1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TrueHoop] Teams looking to deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Here's the justification:

Here's what he says about the Rockets:

Here's the link to read the rest = http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-29-51/Ten-Teams-Talking-Trades.html

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It would be sensible to get under the luxury tax threshold. It doesn't need to be Kirk Snyder; we have several guys whose talent we underutilize.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

For this year, though? The only way to do that, effectively is by taking back a TE, right? You got to trade salary for salary.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I thought the Rockets were over more than but I'd forgotten about the deductions they had in Sura, Deke, and Lucas's salaries.

Seattle have a 2.5 million TE. At the least it'd cost them pick/s or Landry to trade Snyder for that TE.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Warriors and Suns also have TEs and Snyder fits both systems to a tee. The Warriors are also chasing Stoudamire and Payton, if we could sneak them James or Francis for seldom used Wright that would be a monster steal.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Simple question:

If the Rockets trade Kirk Snyder for a TE, then sign Mike Harris to a min contract, do they still come in under the Luxury Tax?

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Makes you wonder how many teams are contacting Miami right now, what with their expiring contracts (Jason, Ricky, maybe Smush, Zo) and the idea that maybe Miami might still try to salvage something for this season. The playoffs seem a reach, and neither Shaq nor Dwayne are in peak condition, so at some point maybe you do say Hell With the Playoffs, but in the East, who knows?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think so. The Rockets are $1.5 million over tax limit, dumping Snyder's $2.35 million gets them $850K under the tax limit. A minimun contract for Mike, I think, is $670K or so.

There is one way of giving away Snyder without giving up a pick or another player: pay money.

If it comes down to that, given the tax and refund implications, it's worth it for the Rockets to agree to pay all of Snyder's remaining salary in a Snyder for TE trade.

9. bbjai

bbjai Member

for Wright? They traded J Rich for him. I doubt they will want him

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't kid yourself. Miami is going to the lottery this year. They ain't trad'n them expiring contracts. But they would move Blount for more expirings, i'm pretty sure. They're going after the #1 pick along with some quality FAs to add to Wade Shaq and do a quick retool for a long playoff run next year.

11. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

We're not giving Francis or James to anyone, unless they somehow show some life, I don't think. But Snyder might be able to be given away, as someone said, as long as we give them some cash, which would make financial sense.

I don't really see much out there that would upgrade the Rockets right now.

I think we need to invest in our own team, whether thats with trainers, therapists, life-coaches, whatever. There is a great need for mental sharpening on the Rockets, as well as training some of our younger guys. But, the biggest opportunity is for TMac to fully buy in. It's pretty much on Adelman at this point. I have to admit, this is the type of time that Rudy would be great. (the Rudy we used to have, not the one without health)

#11 Sherlock, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You could be right, but I'm not so sure.

Wade and Shaq together make about $35 million next year. With the other players they have, they're committed to about $50 mil in 2008-09. They don't have a lot of players to trade away for more expiring contracts.

What's the better plan---use Williams and Williams to rebuild now so that they'll have some depth for next season, or barely get under the salary cap and try to win it all with Shaq (old and untradeable), Wade (breaking down fast), Smush, Haslem, Daquean (just a kid), Blount, Mr High Draft Pick, Two Garbage 2nd Round Players, and maybe a Bonzi Wells?

If their 2 stars weren't so injury prone, maybe. If they had someone other than Wade to help distribute, maybe.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Which would you rather have?

Wade, Shaq, Haslem, Artest, and Gordon/Rose/Mayo/Beasley (draft pick) with a bench of shooters? (If they can move Blount for expirings, they would have the cap space to sign Artest to around a $10 mill per deal.

Or would you rather have......Wade Shaq Haslem and one of either Kidd/Gasol? Because if you are able to unload JWill and Davis for a big time player, you can bet you'll have to give up your draft pick.

14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Last year we dealt Scott Padgett for Tsakalidis.

This year, I hope for some bigger changes, and knowing how team is performing bad , this team could use some players that could adjust easily to high motion offense.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Salary dumps to the Warriors or Suns aren't going to happen.

Warriors and Rocks are simply competing for a playoff spot.

Suns were in salary dump mode under their owner's instructions to either reduce or get under LT. There's no chance of them adding Snyder for picks. Also I don't think they have any TEs. Their off-season trades were for players in exchange for TEs, so none would've been created.