1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TrueHoop] Henry Abbot's take on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 31, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-35-121/Friday-Bullets.html

Henry Abbot:

You watch the Rockets last night? There was a lot to like. Aaron Brooks could not be more fun to watch. He has the advantage that he moves faster than actual humans, and likes going to the rim. Ron Artest is always fantastic when his three is falling. And despite a flood of turnovers, Yao Ming managed to score plenty. The team played so well that on the road in Dallas, they didn't even really need Tracy McGrady down the stretch, and he got to play cheerleader. The big things that worried me though, and I just rewatched the video to confirm it: With Artest on the floor, Houston got Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady the ball where they wanted it most only once in a while. Meanwhile, Ron Artest went on more than a few dribble adventures, the vast majority of which ended badly. This team looks great thanks in no small part to fantastic role players like Brooks, Carl Landry, and Luis Scola. But I suspect there will be ball-sharing issues as the big three figure this out.

=======

Did anyone else notice this? How long do you think it will take for these three to really get how to play with eachother? McGrady is used to playing with the ball in his hands, and he likes to get the ball where everyone else is spread out to maximize his playmaking options. The problem is that this tends to slow down our half-court offense. I do like that the Rockets have made more of an effort to get him the ball in postups. I think T-Mac can work great in the high post, with either Yao or Artest flashing in the paint.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is certainly true, We just have to split it up evenly with whatever mismatches are present. The Yao/Artest High/Low was excellent.

Tracy will become more involved when he gets healthy....

3. desertfire

desertfire Member

It will take a while, but they are good enough to win most games while they adjust. It is a good problem to have! How many other teams would like to be figuring out how to work three players together like our big 3?

I thought his comment about Yao's "flood of turnovers" was funny. He had three. I mean Yao can do better than that, but a "flood"? That's a little too much hyperbole for me.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I didn't notice it, but I was just happy we were managing to score.

Any offense (good or bad) was like Picasso compared to the Memphis game. It is something to keep an eye out, but then again... the Rockets dropped 112 in an away game, maybe the Rockets are better off with more ball hogs, keeping it away from 'he-who-shall-not-be-named'.

5. GMAC

GMAC Member

I'm not too worried. McGrady and Yao don't have giant egos and it looks like Artest will keep his in check for the good of the team. Winning keeps everybody happy.

There will be points during the game when these guys need rest and Adelman has the luxury of sticking one or two of the big three in to dictate the game on their own terms. They'll get their shots. If it aint working, then change up the line up according. If it is working (like it was last night during the 4th), then leave the line up in and keep rolling.

That's why I like Adelman. He doesn't make subs by the numbers on the clock. If the players are in a good rhythm, he keeps them in the game. Aaron Brooks would never finish out a game and McGrady would never be on the bench in JVG's book.

6. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

"And despite a flood of turnovers, Yao Ming managed to score plenty."

Ummm...okaaaayyy "Henry".. Yao had only 3.. even most of the elite players in this game AVERAGE 4+ ...

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There may have been more turnovers than that which were given to the entry passer instead of Yao. The Rockets offense tends to be more turnover-prone when it's going through Yao. That's always been the case.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Time for McGrady to embrace a role as a finisher and a catch-and-shoot guy. I think he is the best finisher on the team as well as the most versatile offensive player. He needs to learn to score without dominating the ball. Hopefully he realizes that would make his life easier too.

9. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Tmac lead the team in assist for the last couple seasons and makes the game easier for a lot of the other players. Why would you want him to stop using one of his best skills to setup up our role players?

Artest is most likely going to the bench once Shane gets back into game shape. When we went to our bench, artest was the only starter that was playing with them. Seems Adelman wants artest to play with the bench brigade so he builds some kind of chemistry with them.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I did notice Artest taking a few T-Mac-ish shots, meaning shooting over a tight defender off the dribble. Those are NOT good shots for him. It only looked good when it was falling. That said, maybe Artest was feeling it last night, so he chucked.

11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

That will be hard to do. McGrady is at his best when he is passing out of double teams and playing a distributor role (he's the best on the team). I have no problem with him dominating the ball, just him taking so many bad shots.

12. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Agreed. Tmac is still, hands down, the best play-maker on this team (watch the end of the Grizzlies game) even on a bad wheel. If/when he can completely recover... man this team will be dangerous.

[/QUOTE]Artest is most likely going to the bench once Shane gets back into game shape. When we went to our bench, artest was the only starter that was playing with them. Seems Adelman wants artest to play with the bench brigade so he builds some kind of chemistry with them.[/QUOTE]

Nice observation, right now Artest is at his best when playing as an individual, leading the role players. It's almost as if he doesn't seem to acknowledge that he's playing with two all-stars when the ball is in his hands. Can't blame him though, he's only used to that.

More than anything, I would like to see him, Tmac, and Yao gel well together and actually become the dangerous 3-headed monster everyone wants them to be.

13. fryjol

fryjol Member

It´s great to see Artest take the game in his hands, that´s what we need, last night, benching Tmac in the 4th agains a direct rival was a master move by Adelman, he is showing everyone else in the league and inside the team that we are built to win, it does not matter who is in the court.

Besides, I can live with Ron being the clutch and Yao and Tmac taking us safe til the end of the games

14. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I don't think sharing the ball would be a big problem as the season goes on. Yesterday in the first quarter when all three were on the floor, Yao got plenty of touches. Tmac was also involved that he handed out a few assists. I think right now when all three are on the floor, Ron is trying to focus more on defense, and playing within the system. I think he also got one or two kick out passes from yao that lead to wide open threes. Ron started to really looking for his shot when he was playing with the second unit at the start of the second quarter, and sure he did end up badly several times, but he also got quite a few good plays.

Right now I am actually more worried about Tmac jacking up a shot that wasn't the best choice than Ron. Tmac is most amazing when he is playing as a distributor and using his ability to create shot for others. But sometimes he becomes trigger happy with his pull-up jumpers. He could be deadly with that when he got hot, but right now he just don't have the elevation he used to have. Hopefully he will get his shot back, and put up less of those heat-check jumpshots, then we will be truly unstoppable.

15. fryjol

fryjol Member

You´re right, but I believe until he gets healthy he will be happy taking the passengers seat. He has a lot of weapons right now, not only in Ron and Yao, but Scola and Landry´s finishing, Barry, Battier, and Brooks´s shooting. He will be happy racking up assists

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Honestly, I'd rather have Ron taking a shot than Tracy. He shoots better percentages across the board, especially while Tracy's injuries are resulting in flat jumpers. I'm much more comfortable with Tracy working the post as he has done often in the first two games.

I would love to see Tracy take a tertiary role in scoring the ball, and spend more of his energy setting up teammates and playing defense. I think he could easily pull off something like 18 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block.

#16 ClutchCityReturns, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Tracy operatoring in the post with a fair amount of easy in these 2 games.Hope he can keep it up. Ron doesn't have the best 3 point shot but right now I feel he is more likely to connect them as compared to McGrady.

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Ron's 3pt% over the past 2 years is .368 (177 of 481)

Tracy's 3pt% over the past 2 years is .314 (212 of 676)

Ron's 3pt% last year was .380 (84 of 221)

Tracy's 3pt% last year was .292 (86 of 295)

You should pretty much always feel better about Ron taking a 3.

19. chrod84

chrod84 Member

Tmac seems to be taking it in the lane more. However, i am concerned about his finishing. He seems really soft around the rim. Every time he goes in he's just hoping for a foul or attempts some crazy off balance acrobatic shot. As long as he can get to the line and make his free throws I think he will be our Mvp because he is best at managing the game. He is also capable of getting hot and exploding for 40 against any team in the league. I don't think he minds other players taking more shots. What will happen when artest goes on those dribbling adventures and his shot isn't falling? Hopefully he can check his ego, give up the ball, and keep up the defensive intensity.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw at least one terrific bounce pass by Artest to Yao that Yao handled and, I think (I'd have to watch the tape), Yao scored on. I'm not worried about Ron and Yao. In fact, I think they're going to be great together, as long as both can stay on the court.