1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

True or False: Tyler White will be/ is our DH of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Aug 28, 2018.

?

Pick one

1. Real: yes, I believe so

42 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. False: absolutely not

31 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. what

what Member

Somehow I feel that tyler white has just suddenly started to ramp up how good he is: and how good of a weapon he can be.
    Tyler white being our everyday dh supplanting Gattis, real or false?

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He is a legit mlb hitter. Whether or not he’s a superstar, which is what he’d be if his performance this season continued, remains to be seen. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he was the everyday 1B next season, with Gurriel shifting to a utility role and another player (Reed? A cheap vet free agent?) getting the DH spot.

Among players with 100+ PA this season, White ranks 3rd in wRC+, behind Mike Trout and JD Martinez, just in front of Mookie Betts.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

False. You cannot supplant someone that has already been supplanted. There was no sudden ramp up as he's been an above average hitter since his September call up in 2016. Only thing that has been sudden is that he's gotten enough playing time to give more evidence he's an above average MLB hitter.

kaleidosky and FLASH21 like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

DH sure. Not sure at all about extended time at 1B, where he has the range of a small boulder.

mikol13 and kaleidosky like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of Tyler White...I am glad this poster's trade idea didn't get realized in 2016:

I think, while springers stock is still I, I would deal him for pitching and watch we can get.

Bregman is the real deal and correa's a stud. To me springer is the odd guy odd. I wish we had kept velasquez.

Springer is a good player but he is not a great player and he is easily replaceable.

mikol13 and kaleidosky like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros have played Gurriel there. Not sure the drop off is that big a deal. Granted, no reason to play White at first unless there is a DH that is even worse at first than him.

#6 Joe Joe, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think there's a real good chance he'll be our everyday 1B next year, and Gurriel (+ Kemp) will fill the Marwin Gonzalez/full-time DH role.

kaleidosky likes this.
  8. htownbball

htownbball Member

Wait...are we really going to use Gurriel as a utility guy? And pay him $10M? And replace him with Tyler White?

Why wouldn't we just put White at DH and keep Yuli at 1B?

Tomstro and donkeypunch like this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

White appears to have the inside track on replacing Gattis as DH next year.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Yep.

Whites improvement may have shut the door on Marwin.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Yep.

Because you are losing Marwin.

12. Hey Now!

Marwin has totaled 518, 515 and is on pace to get to 550 PAs these last three seasons. Yuli would be in the line-up nearly everyday, either as the primary 1B or DH, or spot-starting around the infield/filling in for a hurt player. It'd likely result in a decrease of ~50-75 PA/season. But Tyler White is a better hitter.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not in his top 10 for worst ideas.

And I said trading George Springer for Matt Harvey makes sense for both teams...

14. Hey Now!

(Was that me?........... he asked nervously.....)

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If that were you, I would have posted it in a thread you started. :)

kaleidosky likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Marwin had a full-time role last year by accident, and this year by design. You'd be losing full-seasons of Marwin and Gattis and replacing them with full-seasons of Tucker and White next year, most likely. The utility role will go to a cheap utility player, I'd imagine.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Marwin plays 3, 4, 6, 5 and 7.

White only plays a passable 3.

Marwin may be gone. IDIOT. It will be interesting to see what a utility IF (albeit a very good one) can get on the free market.

18. Hey Now!

They have one: Yuli Gurriel plays 3, 4 and 5; when he plays 5, Bregman can shift to 6. Kemp can take the OF reps. I think that's where they're headed.

craigharmann and No Worries like this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I like Yuli's defense far more than White any of the positions. Although seeing either of them at 2B is scary. Yuli could also play left field in this stage of his career... he apparently played centerfield and shortstop in Cuba.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It's weird when we all agree...and definitely indicative of direction. I see it as purely dependent on the market's willingness to pay Marwin--

If Marwin is a lot cheaper than we initially expected b/c of his half-season slump
    1) Marwin back as Util, White 75% DH, Yuli 75% 1B

If Marwin gets paid $10M annually by someone (won't be us)
    2) Yuli to Util (replacing Marwin), White 75% 1B, Gattis back as DH if he's super cheap unexpectedly / most likely some other cheap DH with an interesting upside or Moneyball profile

Either way, White is getting 500+ ABs next season. Remember when he was trying out some SS, 3B, LF? Utility shark! :)