1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[TrueHoop] Rockets Most Effective With Parsons Sidelining as Power Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kevin Arnovitz at ESPN's Truehoop blog recently wrote about "small ball" and commented on how each team in the NBA utilizes this strategy (or does not utilize it). On the Rockets, Arnovitz wrote:

[rQUOTEr]
    Houston: When Chandler Parsons plays as a small forward alongside Omer Asik and either Marcus Morris or Patrick Patterson (currently rehabbing his right foot), the Rockets basically break even. But stick Parsons at the 4, and the Rockets put it into high gear. In their three most common small-ball lineups -- all with Parsons at power forward and Carlos Delfino on the floor with two of Houston's principal guards -- the Rockets are a plus-27.9, a plus-24.1 and a plus-41.6. [/rQUOTEr]

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/52997/big-and-small-in-the-nba

My thoughts:

1. Kind of funny that with likely the most PFs in the league, the Rockets have been at their best when they don't play any of these PFs.

2. The coaches seem well aware of this. Although the starting lineup is technically "big" (you can argue Morris is actually a SF, or at least a spead 4), the "crunch time" lineup often have Parsons at the 4 next to Delfino at the 3. IIRC, last night with Delfino out we saw a good deal of Parsons at the 4 with 3 guards Lin, Douglas and Harden.

Parsons is not an ideal post defender, but he seems to have done well enough against them and, more important, puts the team in a more favorable position overall with his shooting/driving/passing game. I also don't remember the team getting bullied too badly in the post on a regular basis.

3. Rather than pursuing a PF, the Rockets might be better off look for a highly skilled and decent sized/decent rebounding SF (a Granger/Luol Deng-type, basically a rich man's Delfino) and just small ball full time.

#1 Carl Herrera, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. breakmon

breakmon Member

I don't see how Parsons at PF is "small ball". He's 6'9" for crying out loud!

3. conquistador#11

wasn't that why he was working out this summer. to BANG against fours?
    (insert pic with parsons and ppat shirtless)

4. QazQay

QazQay Member

I don't think so; he banged 10s all summer.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

How has parson at defending legit post players and bigger 4's. he's not giving up too much on height maybe but probably a lot in weight.

Can any of our plethora of 4's play center with a small ball lineup? I know smith is now. Can ppat, jones? Dmo would get handled.

6. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Wait, Parsons is seriously 6'9"?

7. QazQay

QazQay Member

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I would tend to agree with this. A stretch 4 who can put in on the floor just might be ideal. I don't think it necessarily matters if it's Parsons or another big SF that ends up playing PF either.

Look what this douche wrote just a few moments ago in the Bargnani thread:

Parsons = Hedo
    Gallo = Rashard

I think a bigger, more "natural" PF would work fine, too, if he can stretch the defense and put it on the floor if needed (perhaps D-Mo can develop into that guy down the road or, you know, Nikola Mirotic :p), so I don't think it's double "hybrid" forwards or bust. It may be the most realistic option, however. Granger and Deng are a bit too old and injury rattled for my liking, but a guy like Gallo would be pretty nice.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think this says more about Patterson and Morris than it does about parsons. Both Patterson and Morris should be back up rotational players. When they aren't scoring well they really don't soba whole lot else to affect the game.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

11. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Parsons is 6'10 with shoes, but his wingspan and standing reach is more of a 6'7-6'8 guy.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It doesn't matter what he is playing. As long as he plays.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

in other words, we need to trade Patterson or Jones for Kirilenko. I could work with that.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

NO!

[​IMG]

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

His twitter says he's "6-10, with a ratchet."

17. tjones'mama

tjones'mama Member

Hmm, I think if Morris develops consistency he would feel our PF role decently. I also think TJones should have been starting all along. But wouldnt mind seeing parsons play more PF in the future.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Parsons is versatile,and should keep on improving with time. We do need a true 4 in the future to play against the bigger 4's. Point 3,by CH does not take into account of mismatches. We don't need a Granger. Parsons and Morris can cover that spot.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Endless summer Odom v2.0 without the green thumbs.

All the more reason to try to get Gasol.

A starting frontcourt of Parsons-Gasol-Asik with the option to play Parsons at the 4 and Gasol at the 5.

20. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Pau Gasol is not the right age for this young core that has to grow together to contend in future years.