, he knew many things and he debunked my assumptions such as

Chinese people hate Kenny Smith!
    :p

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't need to hijack this bus
    cause I'm the bus driver..

here to take ALL OF YOU TO SCHOOL!

18. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Its just different. How many times would a Chinese who lives in China watch Kobe Lebron Wade etc live? At least they have a chance to watch Yao live almost every summer.
    Chinese basketball fans love Yao. They like Kobe, they think Kobe is cool, they think Kobe is the next MJ and has all the fancy moves, but they love Yao. Lakers vs Rockets in the WCF, they would root for the Rockets, and would hope Kobe to put on a good show.
    Entertainment wise, Kobe > the whole Chinese national team..

19. redao

redao Member

Yao is just a tall version of them.
    Kobe, is a God with a basketball.

If there is a fight between Kobe and Yao, who would they support? It must be Yao.

I think AI > Kobe in China.

no, not even close. CNT will make you lol 2 times a minute.

20. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Bad information.

"There is no doubt in my mind that the Chinese crowd will be divided on Sunday, the question is simply by how much. It is clear that if China had a better chance (maybe if Yao Ming was 100%) that the vast majority would be cheering unequivocally for China."

-- can you imagine any sports fans would be cheering for opponents, no matter how much better they are? Especially on the home court of the biggest event of the century??

-- there's no way kobe is more popular than yao in China, just check the TV ratings in China (Lakers vs Rockets), you would see the truth.

-- it's just my opinion that the likes of Kobes and NBA are more popular in most other countries than here in US. Most of my co-workers know much more about NCAA than NBA.