1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Troy Murphy's future

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by keeley, Mar 8, 2000.

1. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

alright, so an admin doesn't know where the heck a thread should go. This isn't about a Rocket, but it's possibly NBA related, so here goes:

NEW YORK (IE) - You be the judge.

Since IrishEyes specializes in journalism, not psychiatry, here is Troy Murphy's complete acceptance address after being named Big East Conference Player of the Year Tuesday evening. We will choose not to parse the words of a 19-year-old college sophomore.

"I like to start by taking this opportunity to congratulate all the other players, coach (Jim) Boeheim, it's been a great year for the Conference. I'd like to thank God, I'd like to thank my parents, they've been there for me in tough times. The coaching staff, coach (Bob) MacKinnon, coach (Doug) Wojick, coach (Fred) Q(uartlebaum), coach (David) Cason. I'd like to thank my teammates, they've been a great bunch of guys to play with, I love playing with them."

Now pay special attention to this closing section.

"I'd like to take also a special time to say thanks to coach (Matt) Doherty. He's helping me so much this year, it meant a lot to me to play for you, just looking forward to next year."

Just looking forward to next year.

Within minutes, the notebooks, microphones and mini-cams descended upon Murphy and Doherty. The subject of Notre Dame's sophomore foregoing his final two years of eligibility to enter the NBA Draft has been taboo since February 2, when Doherty politely but indisputably informed the media that neither he or Murphy would answer any additional questions on it until after the season. Was this Murphy's formal announcement?

You're not that lucky, Notre Dame Nation. Murphy may indeed be back in South Bend for the 2000-2001 season, but he has not made up his mind.

"I was just trying to express to Coach Doherty how grateful I was for what he has done this year, how happy I am to have opportunity to play for," said Murphy. "He's really a great person."

Murphy later acknowledged to IrishEyes that he realized the second the words "next year" came out that he "would have to answer a lot of questions. I really meant nothing but respect for coach Doherty."

Before Murphy met the press, Doherty quietly pulled his star aside and told him "say what you want, but just be careful." Doherty needs Murphy and his entire team focused on the task at hand - beating Rutgers Wednesday night in the first round of the Big East Tournament.

"I don't know, I don't want to read into anything," said Doherty. "He was just talking, who knows what he was thinking when he said that. We'll still sit down after the season and evaluate where he is, what he wants to do and go from there. Right now we are just focused on Rutgers."

Murphy earned the Big East Player of the Year honor by leading the conference in both scoring (21.7) and rebounding (10.5). Overall, he is averaging 23 points and 10.5 boards per contest, with 18 double-doubles in ND's 30 games (17-13). He was a six-time Player of the Week selection this year, sufficiently following up his Big East Rookie of the Year honor in 1999.

But Doherty realizes Murphy is still a work in progress.

"Troy probably needs to improve on little things like boxing out and defense," said Doherty. "Defense is probably the biggest things most kids need to improve. Offensively I'd like to see his game go out even more toward the jab series from the three-point line. If he wants to bring a big man out, he can shoot it, drive it. He started that a little bit during the Georgetown game (Saturday).

"The next phase," Doherty continued. "is bringing it every game defensively. Maybe next year or in the future we'll play more man-to-man and he will be more responsible for an individual player."

Doherty, who enjoyed a very special relationship during his playing days at North Carolina with head coach Dean Smith, was genuinely moved by Murphy's acceptance remarks.

"It was very touching. As a parent you dream about a connection with your children. When he says those things, it's very touching," said Doherty. "I wanted the whole experience, I don't want just a basketball experience. I want the emotional bond with my players, and when he says those things it really warms your heart. It's more than just basketball, it's life lessons. I'm not always easy on him, I'm hard on him. I'm hard on my son. But I'm quick to put my arm around him. (Murphy's) a great kid, a beautiful kid."

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Oh man, if he comes out, the Rockets should do whatever they have to (except trade francis) to get this guy. He is the "next" Larry Bird. I think he is ready to come out. His game is perfect for the NBA. Hell, nobody in the NBA plays D anymore, so he really doesn't have to work on that [​IMG]

Thanks for the article Keel

------------------
    If you tell a joke in the forest, but nobody laughs, was it a joke?--Steven Wright

3. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I have a bad feeling that he's going to come out this year. The factors that could convince him to come back to ND:

- his defense needs lots of work
    - the team is young, and if he wants to play in the tournament, it looks like next year when Ryan Humphreys becomes eligible... unless they go on an upset frenzy in the Big East tourney
    - Matt Doherty

I'm starting to think that he's a goner, though, especially if he continues to play like he did last night throughout the rest of the postseason.

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

We can't draft him, Mike, he's white.

Besides, who did Notre Dame beat this year?

D'oh, d'oh, d'oh.